yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I am building a new machine, but I still have my old computer I am using right now.

I've got an ASUS P5S800-VM in there with a Celeron D 2.33Ghz processor. Don't laugh it was all I could afford at the time. Anyway, that processor is garbage. I regret buying a Celeron.

Are either of these two Pentium's good for overclocking a little and if so what one should I get?

Model 570 - Prescott Core - 3.80GHz - 200FSB (800 quad pumped) - 1MB L2 - HyperThreading - SSE3
Model 670 - "Prescott-2048" - 3.80GHz - 200FSB - 2MB L2 - NX Protection* - HyperThreading - SSE3

I would rather go with the 570 because I can find them just over $200, but the 670 I see is over $600. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the 570? I am sure it'll be a big difference from the Celeron D I have now.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You shouldn't go with either, because you can buy a new motherboard and a Core 2 processor for under $200. It would get you more performance if you bought a something like the AsRock 4Core-DualVSTA and a Core2Duo E4400 or Pentium Dual-Core E2180(also Core2 based, just 1MB L2 Cache) both of these will easily surpass either P4 at stock speeds, and by more when overclocking.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Better off getting a Pentium D if you can still find them and a good air cooler IF you don't want to replace the mobo. Far as overclocking, need to get something like a Zalman 9700 just to do any. It was called "Preshot" for a reason.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
From what I could see on the motherboard specs(not from ASUS site, because that won't load for me) at some store sites, it only supports P4(HT) and Celeron. P4s are very outdated at this point, and it really isn't worth investing in a dead platform when you can get a better new performing motherboard and CPU for cheaper.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I believe you mean to have a Celeron D 2.53 GHz, as that was the slowest Celeron D made for LGA 775, nevermind the fact that there is no such thing as a Celeron D 2.33GHz.

I recommend you overclock your Celeron D 2.53 GHz to the 800fsb, giving you a 3.8GHz Celeron D. That should hold you over until it comes time to upgrade to a better motherboard.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Thank you for proving my point Turbo Flame. 2.53GHz was the slowest LGA 775 Celeron D, and there was no 2.33Ghz model ever.

Thanks once again for the support.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
2zeh5oi.jpg

sorry man

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I'll try and be nice to you and not rip you a new one for being ignorant, but I know what I'm talking about. Here's a task for you, go and try to find any information at all about an LGA 775 Celeron D launched with clock speeds below 2.53GHz. You won't find anything. That's because they don't exist. All Celeron Ds below 2.53Ghz are socket 478. LGA 775 Celeron Ds start at 2.53GHz, or, model # 325/326 if you prefer.

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Yes, sorry it's 2.53Ghz. Now, I don't know how to get it to overclock much.

I have a Thermaltake Blue Orb II installed. In the ASUS bios they have settings for overclocking under the jumperfree configuration menu. I can go 5%, 10%, 20%, and I think 30%, but can't adjust any voltages. Just monitor them.

I can go 5 or 10% and boot just fine. 10% is 2.66Ghz I believe. At stock speed I run about 25 degrees C at idle. At 10% it goes up to 27% at idle. Not bad.

But when I goto 20% which is 2.79Ghz the machine won't boot. I have to power off the computer and back on so it says overclock failure press F1 to enter setup. I am thinking because it needs a little more power to VCORE somehow which I don't know how to do?

I was going to go download the mobo manual, but Asus's site is very slow. It's been slow most of the day. That's my only gripe with Asus. Their website gets so much traffic. Anyway, am still trying to download the manual as we speak.

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I did manage to view a version of the manual online and found this:

Ratio CMOS Setting
[ 14] Sets the ratio between the CPU core clock and the FSB frequency.

Should I be touching that?

So far all I did was use the AI autoclock tuner, which is the thing I mentioned before with 5%, 10%, etc.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Sounds like you're using the auto overclock feature. Can you manually set the FSB speed to 200 Mhz (800fsb quadpumped)? I can't gaurantee that it'll run stable at 3.8 GHz on stock voltage, but with a small voltage bump to it should be possible.

As for your question about the Ratio CMOS setting, that's the CPU multiplier setting. It will be locked on the Celeron D, meaning you won't be able to change it from the stock 19x setting.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

yeah, my bad, I thought i might have seen one before so i checked intel's website which was somewhat misleading. :whistle:

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Yes I am using auto overclock feature. I can't find out how to make it so I do it manually and adjust the voltage a little. Maybe there's a jumper but I can't seem to find what I need int he manual which I am viewing here:

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5S800-VM/e2419_p5s800-vm.pdf

I can set the DRAM Frequency. Is that FSB? I can set to 200Mhz, 266Mhz, 300Mhz or 400Mhz. Can also set PCI/AGP frequency.

