Sign in with
Your question

the Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2007 8:42:46 PM

from .......
http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=16176&c...

One rumor related to the upcoming unveiling of AMD's dark side tell us that the company is preparing a new Black Edition CPU. The first was the Athlon X2 6400+ but now it seems AMD is ready to release the Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition.

The processor would be built on 65nm and be clocked at the 'regular' 2.6GHz and have 1MB of L2 cache, the same as the non-Black Edition version but, it ill differentiate itself by having an unlocked multiplier. That would make overclocking a little easier but for now, let's leave it in 'rumor stage' as we are hoping AMD's dark side is a little more serious than that. Just a few more hours and the snake will go away and leave the web space open for new hardware (or software).
September 25, 2007 8:48:39 PM

wow paint the chip black and then cover with a cooler that is some great marketing! lol!

this is better:

intel c2d foot on the amd stock!

or the new one:

do you dare waste your money on socket change after socket change -- amds socket for 2009 is am13
September 25, 2007 8:50:12 PM

You know, dragonsprayer, what AMD's "Do you dare" is about?

Its about this 5000+ Athlon X2 Black Edition!!

Seriously, someone needs to tell Hector to step down. This is getting really ridiculous.
Related resources
September 25, 2007 9:03:23 PM

i dare not try it as i might commit sucide while waiting for it too boot

hey you got pile on the dog pile while you can

new marketing using slowskys trying to make the system look faster!~

September 25, 2007 9:06:36 PM

From game.amd.com

Quote:

Processors available soon at your favorite online participant. Until then...

Do I smell a paper launch?
September 25, 2007 9:06:55 PM

wait the new amd altered states marketing campaign - giant shrooms with every pc - little tripping while waiting for it to boot

"amd worth tripping over"
September 25, 2007 9:07:48 PM

I hear they are going to sell amd chips at wallmart next to the pencils
September 25, 2007 9:09:48 PM

In AMDs defense... changing chipsets... changing sockets... whats the difference? You have no argument against AMD there.

I think this black edition is just a way to help get rid of AMDs brisbane stock. It'll sell, there is no doubt about it, but with Phenom around the corner, it wouldn't be a very good consumer choice in my eyes.

And Dragon... your hatred for AMD has no merit. Both companies are evil and are out to make money... thats it. Intel did the same junk back in the Netburst days.
September 25, 2007 9:10:10 PM

ill be tripping on that mushroom for a month :) 
the colors man the colors, all 16.7 million i see them all ..hehehe
September 25, 2007 9:28:01 PM

dragonsprayer said:

i hear you will sell preservatives for flea with a picture of you! Just to people see the real size of fleas d..k.
September 25, 2007 10:14:31 PM

ok guys...can we stop this outburst of fanboyism on both side? This is getting ridiculous.

For AMD, at the moment, there is no 3Ghz Phenom X4 on the road map. There is no 2.0Ghz Barcelona on the market, while 1.9Ghz has been in extremely short supply.

On Intel's side, Intel will charge you double the price you see today for a CPU, if AMD goes under. Adding to that, Intel may be investigated by SEC to see if a monopolizing action has been taken against AMD.

No one wants AMD to tank, or Intel to dominate. But please, someone, just tell Hector that he needs to get his head around. They are losing a lot of money these days, and now they're losing their fans.
September 25, 2007 10:51:19 PM

Quote:
Phenom Quad core X4 3Ghz + Amd Cpus will be back on top in 2008 where AMD belongs and C2D can kiss it then!

So what you are saying is that it is going to take a 3ghz+ X4 to beat a C2D? :lol: 
Well the C2D had a good run, Good thing that Intel has had quads for a while now.
September 25, 2007 11:07:03 PM

yomamafor1 said:
ok guys...can we stop this outburst of fanboyism on both side? This is getting ridiculous.

For AMD, at the moment, there is no 3Ghz Phenom X4 on the road map. There is no 2.0Ghz Barcelona on the market, while 1.9Ghz has been in extremely short supply.

On Intel's side, Intel will charge you double the price you see today for a CPU, if AMD goes under. Adding to that, Intel may be investigated by SEC to see if a monopolizing action has been taken against AMD.

No one wants AMD to tank, or Intel to dominate. But please, someone, just tell Hector that he needs to get his head around. They are losing a lot of money these days, and now they're losing their fans.

There are plenty of Barcelona 2GHz chips. Perhaps AMD is charging a premium for them.

http://www.directron.com/os2350wal4bg.html

http://www.directron.com/os8350wal4bg.html

Those look like 2GHz chips to me. Lose your bias. Embrace the duopoly.
September 25, 2007 11:23:43 PM

Uh, Provide a real vendor, not Directron.

As noted on the page, they do not actually have any of these chips but rather when you order them from directron they will submit your order to somebody else.

