Sign in with
Your question

Batch files in Win XP Pro

Last response: in Windows XP
March 8, 2010 3:05:56 AM

Hello,

I am trying to write a batch file that would make a specific program a default over Windows Picture and Fax viewer.

Reading on other forums, I've input the following into Notepad:

ftype jpegfile="C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero PhotoSnap\PhotoSnap.exe" "%1"

When I right-click on any .jpg file after that, under properties, I see that Nero PhotoSnap is now the default program, but when I open the file it opens in Windows Picture and Fax viewer still.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to add registry changes to complete this process?

More about : batch files win pro

March 8, 2010 3:08:54 AM

Just to add, I am saving the Notepad file as a .bat file, and it does execute. I have added code to open up Internet Explorer to the Google website just to make sure.
m
l
March 8, 2010 4:28:36 AM

Can't you just right-click, select "Open With", select PhotoSnap from that menu, check the default box, and then have at it?
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 7:58:03 AM

When I log in as administrator, it does work. But when I log in as a lower-level user, the changes don't stick.
m
l
March 8, 2010 4:39:48 PM

I'm not that fluent with multiple user accounts in XP, but shouldn't you be able to apply changes across all user accounts somehow?
m
l
March 9, 2010 4:26:52 AM

If there is a way, then I'm not sure how to do it. I apply program defaults as an administrator for the following file types: .jpe, .jpeg, and .jpg. When I log back in as a user, only the .jpe and .jpeg file associations stick. For some reason, .jpg only wants to open Microsoft Office Picture Manager. The program I want to default to is Microsoft Photo Editor, based on the user's preferences.

As a workaround, since Photo Editor does open when I double-click .jpeg files, does anyone know how I can set .jpg files to always open as .jpeg files, without manually renaming all photos?
m
l
!