Sign in with
Your question

Trouble Posting, any ideas?

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2007 4:17:08 AM

Hey guys,

Had a bit of a problem with my computer today and couldnt figure out the problem. I got home and the comp was off, I hit the power button and nothing. The fans turned on and that was it. The comp did not POST and the HDD led light was flickering. So I opened it up, checked any cables, all seemed ok. I recently installed a thermaltake ultima-90 a few days ago, no problems till now. Heatsink seemed seated ok. Tried turning it on again, nothing, no post just fans spinning. So, on a hunch I turned off the power strip, where everything is plugged into, then turned it back on. Hit the power button and my system posted, and is running normal again.

My question is why would the power strip being turned off and then on have anything to do with posting?? Power Supply going bad? Maybe something with the heatsink?? Only reason I ask is it can be moved slightly from left to right. Normal? Thanks again in advance!

e6400-stock
Thermalright Ultima 90
Gigabyte p965-ds3 rev 2
Geil 2x1gb 667 mhz
Evga 8800 GTS 320mb

More about : trouble posting ideas

September 22, 2007 5:15:34 AM

"Trouble Posting, any ideas?"
I read ur post just fine. No probs there
:p 

I had a similar issue with my P5B-D (which i decided to ignore and buy a new cpu, which obviously didnt fix the prob, thats another story tho)

Anyway, after an unsuccesful oc attempt id get the same thing. Sys powers on but nothing happened.
The solution i figured out was to:
Power on, then turn off @ psu/wall.
Wait ~30sec
Hold power button on and turn on psu/wall.

Bingo springs to life.
Dunno why this happens, but it runs 100% otherwise.

If it persists under normal conditions id suggest something is fuct.
September 22, 2007 7:08:16 AM

Sounds like the system had a fatal errors and turned itself off... Id check the windows event logs and such see if anything popped in htere.

As for why its working now.. after the assumable error.. the memory needed to cleared out.. IE completally disconnected from power.. just shutting down the system and turning it back on will not disconnect all the power.. so my guess is that turning the strip off than back on cleared the system.
!