The 1.9s are difficult to obtain and the 2.0s are not available via any e-tailer. I'm sure some exist, but likely all gong to Dell and other large server vendors.

At this point, even after huge delays and reduced clock speeds, they are still having a hard time producing any chips.

It's not bias. It's simple fact.
They don't even have chips to spare for AMD fanboy review sites.

September 25, 2007 11:37:17 PM

zenmaster said:
Uh, Provide a real vendor, not Directron.

As noted on the page, they do not actually have any of these chips but rather when you order them from directron they will submit your order to somebody else.

The 1.9s are difficult to obtain and the 2.0s are not available via any e-tailer. I'm sure some exist, but likely all gong to Dell and other large server vendors.

At this point, even after huge delays and reduced clock speeds, they are still having a hard time producing any chips.

It's not bias. It's simple fact.
They don't even have chips to spare for AMD fanboy review sites.

I would say that that's your opinion. Just as what I said was mine. Oh wait, they're getting them from somewhere. Maybe Dell is selling them to 'em. I can admit that Newegg only had 2347 and now there is no Barcelona category but Newegg sells so many CPUs that we can only say they sold a lot and don't want to pay a premium.

I'm sure they could send chips or even systems to everyone but Intel's resources make people say, you can't produce as many as Intel, YOU SUCK. At the same time Intel has pulled some things to keep AMD down. I would say that they are working to get the higher-clocked revs as soon as possible and the shipping rev was a limited supply.

A cherry-picked 65nm chip will hit 3.2GHz or so. That almost means anything below 6750 will lose out. I'm interested to see some OC benches of it.
September 26, 2007 12:01:05 AM

Well, I doubt "Dell" is selling them to "Directon'.
I just looked, Dell does not have them yet either.

They are simply "Coming Soon".

HP only lists the old Opterons as choices.
Not even a coming soon.

Clearly, AMD is having serious issues producing these chips.

I'm not saying "AMD Sucks", I'm simply stating they If I wanted to buy a server today from a Major Server vendor I could not buy one with the new AMD Opertons. Nor could I find an etailer that actually claims to have them in stock to buy it.

Directron is one of many sites which simply list products which are on somebodies price list. They don't maintain the stock themselves. Perhaps they have a secret supplier that will ship to them and no other server vendor or etailer can get them, but that seems like a stretch.

Sincer server chips tend to sell for more than desktop chips and they can't provide the sufficient server chips, I really can't see the desktop chips being in sufficient supply for quite a while.

It's not hating, most of my servers run Opterons due to their excellent ability to run VMWare due to memory bandwidth. However, if I am still forced to buy the old servers if I wanted to go AMD.
September 26, 2007 12:05:11 AM

dragonsprayer said:
i dare not try it as i might commit sucide while waiting for it too boot

hey you got pile on the dog pile while you can

new marketing using slowskys trying to make the system look faster!~

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/4rothrocks/zzz.jpg

dragonsprayer said:
wait the new amd altered states marketing campaign - giant shrooms with every pc - little tripping while waiting for it to boot

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/4rothrocks/SGE_ALW05_100707184715_photo00_quic.jpg

"amd worth tripping over"

dragonsprayer said:

done yet?
a c 135 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 26, 2007 12:06:30 AM

looks like they are just clearing out old stock....nothing new there...

Damn.....whats with all the fanboyism......
September 26, 2007 12:37:55 AM

I can see where the unlocked multiplier would be a nice selling point, provided the chip takes the clocks well.
September 26, 2007 12:38:24 AM

Quote:
And if it's truly cherry-picked at 65nm, it may hit 3.4GHz at a reasonable TDP.

....and it may only hit 2.8Ghz with 130 TDP
September 26, 2007 12:41:12 AM

zenmaster said:

Not even a coming soon.

I'm not saying "AMD Sucks", I'm simply stating they If I wanted to buy a server today from a Major Server vendor I could not buy one with the new AMD Opertons. Nor could I find an etailer that actually claims to have them in stock to buy it.

Directron is one of many sites which simply list products which are on somebodies price list. They don't maintain the stock themselves. Perhaps they have a secret supplier that will ship to them and no other server vendor or etailer can get them, but that seems like a stretch.

Sincer server chips tend to sell for more than desktop chips and they can't provide the sufficient server chips, I really can't see the desktop chips being in sufficient supply for quite a while.

It's not hating, most of my servers run Opterons due to their excellent ability to run VMWare due to memory bandwidth. However, if I am still forced to buy the old servers if I wanted to go AMD.

