64fanatic

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Well I'm about to start building my computer, first time messing with the CPU. I know the rest of the computer except this area so I'm doing alot of reading. Anyhow, I have one last question till I'm ready to go:

I'm buying the Q6600 as my processor, and I assume it already has everything needed attached and is a simple pop in and go thing. However, later on when I get enough money to do it (I'm totally broke on my computer budget right now lol) I want to get a better cooler, perhaps the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX17339(ME).aspx

My question is: When I remove the stock cooler and replace it with this one will I need to re-apply thermal grease or do anything? I'm a little confused and can't really find an answer about it.

Probably a simple answer that I just haven't found yet :p

And yes, I am planning on overclocking a bit, so I guess another question is how much can I easily achieve with stock vs this one or another cooler you recommend.

I've helped build my friends comps no problem, but they've always had the CPU pre-installed at the store, and well I have to get mine shipped since the stuff I wanted was out of stock.

I'm buying the Q6600 as my processor, and I assume it already has everything needed attached and is a simple pop in and go thing.

Your MB chipset and BIOS rev. must support the Q6600, you didn't mention which Mb you have. If you buy the 'retail' version as opposed to the 'OEM' version of Q6600 it comes with a stock Intel socket 775 HSF.

However, later on when I get enough money to do it (I'm totally broke on my computer budget right now lol) I want to get a better cooler, perhaps the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme:

Not familiar with that particular installation, but many of the more effective coolers require removal of the MB in order to mount the HSF. Yoiu may save the hassle of removing your MB later by installing an aftermarket fan right from the start of your build.

My question is: When I remove the stock cooler and replace it with this one will I need to re-apply thermal grease or do anything?

Yes you will have to remove all the old thermal paste and reapply all new thermal paste. Isoprophyl alcohol applied to a soft cloth works well to remove old paste. Like I mentioned, you may have to remove the MB to install an aftermarket HSF then reinstall the MB after upgrading to the aftermarket HSF.

And yes, I am planning on overclocking a bit, so I guess another question is how much can I easily achieve with stock vs this one or another cooler you recommend.

The stock Intel HSF is kind of bogus to install, but if installed properly cools sufficiently if you don't overclock to extreme speeds. A slight overclock is fine. Personally I install the Zalman 9500/9700's from the get go on any system I may want to overclock overclock or leave running for extended periods of time. HTH.

TSB

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I disagree with the removing the hole motherboard thing. Manytimes the size of the larger HSF makes it more difficult to get to the screws that hold the mobo down. The Zalman 9500 is a piece of cake to install in the case, at least on an amd based board. Id buy the hardware you really want in your case to start with. Its no fun to have to pull everything apart just to replace a fan that works fine. I speak from experiance. TSB

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
the TR U120E has had several batches with flatness problems. some people RMA, some people lap them.

it's so easy for TR to make sure the problem stays in-house - all they have to do is make a fixture and fly-cut the base by .010 inches after final assembly.

i'd get the Noctua NH-U12 or maybe the Scythe. whatever is good at Frostytech.com (the TR 120 & 120E have good thermal performance, when they are flat).