Sign in with
Your question

Crysis DX9 vs DX10 screenshots

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2007 12:16:42 PM

Those waves do look much better in DX10.

I look forward to experiancing these new effects in 2 years time when I can get Vista and a DX10 card.

I have vowed never to buy a video card over £100, as thats to much money for a slight increase in FPS for just a video, no matter how much I enjoy them. So I'm looking out for good clearence deals on older cards on etailer sites.
October 10, 2007 12:37:34 PM

I hardly believe it, must see with own eyes!
Related resources
October 10, 2007 12:45:04 PM

I have to say there is a significant improvement, the letdown is they do not have any AA!!! Jaggies on the DX10 ones!!
October 10, 2007 12:52:27 PM

For £100 you are going to be limited to DX9 for now.
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 10, 2007 1:13:14 PM

I realise that motion blur needs to be moving to see the affect but it dosent do anything for me and the other pics wont make me pay out for a new OS and graphics card.
XP and DX9 for me for the forseable future especially if you allow for the loss of fps in Vista,hey you never know this may not be an issue with crysis,but i wouldnt bet on it.
Mactronix
October 10, 2007 1:13:31 PM

...and for much later, cause 100 quid will get you mid-lower cards which are really not worth it
October 10, 2007 1:19:11 PM

damn it! mished a post.
Indeed, the graphics in crysis DX10 do look amazing but AA is desperatly needed to make a good impression
October 10, 2007 1:23:19 PM

Pic look good, can't say I'm a fan of motion blur.
James
October 10, 2007 1:33:02 PM

I can't believe that there's that large of a difference.
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2007 1:51:50 PM

Heyyou27 said:
I can't believe that there's that large of a difference.

Yeah, seriously, I'm with ya.
October 10, 2007 1:53:26 PM

Yea it's nice, but I don't want to run Vista to get it!!!!!!!

My XP Pro works well for me.
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 10, 2007 2:33:38 PM

While its obvious that the realism is greater in DX10 and the image quality is better than DX9 i personally prefer the High DX9 image as far as game playing is concerned,it may just be me but the image was clearer ie things stuck out more.I guess the fact that the boat and the guards are not that easy to see straight off is all part of the DX10 realism but i would find it easier to play in DX9.
Just my personal taste though
Mactronix
October 10, 2007 2:39:23 PM

The two biggest things that struck me about the DX 10 was the lighting and reflection.
October 10, 2007 3:15:56 PM

looks great. I can't wait to see some official benchmarks of the final release. I hope my new 8800GTS can handle it under DX10!
October 10, 2007 3:27:00 PM

Dx10 version is the clear winner, with more dense vegetation, polygonal waves instead of plain waves, the lighting is better overall, and the pictures morton has shared with us shows DX10 ground displacement makes it look absolutely beatuiful.

Will I buy a Dx10 card and do a Vista upgrade for this? No. Until a 180-200usd gfx card runs Crysis like a dream, I will not.
October 10, 2007 3:49:13 PM

well, i've already gone and ordered a 2900 pro, and I'm on vista already, it was interesting to note that the dx10 waves actually looked 3d, not just bump mapping type 3d
October 10, 2007 4:54:43 PM

I hope to see more of these DX9 vs DX10 screenshots. For good or bad.
October 10, 2007 5:07:11 PM

This is why microsoft just needs to make dx10 on Xp. They can make it possible.
October 10, 2007 5:20:46 PM

boredatcanon said:
This is why microsoft just needs to make dx10 on Xp. They can make it possible.

they wouldn't, or how do they plan to sell vista??
October 10, 2007 5:39:14 PM

accu said:
they wouldn't, or how do they plan to sell vista??