He's BM. That explains it all.
September 26, 2007 3:52:39 AM

Don't speak to your father like that
September 26, 2007 11:53:31 AM

I like AMD, but this IS nuts. Whos going to buy this? Some enthusiasts girlfriend? Usually in this market, you can get by selling older, slower or hyped up hardware. People buying Dell, HP etc would buy em up. But this is mostly aimed at the enthusiast arena, and falls short for many reasons. When it comes for AMD missing the mark on this one, all I can say is, phenominal
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2007 12:29:58 PM

I mean, if this Black Edition is the same price or a few bucks more as the standard 5000+ and you have a AMD setup, it might be worth it. The again, it's most likely going to be more expensive than the standard and won't be worth the cost. I have a feeling this Black 5000+ will cost the same as the 6000+. I just wish AMD will get its head out of its cache!
September 26, 2007 1:09:02 PM

i think i saw it going for $136.00
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2007 2:01:10 PM

$136 for it? $20 more than the standard 5000+, but only $34 cheaper than the 6000+.

Also, MrsBytch is right. AMD has changed sockets about as often as Intel has.
September 26, 2007 2:06:52 PM

Quote:
Ummm...AMD hasnt had anymore socket changes than Intel has...... :sarcastic: 

Actually, no.

Ever since 2000, AMD has been through 3 socket changes, and soon 4.
754 => 939 => AM2 => AM3

On Intel's side, there has only been one socket, and soon will be two
775 => 715
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2007 2:21:27 PM

The 90nm top end stuff like the 3.2 is clearly at a ceiling thermally and I am surprised AMD has opted to only push the 65nm process (remember they only did a 512 cache run under this process) as far as 2.6 ... albeit thermally it is a bit lower than the 90nm ... and call it a black edition. Why not further frequency ?? yieldss ... machine space needed for Barcelona??

With an unlocked multiplier ..
calling it the black edition ..
2.6ghz ..

This tells me they have no intention of extending the 65nm process with higher performing processors (in terms of frequency) and it probably means they will run out the current volume of stock and then tool up the facility for the Barcelona and Phenom cpus ... which makes sense.

My opinion is that the initial 65nm process shrink has not been particularly successfull - no frequency increase but some power savings I guess as a plus side.

Given the success of the core2 line the shift to 65nm for AMD might have yeilded a learning curve but no profit due to the poor performance against Intel for the line. the shrink just means a slightly lower cost of production in terms of silicon ... but who cares it the opposition produces a better product.

As others have mentionned above I am keen to see how well it overclocks though.

unlocked multiplier ... drool ...
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2007 2:30:59 PM

Um, yomamafor1, you forgot Socket 423 and Socket 478.

Since 2000, these are the main stream sockets used by both (I'm not including the Xeon and Operton sockets or Socket F in this list. All I'm including is what you will find on the retail shelves.):

AMD: Socket A, Socket 754, Socket 939, and Socket AM2
Intel: Socket 370, Socket 423, Socket 478, Socket 775.

September 26, 2007 2:34:22 PM

and also 754 and 939 were in the same time period. 939 was the preformance socket, while 754 was mainstream/low end. 939 had dual channel and 2000mhz HT while 754 was 1800mhz and single channel if im not mistaken.
September 26, 2007 2:36:49 PM

runswindows95 said:

Since 2000, these are the main stream sockets used by both (I'm not including the Xeon and Operton sockets or Socket F in this list. All I'm including is what you will find on the retail shelves.):

oops..

Thanks for the correction :sweat: 
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2007 2:37:55 PM

You are correct, bwdsmart. The socket 754 was used with the Semprons and lower end Athlons in budget systems.
September 26, 2007 2:52:25 PM

runswindows95 said:

And 4 chipsets. One for pentiums, one for C2D, ... (CPU with 800MHZ BUS, 1066, 1333, and 1600). And it is not upgradeble with BIOS. "BUT ONLY ONE SOCKET-my a$$"
September 26, 2007 3:18:24 PM

zenmaster said:

Not even a coming soon.

Dell isn't even advertising Tigerton so does that mean Intel can't make enough? How can you summarily say, "AMD is having a hard time making the chips?" AMD is the same as Intel as it took a GOOD COUPLE OF MONTHS FOR CORE 2 to be sold everywhere.

I remember the rush here last year with some people finding them and some not. Give it a rest. Whether Directron gets them from a Time Machine or aliens are shipping them they can send you some. That means availability. PERIOD.
September 26, 2007 3:27:04 PM

yomamafor1 said:
Actually, no.

Ever since 2000, AMD has been through 3 socket changes, and soon 4.
754 => 939 => AM2 => AM3

On Intel's side, there has only been one socket, and soon will be two
775 => 715

The difference is that AMD has had ONE chipset, while Intel has had about 10 which supported different chips. Even Nehalem won't work in the same mobo. Look at the evolution.

