system:-
ASROCK ALIVE NF6G-DVI motherboard socket AM2
2GB DDR2 ELEXIR value ram
Nvidia 8600GT 256mb GPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, socket AM2 CPU
Linksys 108mbps wireless network card
XCILENCE Gaming 480w PSU
ASUS DVD/RW drive (IDE)
an old 80GB WDD 2mb IDE HDD (think this may be the problem, from an old machine)

Well basically i have just updated my system so i can start playing the new games that look awesome, but i was running a 6yr old HP system with Radeon 9000 GPU (cack system). decided enough is enough.

ordered the new bits, put it all together, realised the mobo only has 1 IDE slot (i have 2 IDE bits of hardware), started to worry about the reliability issue.

Well, started it up, it says do you want to start windows normally, hit yes, windows loading logo appears in a flash followed by THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH for a flash also, then it goes back to the beginning again.

tried making sure the bios is loading the correct devices in the correct order, flashed the mobo bios, swapped IDE master around.

I'm getting nothing, even taken the GPU out and told it to use onboard graphics.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, this must have happened to loads of people. Could certainly do with a hand guys.

Thanx...

ashman

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
just thought i'd chase this up, i'm really stuck. thinking im gonna have to buy a new hard drive and re install all my programs. was trying not to do that for now.

please help if you can

ashman

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
how do i make a memory test form of media to run on my pc when i dont have a floppy drive to hand, tried it on a usb memory stick but it says it cannot run from it.

should i just buy a sata2 HDD, reinstall my life on the new HDD. just everyone knows how much music videos games and photos an avid pc user has. fortunately i have backed up most of it already.

so can anyone help, and aid me not having to buy a new HDD for £40?