:sleep:  So what % of people buying Vista are gamers and worried about the dx10 advantage?? Come on buddy! Very little in reality.
Probably less than 5 %.. The other 95 % will buy as it is and as soon as "the average joe" is using it, :sarcastic:  and will automatically update when the new dog comes out of the shed. - there are many market force reasons for this. It also explains how come Microsoft have been so damn indolent with dx10 :fou:  . Hopefully, given now that on a global level, gaming is starting to be taken more seriously this will change.. Just my pennies worth.
Tungston Nads.
October 10, 2007 5:42:06 PM

DX10 looks awesome, im not sure wether to use this vista disk sitting next to me....
October 10, 2007 6:33:14 PM

You know u want to.. succumb or suck cucumber
October 10, 2007 7:24:16 PM

Besides the water there wasn't that much difference and. i'm not gonna get vista just for the reflections. Maybe in a year there will be a bigger difference. oops just saw the very high vs high gonna gottta get vista now and dual boot.
October 10, 2007 7:27:47 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
Besides the water there wasn't that much difference and. i'm not gonna get vista just for the reflections. Maybe in a year there will be a bigger difference. oops just saw the very high vs high gonna gottta get vista now and dual boot.

Haha

are those rocks 3d? Or is it just an illusion :) 
October 10, 2007 7:55:40 PM

Ironnads said:
:sleep:  So what % of people buying Vista are gamers and worried about the dx10 advantage?? Come on buddy! Very little in reality.
Probably less than 5 %.. The other 95 % will buy as it is and as soon as "the average joe" is using it, :sarcastic:  and will automatically update when the new dog comes out of the shed. - there are many market force reasons for this. It also explains how come Microsoft have been so damn indolent with dx10 :fou:  . Hopefully, given now that on a global level, gaming is starting to be taken more seriously this will change.. Just my pennies worth.
Tungston Nads.

Actually the change will probably grow greatly when SP1 w/Directx10.1 comes out. As more games come out for Directx10 games, there more likely ppl will goto Vista. Have to accept directx10=vista only.
October 10, 2007 8:41:41 PM

No the next OS is due in 09 I believe.
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2007 9:34:25 PM

I'd like to see a medium setting DX10 version, where they swap out inefficiencies and add the most efficient DX10 features that add visuals to the DX9 path, but don't slow it down much. It's a bit dissapointing seeing the break just at the highest level because it doesn't speak to Crytek trying to optimize the DX10 path, just to make it tougher than the DX9 path, which would be nice for the mid-range DX10 cards and these new upper mid-range ones coming.

Edit: Test
October 10, 2007 10:12:05 PM

Would the motion blur look like a LCD monitor with like 25ms response time? That would suck if it is...
October 10, 2007 10:32:12 PM

Heh.

DX10 Emulator: Oldschool LCD
October 10, 2007 10:36:23 PM

wow there is a big difference between DX9 and DX10. DX10 almost look real
a c 169 U Graphics card
October 11, 2007 7:26:36 AM

it is really the first game that u can see the differenec between DX10 and DX9
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2007 8:17:57 AM

Not that amazing IMO, I can easily stick with DX9, as long as the physics are the same (or close). Water in DX10 looks nice, but I don't look at games, I play them (well, I mostly look at the beta, coz playing is not really an option). And the motion blur is hideous in both, just another thing to drag down the framerate.
October 11, 2007 10:36:18 AM

computertech82 said:
Actually the change will probably grow greatly when SP1 w/Directx10.1 comes out. As more games come out for Directx10 games, there more likely ppl will goto Vista. Have to accept directx10=vista only.
Two things I disagree with. 1) There are no DX10.1 cards out atm. There are rumors of the 8800GT being 10.1, but we'll have to wait and see on that. 2) There IS a project to port DX10 to XP, so no, people don't have to accept that you will only be able to get DX10 on Vista.
October 11, 2007 11:53:05 AM

DeathWalking said:
Two things I disagree with. 1) There are no DX10.1 cards out atm. There are rumors of the 8800GT being 10.1, but we'll have to wait and see on that. 2) There IS a project to port DX10 to XP, so no, people don't have to accept that you will only be able to get DX10 on Vista.