754 and 939 existed at the same time and were differentiated by the 'family'. AM2, AM2+ and AM3 can ALL USE THE SAME CPU and chipset with varying available features. AM3 will work in AM2+ socket, AM2+ will work in AM2 socket. And all can use RD790 chipset since the AM2+ chips already have support for DDR3.
September 26, 2007 3:29:20 PM

Reynod said:
The 90nm top end stuff like the 3.2 is clearly at a ceiling thermally and I am surprised AMD has opted to only push the 65nm process (remember they only did a 512 cache run under this process) as far as 2.6 ... albeit thermally it is a bit lower than the 90nm ... and call it a black edition. Why not further frequency ?? yieldss ... machine space needed for Barcelona??

With an unlocked multiplier ..
calling it the black edition ..
2.6ghz ..

This tells me they have no intention of extending the 65nm process with higher performing processors (in terms of frequency) and it probably means they will run out the current volume of stock and then tool up the facility for the Barcelona and Phenom cpus ... which makes sense.

My opinion is that the initial 65nm process shrink has not been particularly successfull - no frequency increase but some power savings I guess as a plus side.

Given the success of the core2 line the shift to 65nm for AMD might have yeilded a learning curve but no profit due to the poor performance against Intel for the line. the shrink just means a slightly lower cost of production in terms of silicon ... but who cares it the opposition produces a better product.

As others have mentionned above I am keen to see how well it overclocks though.

unlocked multiplier ... drool ...

The difference is that K8 was designed for 130nm. It's great that they got it to shrink 65nm. AMD always goes for power-savings first.
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2007 4:00:11 PM

Good points ... Intel socketed us to death a few years ago.

I'm still sobbing over 939 ... I'll get over it though.

a b à CPUs
September 26, 2007 4:34:25 PM

Baron has a point about chipsets. Intel does do alot of chipsets for each socket.
September 26, 2007 4:45:05 PM

BaronMatrix said:
The difference is that AMD has had ONE chipset, while Intel has had about 10 which supported different chips. Even Nehalem won't work in the same mobo. Look at the evolution.

754 and 939 existed at the same time and were differentiated by the 'family'. AM2, AM2+ and AM3 can ALL USE THE SAME CPU and chipset with varying available features. AM3 will work in AM2+ socket, AM2+ will work in AM2 socket. And all can use RD790 chipset since the AM2+ chips already have support for DDR3.

Good point. I suspect that's because Intel's in the chipset business too, so they will try to force consumers into buying new chipsets.

September 26, 2007 5:30:04 PM

You all should know by now that people like gimics and fancy names and it is all about image. How many of you buy Dasani water? That is just regular filitered water that coke sells with a fancy name and eveyone buys it because they don't know any better. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. The thing is a regular chip with an unlocked multiplier.......no more no less. It is a gimick that is all.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 26, 2007 5:39:21 PM

hey guys,
all this intel/amd stuff may be irrelevant. Amd is selling fx-62's 2.8Ghz with unlocked multipliers for 150 dollars. why get a 5000 black when you can oc an fx 62?

Because if your a mainstream guy, you don't know what the difference is.
It simply a marketing tool.
AMD seems to be trying to target mainstream users with the 5000 black who might be interested in some minor overclocking. oc and other modding is moving from the small enthusiast community to the mainstream market. So overall I think its a nice option for some folks to have available. Basically making up for the fact that they dropped the ball with locked multipliers in the first place...

Whereas intel decided to underclock their processors so overclockers can go nuts when they take their 2.0 Gig proc to 3.5.

Yes I must admit that the c2d simply has a better architecture.
September 26, 2007 5:55:31 PM

Personaly when your talking $30-$40 or whatever just buy the best one you can afford $40 bucks is nothing shi t i pay 50%-200% more for everything i buy from the US
for a good graphic card we pay $600-$800 so i dont give a dam about $40 to get a 6000+ you yanks complain to much about nothing
If you dont like the 5000 get the 6000
if you dont like amd buy intel
ati - nvid etc
life is to short to nit pick people, now lets go play quake wars see you there...unless your chicken :0

ps I LIKE YANKS :) 
September 26, 2007 6:17:57 PM

Wishful thinking dude.
October 3, 2007 1:22:26 PM

Stop giving **** to AMD, they are trying hard to take back their fans and supporters. That black edition chip is really a good deal for regular desktops and amatuer builders. Affordable and unlocked multiplier. AMD is tageting the low end users on this one since they are clamped down with the Core2Duo on the high end.
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2007 2:05:52 PM

The point about the FX62 is good too.

$150 for an unlocked mature 90nm 2MB cache chip ... I assume they will go to 3.3 as well.

$139 for an unlocked 65nm 1Mb cache chip ... goes to 3.3Ghz ... hopefully more ppl report this is the case too.

I'd tend to go for the FX myself ... If I wasn't screwed by the socket 939 problem.
!