CPU and MOBO temps in Prime 95

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Hi everyone me again,

My system:
e6750 finally OC'd to just 2.8
4GB Corsair twinmx2 6400C4 ram @ 4-4-4-12 and 850MHZ
ASUS Striker Extreme BIOS 1305 (NOT beta)
2x 8800 GTS SC 320 in SLI (eVGA)
2 HDD's
1 DVD/RW
SB XFi Extreme Gamer with the Xram (useless?)

I am running prime 95 and my CPU goes from 43-48 C idle to a whopping 68-70C under load (both cores).
My mobo reaches a whopping 50C.

Is this too high?

My case is the Antec TX1050B full tower and I have a stock HSF with Arctic silver 5 thermal paste...a 12cm exhaust fan, a 92mm fan aimed at the cpu from the side, an 80mm exhaust aimed at the GPU's, and two more 80mm's as intakes (one below the HDD's one infront of them), also my PSU:
Seasonic S12 80+ 650W has two fans.

Plenty of air, but HOT!

Advice is grealty appreciated.

If you advise a new HSF I can only get them from www.canadacomputers.com
link: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=FN.349

Thanks all!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
What are you using to get temp readings?
It is OCed which will boost temps
You are using stock cooler (not the best for coolness)
What is the ambient temps?

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Ambient temp is under 23.
I use nvidia's ntune to get the temps.
And the temps are the same when at stock 2.66 ghz.

hmmm I am stuck

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
OMG dont use nTune....

TAT (intels cooler)
SpeedFan i believe goes ok... cant remember any others... have you tried just looking in the BIOS? this will be fairly acurate... more so then nTune anywayz

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
ok With speedfan and a downclock back to 2.66 (the overclock did not do much) my temps are...
idle: temp1 40. temp 2 46. CPU 0?..internal 111C holy S^*T this can't be right!
load with prime 95: temp1 63 max. temp 2 46. CPU 0?

how do I read these numbers? there is a little fire icon next to internal temp (load and idle) and one next to temp 1 under load.

oh boy maybe it is a compatibility issue!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Get the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler
with the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan I believe they have a Canadian site. Be careful the Ultra120 on HS Factory doesn't come with mounting hardware it needs to be purchased separately.

I know you need to get them in Canada, but they are available up there. Your temp problems will disappear.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
He's not going to fry his CPU, but those temps are hot. Especially for a dual core. He should junk the stock POS HS and get a better one. A cool CPU is a happy CPU.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Zorg, although the accuracy of bornking's temperatures are unknown, the Intel's specifications for the E6750 are Tcase Max (CPU) 72c and Tjunction Max (Core) 100c. Since the temperatures are always constrained by the Tcase Max spec due to the constant Tcase to Tjunction Delta of 10c, then at Tcase Max 72c, Tjunction would be 82c. These are the temperatures which bornking should not exceed, however, if we apply a 12c safety margin, then his limits would be Tcase (CPU) 60c and Tjunction (Core) 70c.

As bornking stated, Temp 1 (Tcase or CPU) is 63c and Core (Tjunction) is 68c to 70c, which taken at face value would indicate that his temps are in the "Warm" area of the thermal scale for his C2D. I completely agree with you that he should replace Intel's low-end lame excuse for a CPU cooler with at least a mid-range solution, but as it appears that bornking could benefit from learning how to understand and calibrate his temperatures, I suggested that he read the Guide.

Bornking, a Q6600 requires a decent CPU cooler, so as Zorg suggested, an upgrade would be an excellent idea. If you want to feel certain about how to proceed, then the best advice I can offer is to please read the Guide. I'm sure it will answer all your questions.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
CompuTronix, where did you ever get the idea that I didn't think that bornking, or anyone else, should read your guide? I never said that, or even alluded to it. To clear up any misconceptions, bornking read his guide.

Ok Ok you win, his temperatures are just warm. Really warm in relation to the average. I would even say hot. It's kind of how you look at it. I did preface my comment with the words "He's not going to fry his CPU", so I agree with you, he could probably let the whole thing ride. This of course assumes he is monitoring his temps correctly. And that he is using the latest revision 25.4 of prime95, or he understands that he needs to run multiple instances of the older revision. All of these things are a little murky. So to be on the safe side, with regards to CPU longevity, he should probably bring his temps down to the average temps for that CPU. His temps, being that they are significantly higher than average, indicate a bad installation of the stock HS, even though he thinks that it is installed correctly. This assumption is further reinforced by the fact that he appears to have good case cooling, and the ambient temp is 23c. I submit these graphs from Anandtech. They were not using prime95, but the disparity in load temperature will give you some idea of the reason for my concern. In case you were wondering, both he and Anandtech used the Nvidia nTune program to monitor temps. Now remember my motto, A cool CPU is a happy CPU. :)

AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme: Is More Better?

huk7qh.jpg

168y0l2.jpg

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

The idle temperature is fine, but the load temperature is too hot. Intel's thermal design limit for Core 2 is 70C. I'll look up the technical document tomorrow.

You should try and steer away from 60s as much as possible, as prolonged operation under such temperature is potentially damaging to your motherboard as well as CPU.

Don't worry about your motherboard temperature, as they are the result of SLi-ed 8800GTS. My 8800GTS singlehandedly raised my case temperature by at least 10C.

However, for your CPU, try to get something better for HSF.

EDIT: didn't see Computronix's more detailed post up there. Sorry about that.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Ok I am looking for availability of the thermalright ultra 120 extreme in Canada (eh) and it is not easy, I must order it online (sigh). Prices range from ~50-~70.

I am flabbergasted by everyone's enthusiasm to help me out with this heat issue thank you!

I am also very glad no one suggested water cooling because it is way over my budget and I am not really interested in it anyway.

Thank you all, it is folks like you that make this board great!
(I wish everyone at my company were as enthusiastic...I am in solar energy btw)
Cheers!

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
When installing the backplate can U use some kind of dampening material in between the backplate and the mobo? like rubber or foam or something?
This thing is a beast should i worry about it's weight?
Perhaps leave my PC on it's side...or would that scratch my dvd's?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The back plate comes with a piece if plastic, make sure it is centered around the central square of foam, but don't modify it. Be sure to remove the paper cover off of the square of foam. Install the HS and fan before you install the mobo, or it becomes a PITA. The HS isn't too heavy, unless you are going to be moving the case all over the place. If so, some people tie wrapped the HS to the top of the case. This may be an exercise in futility for a few reasons. When you set the case down do it very softly and you won't have a problem. Don't bother setting the case on it's side.