Boot program instead of Operating system in bootloader?

chrom3titan

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hey! I have a self-extracting partition image I created with Image for Windows, and I put it in a recovery partition I made. Now here's the dilemma I've been facing for quite a while now.. I want to make it an option in my boot.ini or even a 3rd party bootloader like GRUB or GAG to boot the image file which I named "Image.TBI"

So basically what I want is that OS selection option, but instead of saying "Windows XP Professional" and under it "Windows 7 Ultimate *or whatever OS* I want select the self extracting image file so I can restore my computer. I'm trying to copy the Acronis recovery capsule basically.

For a better understanding here is what I have done.

1. Made partition, placed self-extracting image on the partition

2. Now I want to edit boot.ini to make it an option to boot the file "Image.TBI" instead of an operating system,

it must be possible because im tying to boot a file instead of a whole OS, thanks a lot in advance guys!!!

chrom3titan

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
well I don't want to have to stick a CD in to boot, I want to use a bootmanager to select the bootable file in the partition ive created so when selected in the bootloade menu it runs and activates the file

Here is my current boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

now I here is what I'm tying to do, something like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\backup.TBI

See how I'm trying to boot the file "backup.TBI" from the 2nd partition which is my recovery partition? How can I do that? Instead of booting a whole operating system

TRENDING THREADS