Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best graphivs card for world of warcraft for 305w psu?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 10, 2007 8:06:57 PM

hey all,

what's best graphics cards i could get (PCI-E) for World of Warcraft and Lord of Rings online? Psu = Dell 305watt, 18amp (on 12v rail)

7900gt?
7900gs?
8600gt?

nvdia cards?

i was asking this type of stuff over summer but i can't dig out the threads now despite an hour of searching :( 

cheers
October 10, 2007 8:33:49 PM

Here's a list of your old posts. I found them through your info: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post_cat_list=|33*tomshardwareus|&orderSearch=0&recherches=1&resSearch=200&jour=0&mois=0&annee=0&titre=3&search=&pseud=Mikey787878&daterange=2&searchtype=1&searchall=1

The 7900GS is a better overall card than the 8600GT and still gets my vote. The 8600GTS is almost as good as the 7900GS, requires less power, but costs more so it's not worth it. If you can still find a 7900GT, that might be the way to go, but again only if the price is right.
October 10, 2007 8:44:37 PM

Any of those cards would work.
WoW does not take much graphics power.

For a Power Reference -
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/21/energy-efficient...

You may even want to consider a 7600GS.
That uses very little power.

I don't know your system but let's say

100w for the CPU (Could be more/less)
30w for the motherboard.
20w for Misc Case Fans
20w for RAM
15w for the HDD
15w for the CDROM
------------------
200w for your system.

If you GPU uses 65w, then you are at 265w.
This is about 86% utilization.
Over time the power your PSU can deliver declines. so while I likely over estimated slightly on your system, your 305w PSU may still not be full power.

Related resources
October 10, 2007 8:55:29 PM

Thankyou!

having just re-read them though i realise at the time i'd read the label on my psu wrong. Disasterously i thought it read 12v = 22amp but actually that's on the 5v rail :(  The 12v rail is max 18amp

So 305w, 18amp Dell

hard to find specs for 7900gs but ones i have found suggest it to be min 350w, 20amp

how crucial is it that my system underscores? Will my comp explode? Will performance issues negate benefits of the card? Or will it likely be okay?

And if not - what's the next best bet after the 7900gs then?

October 10, 2007 9:00:22 PM

You can try a cheapy psu like I did, $35-$40
October 10, 2007 9:01:08 PM

i heard they don't fit well in Dell's?
October 10, 2007 9:04:39 PM

I think your PSU is really on the borderline of being usable, especially considering its age. You probably would be best off upgrading it so you won't be wondering and having to ask questions like this.

No, your computer won't explode if the PSU is underpowered. It will either not turn on at all, or more likely will power up but then crash during a game. Even if it doesn't crash, it may slow down considerably, negating any benefit from an upgraded video card.
October 10, 2007 9:12:36 PM

and, if you're REALLY lucky, it'll take your motherboard with it when it dies
edit: WOOT 1000'th post (tho I'm not sure if thats something to be proud of or not)
October 10, 2007 9:15:06 PM

actually re-reading psu label it says:
+12a = 18amps

but then further down it says:
"max combined output on +12a and +12b is 22amps"

so wihich number do i need to go on the 18amp ir the 22amp?

cos if it's 22 i'll risk a 7900gs n hope dell underates its wattage esp as i don't have much else plugged into the comp. (it's got 80gb internal hd that came with it, 19" flatscreen monitor, keyboard, usb mouse n the graphics card 3gig ddr2 ram)

8600gts?
8600gt?
7600gt?

opinions?
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2007 9:16:40 PM

Mikey787878 said:
Thankyou!

having just re-read them though i realise at the time i'd read the label on my psu wrong. Disasterously i thought it read 12v = 22amp but actually that's on the 5v rail :(  The 12v rail is max 18amp

So 305w, 18amp Dell





Dual 18 amp +12v rails with a max output of up to 22 amps. Cards like the 7900 and 7950 have both been used with it.
The psu is a standard ATX and can be replaced with most other standard units, unless your box has a closed back design, then you'll want the PCP&C Silencer that has been mentioned in your other threads.


I see you got it.
October 10, 2007 9:21:54 PM

Mikey787878 said:
actually re-reading psu label it says:
+12a = 18amps

but then further down it says:
"max combined output on +12a and +12b is 22amps"

so wihich number do i need to go on the 18amp ir the 22amp?

cos if it's 22 i'll risk a 7900gs n hope dell underates its wattage esp as i don't have much else plugged into the comp. (it's got 80gb internal hd that came with it, 19" flatscreen monitor, keyboard, usb mouse n the graphics card 3gig ddr2 ram)

8600gts?
8600gt?
7600gt?

opinions?


Go by the combined, so in your case, go with the 22amps. I still say the 7900GS. It's average FPS in the charts is higher than both the 8600's and only costs ~$100, which cheaper than either one as well.
October 10, 2007 9:47:12 PM

150W Max on the 5V and 3.3V doesn't leave much for a combined 22A on the 12V. Sounds weird.

