Finalising build - advice appreciated!

Parvinum

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hi, after several days of learning and searching I've pretty much sorted my build, but I'd just like to post the components and check if I've made any silly decisions or mistakes with people much more experienced than I!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC

Motherboard I'm slightly unsure about, was thinking about the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R but read about some problems with memory timings. I'm not fussed about SLI or raid, but I would really like something quality and may end up doing a bit of overclocking. The ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP seemed to have a good reputation and inbuilt wireless is handy.

Other components include:

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache

LiteOn 20X SATA DVD±RW/RAM

and I'm reusing a X1950XT graphics card, a corsair 520W PSU and possibly an old IDE hard drive. This is all going in a NZXT LEXA BlackLine Red Mid Tower Case I think.

Does anyone have a similar system and can recommend a stable ram/mobo pair to go with the CPU? or will the OCZ and P5K-E mentioned suffice? Thanks in advance!

G

As far as the Mobo, I thought the same thing. Decided to go with the P35-DS3R instead. The P35C only supports up to 4GB of DDR3 memory. By the time that memory comes down in price, I think I'd rather have 8GB of DDR2 memory instead. That and P35-DS3R has a better reputation at the moment for being a good reliable OCing board.

What OS are you to be running? I went with 4GB (2x2GB) so that in another year or two I can buy another 2 sticks and have 8GB w/out having to throw away any memory. But you would have to be running Vista or XP-64 to get full usage of that 4GB. Just my thoughts/preferences. Hope it helped a little.

I've recommended the GA-P35-DS3R a few hundred times recently. However, since you need wireless features and you don't mention a soundcard, I'd say Asus is your best choice. Asus onboard audio is better than Gigabyte's (i.e. ADI better than Realtek).

deuce is right, get 2x2GB rather than 1 GB sticks.

If you can afford the difference get a Q6600. It will help in Crysis, for example.