Samsung 226BW from newegg -What version S, A, or C?

computerinfo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Samsung 226BW from newegg -What version S, A, or C?

I have read all the articles out there about the bait and switch from Samsung regarding this monitor. Is there any way I will know which monitor I will get if I buy it from newegg or anywhere else.

Will I get the S, A, or C version??

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I'm in the same boat as you. I know atleast a few months back it was a complete gamble on Newegg. I have checked my local Fry's and Best Buy. They had no clue about the S/A/C fiasco. I checked their display models. Best Buy had C's, Fry's had A's (the blue bias on the A's was obvious and horrible).

Recent Newegg reviews indicate they are not putting the letters on the sticker anymore, probably due to the bad press they were getting. There was also a secret menu on the displays that told you what version you got, but they apparently have removed them as well. I imagine the current stock at Fry's/Best Buy/Circuit City are the same way (not gonna buy one to find out).

So, anyway I was looking at this LG monitor as a replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005097

The picture looked amazing at the store. Same specs. It is flat black rather that the glossy finish on the Samsungs (okay by me, I hate fingerprints). $350 is a bit pricey, but Best Buy actually has a great deal. It's only $280:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8357379&type=product&id=1177112467150

Now, one thing I noticed about the LG monitor is that there are three models:

L226WTQ-BF
L226WTY-BF
L226WTX-BF

Newegg has the Y model, Best Buy has the Q model. In general Q costs less than Y which costs less than X. Does that mean there is a quality difference? I can't find any information on that. No reviews or anything. They all have the same specs. LG's website doesn't seem to acknowledge the model difference.

Personally, looking at the Q model at Best Buy, it looks great.

computerinfo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
The LG's look nice, but $80 more than the Samsung ???? I just can not justify it. I really just wanf the 226BW version S. Where do I find one?

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020+50001583+4018+1309822582&name=BenQ+Inc.

I would consider these, if you are on a lower budget.

You can no longer easily identify an "S" panel Samsung 226BW. The sticker on the back of these monitors no longer state "S", "A", or "C". Even the secret screen in the OSD menu which used to identify the panel is no longer there. You jumped on the 226BW bandwagon about 4 months too late.

The only way to identify a "S" panel now is to take the monitor apart and look at the sticker on the panel itself. Of course, doing so will void your warranty.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

We as I stated, you can get the LG from Best Buy for $280. That's without a mail in rebate. And if you get it there you don't have to pay any shipping.

computerinfo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I just spoke to Samsung Customer Support and they were very familiar with the situation. He mentioned that they are no longer making the A and C version. Hopefully, when the A and C version get pushed through the distribution channels, that will only leave the S version available.

He was not able to tell me where to go to get an S version. I at a loss now. I still don;y know what to do.....

Supposedly that was reported about 3 months ago. If it is really true then they must have a lot of "A" and "C" left in stocks. Besides, how is the average consumer gonna know anyway since such information is not easily obtained from the monitor itself without taking it apart.

computerinfo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Right now I have 2 19" CRT's. I love having one monitor to watch TV and the other to use for the internet.

If I get a Samsung 226BW, I will still need another monitor. What should I get to go along side the new 226BW. I was thinking that a 19" 4:3 Samsung LCD would be okay.

I really just like having 2 separate monitors. It allows me to open programs full screen in their own predefined space.

randomizer

Champion
Well by the time I jump on the LCD bandwagon, LCDs will be like CRTs today, unavailable. So I guess if its true that they are only making S panels now, I should get one on ebay without worrying about A or C panels :)