Help! Slow SATA performance?

jeffsteinberg2

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Am I getting the performance benefits of my SATA drives? CD rips are very slow (7-12x, vs 16-25x on other computers in the house). I did not install any special SATA or RAID drivers before I installed WinXP.

Integrated Peripherals BIOS settings for SATA are:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode: Disabled
SATA PORT0-3 Native Mode: Enabled

If I'm only getting IDE performance from my SATA drives, what do I have to do to get SATA performance? (When I enable SATA RAID/AHCI Mode in the BIOS, Windows won't load.

Thanks, Jeff Steinberg

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
Processor: Intel q6600
Ram: 2 gb A-Data ddr2-800
Video: BFG GEFORCE 7900 GS OC
HD 1: Western Digital Raptor 150
HD 2: Samsung HD501LJ
DVD/CD 1: TSSTcorp (Samsung) CD?DVDW SH-S183L
DVD/CD 2: TSSTcorp (Samsung) CD?DVDW SH-S203B
PSU: Antec TP3 650
Case: Powerspec (Coolermaster) ATX

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
whether drives are on sata or pata isnt going to matter as far as performance goes, yet. no single sata hdd is even capable of exceeding 100MB/s, putting them well below sata150 specs, and even below pata100 specs, which has been out for years... sata is being used as a way of futureproofing essentially (aside from the added benefits, narrower cabling, hot swappable, lower power consumption via sata as opposed to 4 pin molex)

someone may have an answer to your cd ripping dilemma though.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
My understanding that to get the more modern performance enhancing function running you need to turn on AHCI function.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I think if you enable it you will have to do a fresh install of Windows. To be sure google it there's stack of info available. Hope that helps. :)

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

You have the exact problem I had five months ago. Don't worry I know of a way to get your AHCI drivers installed even after your OS install. If you have the JMicron controller then use it as a back door. (1) Configure bios for AHCI, then power down. (2) Put your SATA cable into the JMicron controller and boot off that, install your RAID/AHCI drivers. Then do the reverse, with some HDD it doesn't matter if your using IDE or AHCI mode. For me I have never seen a difference yet between the two.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The CD ripping problems that you are having has nothing to do with your SATA running as IDE. Don't waste your time trying to setup AHCI. As Turboflame said get HDTach or HDTune, which I like better, and test your HDD. I'm assuming that your actually concerned about your CD drive on SATA and these programs won't test that. A good thing to check for is that your CD drives are set for DMA and not PIO. If these are indeed rips and not just copies you might check in task manager to see what your CPU usage is. It will also be very high if you are set to PIO even while copying, because the processor has to oversee the I/O.

markbom

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Found this on Experts Exchange. I had a similar problem, this fixed it. After the reboot your drive is scanned by Checkdsk, don't worry about this and let the scan finish (dont cancel it).

From the performance and CPU utilization numbers you posted, this is almost certainly a simple case of the drive being accessed via PIO instead of DMA.

Do the following:

Run REGEDIT. (Start - Run - Regedit)

Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

For each of the subkeys 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, etc. delete (if present) the MasterIdDataChecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum values.

Reboot.

That will most likely fix your issue. If not, go into Device Manager and expand the IDE/ATAPI controllers. For each channel (Primary & Secondary -- there may be more than one of each) -- do a right-click, Properties, and look on the Advanced tab. Be sure the selected transfer mode is "DMA if available". If all is working correctly, they should all be set to this -- and the "Current Transfer Mode" should be UDMA-x (x is a number that depends on whether or not you're looking at an optical drive or a hard drive).

If you made any changes in Device Manager above, repeat the RegEdit modification and reboot.

G

markbom,

Thanks for beating my dead horse back to life - your suggestion to delete those registry keys freed my hard drive from PIO mode (~13MB/s sequential read&write). Now I'm seeing 66.82MB/s read & 42MB/s Write.

Thanks for responding to that post from back in October! (now almost a year ago)

:D

cyberscribe_50

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
It was nice of markbom to post his solution here, even though it came some time after the question was asked.

The info he provided not only helped the person who originally posted the thread, but it helped me, too (on 01/19/09 no less) - and it's probably helped a lot of others out here as well, I suspect.

I'm always grateful for all thoseincorrigible dead horse beaters out there. :)

G

I've just found this post after fixing a similar problem (I had searched unsuccessfully for answers to this a few months back).

My symptoms were similar: but Device Manager was displaying two Primary and two Secondary IDE controllers. Following up on comments in a discussion of this issue (which is apparently normal for some motherboards) I found the victim complaining that one of them appeared to be stuck in PIO mode. The recommendation made was to uninstall all the IDE controllers, starting with the 'stuck' one, then simply reboot and let Windows reinstall the drivers automatically. So I did, and now my SATA drive is working perfectly!

