vvdusen

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I have Windows XP installed on a 500gb Seagate partitioned into 2 drives. For some reason the drive keeps changing back to pio mode. I already went in to device manager and uninstalled the drive and when I reboot it says udma mode 5 but after a while it keeps changing back to pio mode for some reason. This makes my games run at almost half the framerate. Is my hard drive going bad or is there something not set right? It is a sata drive and I have 2 120gb ide drives installed that don't seem to give me any problems. Suggestions?

For one make sure you're using an 80 wire IDE cable on the IDE harddrives.

That has to be a problem with your IDE drives. SATA can't run in PIO mode. At least I've never heard of such a thing. Since it's sata and uses serial connection.

I had this problem when I had two IDE optical drives connected to one IDE cable. Unplug a IDE hard drive and see if you still have the same problem. Assuming they're on the same cable.

sturm

Splendid
Change the cable and see if it works.
It could be the drive going out. I had that happen at school. Drive kept going to pio mode, and this was on a SATA drive. It ended up failing completly.