Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2007 7:00:35 PM

Just put together a new computer with:
asus p5n32 sli mobo
corvair 800 ddr2 ram
evga 800 gts 320mb
q6600 quad core pentium
OCZ 1010 watt PSU

So the first powerup went into the bios ok, then the system powered itself off after 30 seconds. Kept doing the same thing, so tried jumping the power supply (worked fine) tried switching out ram (no help) then tried booting with the mobo out of the case (no help)..

I thought I solved things when I attached an extra power cord to the blocked atx12v input, the computer stopped turning itself off. Now, however, I don't get any video output from the video card, so I have no idea what's going on.

Do you folks think I have a blown mobo, a blown videocard (which could have been shorting out the mobo but now is dead completely so doesn't short things out but doesn't work either?)

All the connections are solid, the LED light on the mobo works fine, I haven't heard any alarms from the mobo..

More about : defective build q6600

September 20, 2007 7:10:03 PM

Do you have another pci-e card to test in your system with?
September 20, 2007 8:32:32 PM

mine is doing the same thing what exactly did u do to keep it on?
Related resources
September 21, 2007 5:57:02 PM

By "blocked atx12v input" I presume you mean the (4/8 way) Motherboard power connector which has some of it's sockets blanked-off with a small piece of plastic (probably black)?
If so you need to read the Motherboard manual, the power connector you should be using (4 or 8 pin) will depend on the processor you have (single/dual/quad core); no idea what will happen if you use the wrong connector, other than invalidating the warranty that is!
September 21, 2007 6:31:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Do you folks think I have a blown mobo, a blown videocard (which could have been shorting out the mobo but now is dead completely so doesn't short things out but doesn't work either?)

HUH? :pt1cable:  I dont know if thats a question or not. Doesnt make any sense. What is shorting out? What is dead completely? By now Im thinking your mobo is probably shorting on the case. Did you smell anything funny?

From what your saying I can only conclude that you have no idea what your parts are, you have no idea what your doing and you probably should take the whole system to someone who knows how to put it together. Otherwise your going to destroy your parts or burn your house down.

HEH!!!
!