nick111

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I have OCZ Platinum revision II memory rated at 4-4-4-15 1.9 volts and
Crucial Ballistix 6400 rated at 2.1 volts. My question is if I set the voltage to mobo default of 1.8 volts what will the memory clocks read?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
mixing memory is never a good thing. Sometimes it never works and will blue screen or cause other instability issues. Sometimes it will work but provide massive performance hits. Other times it will work without a hitch...

regarding the timings..It will always clock all the sticks at the slowest speed support by the chips. If you get a ddr2 1066 kit and pop them in with a let's say...667 kit..It will clock all the memory to 667...same with timings...slowest timings are matched...

Mixing really isn't worth it...

nick111

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I explained it wrong. I don't intend to mix memory with different brands. If I use the OCZ Platinum revision II memory rated at 4-4-4-15 1.9 volts, what will the timings be if I were to lower the voltage to 1.8
Same question for the Crucial Ballistix 6400 rated at 2.1 volts and Corsair XMS. thanks

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Voltage doesn't have anything to do with the timings. It does if you want to make them tighter and what not as most OC'ers do. But lowering the voltage won't effect timings. The system can become unstable and blue screen or other instability issues may occur.

The timings on modules are their specified timings for default operation. The voltage is what those requirements need. lowering the voltage doesn't really do much on the timing aspect....You should always run your memory at manufacturer spec. If they say 1.9 volts..run it at 1.9 with their timings suggested. If you want to tighten timings give it a go and check with memtest to see if it's stable. If you want to OC or tighten the timings...a voltage increase will help. Also...When you pop in memory it will most likely use the Default SPD timings..Which are the timing modules recommended for your memory. You can check these with CPU-z...Also some modules have multiple timings based on different operation speeds. I really don't know why you want to lower your voltage....I've never really thought about loosening the timings and decreasing the voltage below their suggested requirements. It might work or might not considering they need a certain amount of power to run..But why would you want to loosen up your timings?..that doesn't make sense since it would decrease performance...

Hope that helps...