I wouldn't go further than a 7600GT. A 7600GS should run either game well depending on the resolution.
October 10, 2007 9:57:37 PM



Seems like this has been a much discussed subject by someone who doesn't want to change his PSU. The 7900GS might work, but I think it would be a bit on the edge. Only way to know for sure is if he goes ahead and buys it and tries it. Of course, then we might get another round of posts about why a computer crashes after a video card upgrade.
October 10, 2007 10:05:23 PM

I had the same 305w psu in my Dell (before I upgraded waiting for the 8800GT I hope)
Look at the link in my signature.
Anyway, I was running the following with the 305w @ 22amp:
4 sticks DDR2 ram
Anthlon64x2 5000
hard drive
2 optical drives
8600GT XXX
X-fi sound card

7950GT or 8600GTS is the psu's limit
My system has been running for a year with no issues
October 11, 2007 12:01:45 AM

sailer said:
Seems like this has been a much discussed subject by someone who doesn't want to change his PSU. The 7900GS might work, but I think it would be a bit on the edge. Only way to know for sure is if he goes ahead and buys it and tries it. Of course, then we might get another round of posts about why a computer crashes after a video card upgrade.


Yeah, Dell has a tendency to under rate their units though. Other people like kpo have said that they have run more on their units than should be possible. DellUser1 knows that the 7950 has been run on the units. Would I do that personally? Probably not since I know that my Dell can take a new unit. He doesn't necessarily have to change the unit to get what he wants out of his system.
October 11, 2007 12:32:37 AM

If I would have seen this fast enough I could have sold you my old setup. Brand new 430W Cooler Master and x1600xt. I gave those two things and 4gb of ddr2 667 Kingston and old P5LD2 Deluxe and
Pentium D 805 for $100
October 11, 2007 4:56:19 AM

lostandwandering said:
Yeah, Dell has a tendency to under rate their units though. Other people like kpo have said that they have run more on their units than should be possible. DellUser1 knows that the 7950 has been run on the units. Would I do that personally? Probably not since I know that my Dell can take a new unit. He doesn't necessarily have to change the unit to get what he wants out of his system.

I would imply that you are saying I don't know?
"Other people like kpo have said that they have run more on their units than should be possible. DellUser1 knows that the 7950 has been run on the units."
Just my observation from reading thousands of DCF posts. Only my opinion, not worth much I suppose.
October 11, 2007 5:18:19 AM

kpo6969 said:
I would imply that you are saying I don't know?
"Other people like kpo have said that they have run more on their units than should be possible. DellUser1 knows that the 7950 has been run on the units."
Just my observation from reading thousands of DCF posts. Only my opinion, not worth much I suppose.


Woah, never meant to imply that at all dude. I was saying that what you were running (your experience) was proof that Dell under-rates the units and people can run more off of them then shoudl be possible. No where in that post did I say you didn't know what the PSU could handle. I'm sorry that you took it that way, but that's not what I meant at all.

Darn, why did my 1300th post have to be an apology? lol
October 11, 2007 5:52:37 AM

Hey no problem. I sometimes get into minor dis-agreements about the 305w having 22amps. Look at the link in my signature, that's the psu. That was from a post reply I got earlier.
I did put a new psu in in anticipation of the G92 (I hope)
Sorry about your 1300th post.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2007 6:12:04 AM

1 of my computers is exactly

Nvidia 7900gs
AMD 5200 x2 (65watt)
2x HD's
DVD burner
and other stuff in pci slots firewire, scisi controller

i measure my wattage at idle its about ~110W full load ~180W+ to max 210W with CPU and GPU at 100%
and thats on 400W power supply cheap 1 that came with case.

WOW plays on 7900gs all settings maxed 60fps constant, Lord of the rings High ~50fps Very high ~40 and Ultra high ~30- depending on where u at and what u do. I play on very high with shadows set low, and AA 2x i get nice smooth ~30-40fps (i would lower other setting just to keep AA 2x or 4x it make game look good) and thats 1680x1050
October 11, 2007 9:32:34 PM

thanks all for the info - have decided to go safe and get 7600gt - it'll do for a year or so and to be honest after a year it sounds like it's time to start over with a whole new set up

7900gs prob would have worked i guess but after much weighing up decided not to take the chance

cheers all
October 11, 2007 9:41:59 PM

hd2600xt would of been a better choice.
October 11, 2007 10:54:39 PM

Why?
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2007 11:24:47 PM

Some Dells have a proprietary PSU (and therefore motherboard) with the main power connector wired differently from the standard ATX PSU. How can you tell what you have?
October 11, 2007 11:56:27 PM

hd2600Xt would have been a pretty poor choice.
It is more power hungry than the 8600GS as well as the 7900GS.
!