BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
News is out that Hector Ruiz has been replaced.....

as the Chairman of the Board of Spansion, one of the world's largest sellers of NOR and now NAND flash. Spansion is also the first to use 300mm wafers, see Fabtech.org.

Admit it, you thought it was replaced as CEO of AMD. :non:

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Hmm...

I believe it would have been more beneficial for AMD if he had been replaced there too.

But this could be a foreshadow of things to come at AMD???

One can dream! :)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Hey it got me too when I saw it on AMD Zone. He has done a good job with the resources he has. They did regain share in Q2 and probably will in Q3 as Barcelona ramps. The key will be slowing the 90nm Opteron production as that will keep ASPs lower.

I hope he pulls it off, but I am worried!

My predictions:

- AMD won't get Barcelona up to 2.5 GHZ this year
- AMD will get to 2.5ghz Quad Core on 65nm (sometime in 2008), but they won't be able to surpass 2.5 ghz in the quad core variety on 65nm

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
May i ask why did they release spansion its a very profitable business is it not? also according to faud the new a2 rev clocks to 3ghz no sweat which is like 1 in 100 just like everything else reported on fudzilla.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I have to disagree. They did get the BA rev out at 95W @ 2GHz. Digitimes reported that B2 and B3 revs are being readied. You have to remember that the qualification process is more strenuous for Opteron. The problem isn't process or manufacturing it's money. Way back I said the losses may delay it a little. It's got a pretty good retail presence two weeks after the launch and Dell is already advertising them.

Jeez I am sure the baron works for AMD now ... heh heh.

I liked Hector's rags to riches story too ... poor Mexican kid crosses border to the US gets an Engineering degree and makes good. Thats a good story ... I like a how hard work and study prevail in the face of adversity ... onya Hector !!!

Now deliver us a decent Phenom chip (X2, X3 or X4 or XX) we can stick in our assdragging AMD64 mobos s so we can catchup ... please??

Or it's mobo transplant time and hello Intel ...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

No I don't work for AMD. What are you catching up with? the software? AMD is already ahead of the software. Just like I didn't really care when AMD was leading I don't now. All I care abotu is getting a CPU that does what I want from my preferred vendor. I didn't buy an FX51, 53, 55, or FX60, so the title of fastest chip has no meaning.

True dat. I've never gone out and bought the fastest CPU available. The most I ever spent on a processor was a Pentium III 500mhz (the best available was the 550mhz, and it cost $400 more!)

My current S939 Opteron 175 was a very good value.

This just in: Hector Ruiz Quits As CEO of AMD Effective Immediately! Dirk Meyer now CEO.

Looks like you called it, only 10 months early :sol: