Sign in with
Your question

Benchmarking standards - voltage and Prime95

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 21, 2007 12:32:12 PM

Hello hello. I've got a question regarding the many specifications I see people offering when comparing their overclocking settings.

First off, when people generally refer to the voltage they are set at, are they referring to the BIOS-set voltage, or are they referring to the actual running voltage after vdroop in OS? If in the OS, are they referring to the idle or load voltage?

Second, when people are discussing stability testing in Prime95, is it generally held that the benchmark for torture testing is being run in multiple instances, i.e., x4 instances for quad core, x2 for dual core? If multiple instances are run, then what range of tests are being used? x1 blend, and x3 small FFT, x4 small FFT, x4 blend, etc.

Finally, as an off question for those with the Thermalright 120 Extreme, does it (the radiator surface) ever get hot? Running severe overclocks with bumped voltages, mine doesn't ever get remotely hot to the touch - not even the pipes at the cooler base. This is while temps measured between my cores are 60+. Just curious, because my northbridge sink and even RAM seen hotter to the touch.

I wanted to know the above to better compare my readings with that I find on the board.

Merry Christmas all!

More about : benchmarking standards voltage prime95

December 21, 2007 2:21:30 PM

Voltage set in BIOS.

I don't use prime much, prefer orthos (they do the same test, imo), usually i run same test on each instances. But surely some people mix it.
!