MonteHansen

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
I had a similar problem with ICH10R. None of the solutions provided helped me but I was able to resolve it.

My Symptom:
Fair burst speeds, but then slowed to a c-r-a-w-l after ~ 250MB :pfff: . Windows wouldn't recognize the array when bios set to RAID, but would when set to AHCI. I had to create the array within the bios, with bios set to RAID, and then switch it back to AHCI for Windows to recognize it. The Intel Matrix Storage Console 8.5 & 8.8 didn't recognize the array, but would recognize the individual volumes.

My Observation:
The Gigabyte CD provided an incomplete and incorrect driver package for Win2K3 (32). The intel inf update included infs for ICH9 and below, and no recognizable drivers for either RAID or AHCI (just drivers for the secondary on-board JRaid). Turned out, I was operating under a stock windows AHCI driver.

My Resolution:
After I downloaded and installed the correct driver set, all was well again: Look for motherboard_driver_sataraid_intel_bootdisk_32, or url here as of this writing: http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=559073

In my case, I uninstalled the device from Device Manager, and then installed the drivers. Rebooted, switched to RAID mode, and booted into Windows. The Intel Raid Manager immediately did what it should, and my disk speeds were at a place where I could begin performance tests. I suppose it would probably have worked if I left it AHCI, not sure, but in my case the hot swap seemed to work just fine anyway. Write speeds with write cache enabled avg 52MB/s, with read avg of 160 MB/s and 330 MB/s bursts.

Monte

Mobo: GIGAbyte mobo EP45C-UD3R
CPU: Intel E8400
Disks: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB
Stripe: RAID5 64K 4+1spare
RAM: Mushkin 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Case: iStarUSA D-406-B6SA-Silver Steel 4U Rackmount
Cooler: Rosewill Z (RCX-X775-EX)

MikhailCompo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
i would never recommend using the drivers supplied with a motherboard, always use the latest ones from the manufacturer's website.

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Markbom you are the bomb! The advice in your post (the regedit part) totally restored my sata drive speeds back to normal. Thanks a bunch for your supposedly out-of-date post.

G

I wanted to let everyone know of a way to fix the sata dvd drive slow install problem.
Reboot your desktop and enter the bios. Usually the delete key at the first screen.
Check advanced settings, if not there look for this setting name in each bios window as it can cause a problem.
Look for IDE HDD Block Mode, disable it and reboot.
Believe it or not, this is causing some machines to try and read blocks off of an install disk like it is a hard drive disk.
As soon as I did that my lg started working like a champ.

zardiw

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah....there's this thing called Google, and when people have a problem they use it and run across posts like this one......and they really don't give a flying rat's ass how old it is.......don't even look at the date even........they just want a solution......like I just got and OH GEEEEE.......it's 2010.........It's a travesty posting to a thread that's this OLD.............lol...............z

I just built a killer W2K system and some of my Raptors are dropping into PIO mode...it's weird... 2 out of 3 do this......I got a 75 and a 150 on the Primary IDE, and the 75 drops to PIO while the 150 stays Ultra DMA.

On the Secondary IDE, I got an identical 150 to the one in the Primary that drops to PIO, and my 1T on the Secondary drops to PIO also.

Luckily I've got an Acronis Image I took when they were all in DMA, so I reload that when it happens.......but I'm trying to figure out why it happens.......I'll try that reg fix when it does it again.

It MAY have been due to some SATA cable bending...(straightened them) ..will see.........Also ordering some shorter cables from OKGear......they're shielded to boot.......Screw cheap cables.......especially when you got data screaming down them like we do nowadays............z

zardiw

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
And let noone kid you. There are evil nasty mf's out there who like nothing better than flaming somebody by sticking their pea brain opinions where they're not wanted.

The kind of people that if you ask a question like making Win 7 look like 98 or something go 'oh why would you do that...Win 7 is awesome'.......Or 'why in the world are you still running W2K....etc etc.

If you have no solution to the question asked, STFU............z

sqwishy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
On the contrary, after reading choirbass say "no single sata hdd is even capable of exceeding 100MB/s" I did look at the date and seriously conciser going somewhere else. Regardless, I still think a flying rats ass would have been much more impressive than anything mentioned in this thread, so in one sense you are correct.

G

This one worked for me, now in June 2010. Many thanks man, your advice was incredible. I just checked before my settings, it was DMA but current transfer PIO mode. I deleted the key entries as you said and now current mode is ULTRA DMA 5. I didnt test the burn yet by I already know is fine. Thx.

vip007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

very......very.......thanks.
suddenly on my pc sata dma goes off and system becomes very slow.using this method i am able to turn it ON and pc runs normal.