Heatsink for AMD Black 6400+

frolicols

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Hi guys, noob in need of some help here. I've ordered an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black edition, but obviously it doesn't come with a heatsink. Is there a particular one someone can recommend to me?

I'm going for an Asus M2N32 Deluxe Wifi Mobo in an Antec P182 Case. I've been told the Scythe Ninja won't fit because of the stock heatsink on the motherboard.

Help! :pt1cable:

Monsoon Lite??

Might cope well enough with the heat and allow a bit of overclock ??

Anand and Toms both have cooler reviews over the last few months - search on the front page.

hope this helps - it isn't cheap though it has a reasonable TEC.

sailer

Splendid
The Monsoon is good, but expensive. I'd check out a Tuniq Tower; less money and very good cooling. Again, it will support overclocking well, probably more than the AM2 6400+ is capable of. Truth is, a Zalman 9700 would be good as well. Its more expensive than a Tuniq Tower, but will fit a lot easier and is cheaper than a Monsoon.

What he means is that chip is more or less the last in the 90nm process for the A64 and runs right below the thermal boundary ... so a quality cooler is a really good idea if you want it to last.

If you don't plan to game much the stock cooler is ok ... do you plan to work it hard?

I have a couple of 6000+'s and the stock cooler is ok - they don't run much hotter. Yours is a bit faster again (200mhz).

sailer

Splendid
I looked it up at Cooler Master and they provided a review from Dragonsteelmods. It showed only about a 1 degree drop in temps better than a stock AMD cooler, so in my opinion, that's not good enough for the money.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
The Tuniq is pretty good but it's freaking huge. As Hatman said, I wonder if the AC Pro 64 wouldn't be sufficient. It's not in the same league as the Tuniq but it's a pretty decent HS.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
As the not so proud owner of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, I'd recommend the tuniq tower.

I had one as well, it's not too bad. I'd rate it a few notches above stock cooler (Intel or AMD) which is ok for the price but obviously it's not a top contender. In the end, I went for the Thermalright Ultima 90 with a Panaflo Fan. It's suits my OC better than the AC.