I am not expecting to get 3.8Ghz out of this, but heck 3.4 or even 3.2 would be nice.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

No problem man. We're all here to learn and help others.

I found out how to can manually overclock your board. Follow these steps:

1. Set the AI Overclock Tuner to MANUAL
2. Set the CPU Frequency to 200
3. Set the CPU Vcore offset +0.1 to ENABLED.
4. Save, exit, and reboot.

See if that gets you to 3.8Ghz

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I will look tonight. I have almost the latest BIOS, one before the latest, so I decided to do an update and it failed. So, now I had to wait to goto work today and download it on CD so it can restore. I am not so sure it can be set to manual, but I'll check.

I think the only options are Standard, Overclock 5%, Overclock 10%, Overclock 20%, Overclock 30%.

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Wonder if there is any hacked BIOS's out there.. I am pretty sure I don't have a MANUAL setting, but will check later.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Well, I pulled that information straight out of the manual for your motherboard. As I said in my last post, you will have to go to the ADVANCED MENU, then look under the JumperFree Configuration menu to find these options. You won't find them in the CPU Configuration menu.

Once you enter the JumperFree Config menu, set the AIOverclock Tuner to MANUAL. Now the CPU Frequency value should pop up. Set the CPU frequency to 200, then ENABLE the Vcore offset +0.1. That should get you to 3.8GHz. If you want to play it safe first, you could set the CPU Frequency to 166, which will give you 3.16GHz. You should have no problems at all running at that speed, so it should be a safe first target to try. TBH though, I think you stand a good chance to be able to hit 3.8GHz reliably.

Good luck.

Joe

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I just looked and there's definitely no MANUAL in the AI Overclock. :(

The BIOS won't flash properly. I went to put the latest on last night, 1023 and it didn't work.. when it boot up last night it kept searching floppy or CD for BIOS which I didn't have. So today I downloaded 1023 at work onto CD and 1021 on another CD. Booted up and it let me in bios! Didn't say BIOS wasn't bad or anything. The only way I can boot up to Windows right now is if I select F8 at startup and select my hard drive, otherwise it says Error Loading OS.

So, I get into Windows and figure oh well I'll flash back to 1021 BIOS.. no luck. The ASUS update program says to do that I have to use the DOS version. GRR!

Why do they make this crap so hard? You mean to tell me since 198X theres still the same old technology here? What happened to those motherboards I used to see with two bios's? If one was corrupt it would load the second one. The second one you couldn't flash. It was just there for safety.

Well, I'm off to try and find a boot CD because I have no floppy drive. Maybe I can flash back to 1021 atleast or try 1023 from DOS.

...................... and as for someone above who said post what I have to spend -- don't really wanna do that. It's not about what I have to spend. I am building a quad-core system for myself, which I was talking awhile ago on here about. I was just hoping to pump this old system up rather than throw it out. That's all. :) I didn't want to have to buy another motherboard because honestly I didn't want to put all that work into this system. I would have been happy just changing the CPU in this one or getting overclock to work better.

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
OMG! I just found something out. You were technically right about there being MANUAL in the BIOS under AI OVERCLOCK, but also wrong.

There's two freakin versions of this mobo. How do I know this? Here:

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5S800-VM/e2419_p5s800-vm.pdf
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5S800-VM/e1767_p5s800-vm.pdf

.. this I did not know at the time of purchase. If I read on my motherboard it says E24189 which leads me to believe I have the first one up there. :( :( If you do a search for "ai overclock" it'll bring you to section 2.4 and in my manual there is no setting for MANUAL. In the other one there is a setting. Atleast that's what it shows in the manual.

I tell you this, besides thanks for all the help, I will do more research next time. I only bought this one because I had money burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to get my system built so I could use it... so I oought it locally. I did research, but apparently not enough. Next time I'm making exactly sure which model I am buying.

yuppi

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Why is it so hard to find/make a boot CD? I just tried two of them with no luck.

All I want to do is boot into DOS and run my bios update. I don't need some "Ultimate Boot CD" that comes with 8 gazillion things. Any suggestions on what to do?

I just tried two different CD's and I am down to ONE blank CD left. :(