Good news for 8800GTS/GTX users about Crysis

Here is a Q&A with NVIDIA :
http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=512

Not all users will have the same experience, because GeForce 6 cards aren’t as fast as GeForce 7 GPUs; and only GeForce 8 cards support DirectX 10 graphics features. So if you play Crysis on a three year old PC with a GeForce 6800, you will have to make compromises in resolution or visual quality. Gamers with GeForce 8800 cards in SLI will enjoy fast frame rates in high resolution with all of the options maxed—the way it was meant to be played!

5) What are the key benefits of having NVIDIA graphics technology over competitor offerings?

RT: Here are the four key benefits:

#1 Performance: NVIDIA makes the world’s best graphics processors. If you want to play Crysis, you’ll want to make sure you get a great GPU for Vista and DX 10 games. PC Perspective just tested the latest cards and concluded that the GeForce 8800 GTX and GTS are the best options for playing DX 10 games with Vista:

“The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX is our pick for anyone looking to play the likes of Bioshock, Company of Heroes, Call of Juarez, Lost Planet or World in Conflict in DX10 modes. The power of the G80 GPU and the time NVIDIA’s driver development team has put into Vista are evident in our benchmark and gaming experience results. “The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB makes a great second option though for users with a slightly smaller budget. This card still does very well under Vista with the DX10 games and keeping another $15

Miguel Sainz and Yury Uralsky: It has been a hell of a ride! Working with Crytek on this title has been a completely new experience for us. Just consider the singularity of this clash between a whole new OS (Vista), a great new GPU architecture (GeForce 8800), a completely new API (DX 10) and a game engine that pushes the technology like no others have done before. The level of commitment between the two companies is really extraordinary.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
you know that this is a q&a with NVIDIA don't you? if it had been one with amd, they would have mentioned a review which said the 2900's were the best

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Technically they are not lying either, they are sweetening the truth if you will, but it's obvious to anyone with half a brain they were bring pretty harsh to Ati there, smooth andl harsh.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Is the Nv 8800 and HD 2900 really DX10 - at least able to do what DX10 should ?
I just hope all problems are just driver related.
Sounds like a stupid question, but it's hard to know for sure now.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of conversation similar to this just before Oblivion came out.

It's marketing fluff. What do you think a Vice President of Content Relations is? I'm sure ATI has there own moniker for their guy as well.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Damn.

Recommended - X2 4400+, I have 4200+

GTS 640, I have GTS 320.
Oh well. I guess I'll just buy it a year from now when it's in a jewel box at target for $9.99. ;p

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I think most of the issues that involved either ATI or Nvidia DX10 cards has alot to do with Vista. Vista alone uses about 2-3 times as much system memory as XP and has alot of crap running in the back-ground that we just don't need. Point being is that I think MS should step it up and make Vista good instead of trying to make Vista marketable.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Haha yeah who wanna play a slideshow, i still question the devs strategy in this.
How many own less then a GTX and then if they use vista...
Are they gonna sell the game for $1k to make up for all those that won't (can't) play it?

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
It's odd how software works to become a profit. It's actually ALOT more profit and alot less cost than the $50 they charge for and it's even less than the $10 a year after. Devolopers don't even need to have high end systems, they only need 1 high end system other than that, the only thing that they pay are wages, and utilities.

Don't get me wrong here developing software does have a high price but once it's made there is little to no cost involved, so it's nearly 100% profit.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Maybe this is the future, devs are making games for fewer and fewer kinds of systems as console game devs do.
They will probably still make money and avoid alot of time and money consuming code.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Doh!
Need a GTX right now, but on the upside if i start saving now maybe something better will be out before x-mas? =)
No new (faster) cards where to be realeased before Q1-Q2, right?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

No one can truely know except Nvidia and they are tight lipped about their releases. Yah just gotta guess, hay filp a coin.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I am all set for Crysis... built my new computer for it and I gotta say the difference between my new 8800 GTX and my old 6600GT is night and day.

BF2142 runs like butter.

HL2 ran much smoother even with more options turned on/maxed out and even at higher resolutions.

Team Fortress 2 is gorgeous at 1680 x 1050.

I played a little Portal last night... fun game.

Crysis should be jaw dropping.