Just cause there is a project on getting dx10 to XP doesnt mean it will happen for sure....or that it will be 100% stable. For all you know, the number of issues it might have may be reason enough for some to make the jump to vista
October 11, 2007 12:40:33 PM

I am going to have to take the plunge.... :sob: :sob:

Those (possibly) liars at falling leaf studios must get their crap together, or were they only doing dx9 games?
October 11, 2007 1:11:13 PM

The project about DX10 being ported to XP is very real - and, actually, almost easy: merely use a wrapper to run DX10 over OpenGL 2.1...
Source: the Wine website, improvements planned for libwine.
Please note that when this project is done, a DX10-able upgrade for XP will be GNU/Linux+Wine or MacOS X+Wine.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2007 2:02:41 AM

You gotta pay for the DX10 libraries though AFAIK, and they are for individual games last time I looked. Maybe things have changed. I have a feeling that if it works, M$ will put their foot on it.
October 12, 2007 3:17:20 AM

Will I be buying Crysis? YOU BET! Will I be upgrading to Vista for DX10 features? HELL NO! The subtle differences between DX9 and DX10 aren't worth having to turn over my PC to Vista and putting up with that garbage. No, thank you very much...
October 12, 2007 4:03:07 PM

hesido said:
Dx10 version is the clear winner, with more dense vegetation, polygonal waves instead of plain waves, the lighting is better overall, and the pictures morton has shared with us shows DX10 ground displacement makes it look absolutely beatuiful.

Will I buy a Dx10 card and do a Vista upgrade for this? No. Until a 180-200usd gfx card runs Crysis like a dream, I will not.

Man ya oughtta cancel that order and get the new 2950 !!!!! Hit the wrong reply button was meant for the guy ordering the 2900 .
October 15, 2007 1:03:41 PM

And what if the 2950 gets delayed? Think about how long the 2900 was delayed, and we still have no phenom.
October 15, 2007 2:16:38 PM

I don't understand all the Vista hate... I've been running it since the betas with no real issues to speak of. My only real headache I've had in terms of instability came when one of my RAM DIMMs finally crapped out. That's been it, for the most part... especially recently, now that the Vista video card drivers are maturing and allow me to play all of my XP games with little, if any, performance penalty.

Not to mention, if you have an 8800 like I do, getting Vista to use DX10 is a no-brainer. Plain and simple... if you have the hardware, why not use it?
October 15, 2007 3:02:15 PM

killer_roach said:
I don't understand all the Vista hate... I've been running it since the betas with no real issues to speak of. My only real headache I've had in terms of instability came when one of my RAM DIMMs finally crapped out. That's been it, for the most part... especially recently, now that the Vista video card drivers are maturing and allow me to play all of my XP games with little, if any, performance penalty.

Not to mention, if you have an 8800 like I do, getting Vista to use DX10 is a no-brainer. Plain and simple... if you have the hardware, why not use it?

Also crytek said that crysis will run better on high settings on vista than high settings on XP
October 15, 2007 3:53:27 PM

On those pics with waves you can see how the vegetation is a lot denser in DX10 (check the horizon). So it's not a direct comparison of the same game settings under different DX paths...
Give us a demo already!
October 23, 2007 9:44:01 PM

Crysis has been canceled due to lack of interest. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are the only think people want to play.

Crytek will be coming out with a drumming game that is supposed to be fantastic.
October 23, 2007 9:47:57 PM

CompTIA_Rep said:
Crysis has been canceled due to lack of interest. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are the only think people want to play.

Crytek will be coming out with a drumming game that is supposed to be fantastic.

Bearer of bad news, You must die.... IF that happens I riot :D 

I wonder if I can install the CryEngine 2 on my eyes/brain for better graphics and physics...
October 23, 2007 9:59:25 PM

No because your brain has a very poor video card that gets worse as you age.

Plus, it is still eisa (yuck). Better to offload the render to a silicone based system and supply the image to your eyes.
!