Help: Calibrating my Q6600

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Hi, i need a hand in calibrating my Q6600 (b3) :D

Mobo: Maximus Formula
Memo: Corsair DDR2-800

I followed the guide in here (great guide btw), but i'm finding problems following the calibration part.

These are the steps i did and the results:

Computer Case Covers = Removed
Computer Case Fans = Manual 100% <- The Antec900 control the fans through with my TPII 480W, they are running at high, 3rd setting.
Computer Frequency = 1.6 Ghz (used 8x200)
Connectivity Status = Offline
CPU Fan = Manual, 100% <-- I dont have the option to control it in the bios, but i saw it running at full 12xxrpm (its a Noctua 1200 over an Ultra120 eXtreme).
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled <- dont have in my bios, does it have another name?
Enhanced C1 Control (C1E) = Disabled
PECI (If Equipped) = Enabled <-dont have in my bios
Windows Programs = Closed
Speed Step (EIST) = Disabled <-dont have in my bios
Vcore = Manual 1.25
Ambient Temp is 22c

Now, i record the bios temps and here is when my dubts starts.

CPU temp is 46c.
I reseated the CPU and changed the thermal paste.(my ultra is lapped, but cpu not).

Lets continue, i bootup up and ran speedfan, the hottest core is 23c; CPU is still 46.
Crystal CPUID gave me a 3d which is a 61.
so TJunction Max 100c - 61 = Tjunction 39
Tjunction hottest Core should be Ambient (22c) + 10c +/- 3 = 35c ?

39 vs 35, i'm not picky..but!

From now, how do it continue? should i correct the Tcase? or the tcase is correct and the hottest core should be corrected by 15c? i'm confused here and obviously, i dont want to burn anything :)

I was planning to install the stock HS and measure everything again, i dont know what to think about that temperature difference between TJunction and Tcase.
I download every program i know and all gives me more less the same tcase!
Edit: Coretemp gives me a hottest core temp of 40c, which is almost the 23+15 =38c that speedfan gives me.

Heelp? :)

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Coretemp is the most reliable for the Q6600. A temp of 40C is normal, however you downclocked to 1.6Ghz., so the temps should be around 30C at the highest. You also have a decent cooler, further proving the fact the temps should be closer to 30C. This is idle temps right?

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
yes idle!

I'm clueless about that temp, I have a good case, good cooler, good path ventilation inside the case, the only thing left is to use a thermal paste like arctic 5?

At the begging I was getting a 67c with stock voltage and FSB. So I lapped the HS (it was kind of rounded) and got 62c. So yes, imagine the rounded parte I mentioned. ;)

Anyways, I know it should not be the HS, since after the lapped, it dropped considerable but 42 downclocked? i dont know what temp believe, if the hottestcore or the tcase! ;)

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Have you tried bringing down the CPU VID to it's lowest possible?

Have you tried using good quality TIM like AS5?

Enable speedstep for further lower temps.

If all else fails, lap the cpu. There is a guide on it in the overclocking section.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
u2vini, it sounds like you skipped over reading the Guide, and jumped straight into the Calibrations. It's important to follow the Guide in sequence. While your rig is set up according to Part 1, your next task is to calibrate Tjunction. Your BIOS thermal algorithms are quite obviously incorrect. This is a common problem. Configure the appropriate offset correction in SpeedFan according to Part 2.

I'll check back for your results, then we'll move on to the next steps.

Evilonigiri, the OP is in the middle of following a specific set of procedures, so we don't want him to shift gears. Also, the following is from the Guide regarding AS5:

Section 14: Recommendations

(B) Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, which is far more popular than it is effective. The first link shown below is to a very in-depth Thermal Interface Material (TIM) comparison that was posted 2/2/07 on Tom's Overclocking - Cooler and Heatsinks Forum, which was conducted by DaSickNinja. This 6 page thread is very revealing, however, the review has been moved to the second link shown below, Xtreme CPU.

DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221751-29-daclan-review-thermal-interface-shootout#t1653411

Note: Due to Tom's servers forcing asterisks in the link below, when clicked it will cause "This page cannot be displayed". Simply backspace the 3 asterisks and type x_c_p_u_s without underscores, then press enter.

Thermal Interface Material Comparison: http://www.***.com/forums/case-psu-cooling/3902-thermal-interface-material-comparison.html

Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 is simply the best Thermal Interface Material for CPU cooling.

X23 is available at the following sites:
http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=16932
http://www.ajigo-store.com/se7783d.html
http://www.crazypc.com/products/50118.html
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=496&osCsid=78

Comp :sol:

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Comp, thanks you for your time in helping me:

I followed the steps as below:
Part 2: Tcase Offset Correction
(a) Ambient 24 (22 in the morning, 24 at night, now is night for me) ;)
(b) Record bios temp as: cpu 50, mb 31, nb 41, sb 43
(c) TCase is not ambient +1
(d) Speed fan after reboot and 10 minutes is: cpu 49, system 32, aux 29 (i dont know whats sys or aux, but i guess is mb and something else ;) I corrected the offset in speedfan for TCase from 49 to 24+1.

Part 3: Tjunction DTS Validation
(a) Hottest core is 29
(b, c, d) 0x88380000 -> 38 (5tg and 6tg)
(e, f) 56
(g, h) B3, 7 -> B3 Stepping 100 - result 56 = TJunction 44c

Part 4: Tjunction Offset Correction
(a) Tjunction hottest Core should indicate: ambient 24 + 10c +/-3 = max 37 vs 44?
(b) Correction? Tjunction (29, 27, 25, 25) to +15 = 44, 42, 40, 40
This matches exactly with what CoreTemp 0.95.4 shows.

At this point i have the following:
TCase: 25
TJunction: 44,42,40,40

Is this correct? the TCase so low? did i miss something?

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
stop...stop..ssss...top! :)

I just check Asus Support and the last BIOS update is no longer a beta and now it says...."Finetune CPU temperature detection algorithm".

hell yeah! i will update it and re check everything later.

Stay tune! ;)

u2vini

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Ok, new BIOS, new values:

Part 2: Tcase Offset Correction
(a) Ambient 23
(b) Record bios temp as: cpu 28
(c) TCase is not ambient +1 :)
(d) Speedfan after 10 minutes is: cpu 26 . Should i correct the values in speedfan to 24c? (ambient +1)

Part 3: Tjunction DTS Validation
(a) Hottest core is 22 (acording to speedfan and 40 according to hottest core in CoreTemp)
(b, c, d, e, f) 60
(g, h) B3 Stepping 100 - result 60 = TJunction 40c (match with hottest core in CoreTemp)

Part 4: Tjunction Offset Correction
(a) Tjunction hottest Core should indicate: ambient 24 + 10c +/-3 = max 37 vs 40? i guess is aceptable due several other conditions (paste, cooler, etc)
(b) Correction? Tjunction (22, 22, 22, 22) to +15 = 37, 37, 37, 37
Should i change the 15 to 18 to match what i got in the Part 3?

What about the TCase? 28c BIOS, 26c Speedfan, 24c guide. I think we are close enough to leave it in 26c, right?

Any insight would be apreciated! ;)