New build for gaming - suggestions appreciated :)

Karsiyaka

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some feedback on the following system.

1. Use of PC:

Gaming and multimedia. MMORPGs such as Dark age of camelot, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online

2. Budget:

My budget is flexible depending on the quality and price/performance of the build. I would be satisfied if I stay around $1,500.

3. Current parts:

I probably will not be able to use anything major. My current system is VERY outdated. athlon xp 2200+ a7n8x 1 gig ram x700 pro. I am planning to use my Plextor dual layer dvd, and hmmm nothing else I guess

I did my homework and searched most of the similar threads. I came up with the list below and put the corresponding prices.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 - $195

Initially, I made an extensive research on Athlon 64 X2 6000+ vs E6600. I found out that E6750 is cheaper than E6600 (?? no more production??) and decided to go this way. Still open to suggestions though.

Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L - $100

I have really no idea about this one. It looks like this board has good performance/price ratio. I would appreciate suggestions on this.

Graphics Card: 8800 GTS 320MB - $267

I think this card is pretty good for resolutions at or below 1600x... Is it worth paying the difference for GTS 640? or GTX?

Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - $62

I tried to chose low priced and high ranked 2 gig kit from newegg.

Harddisk: WD Raptor 150 gig 10k rpm 16mb cahce Serial ATA 150 - $170

I've always wanted one of these babies hehe. I have ample amount of storage (external) so performance is the main concern here. I'm also planning to buy a second raptor in couple months and make a raptor raid 0.

PSU: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS - $75

I've always used the power supplies that came with the cases. I might need to change that now :p I found this psu in one of the posted similar builds. I realise the new gfx cards require VERY good PSUs to perform well.

Case: No idea on this one.

I think I would like a nice case for this computer. I previously used the cheap stuff that was free after rebates :p Is it possible to get a case that has a good PSU? Maybe I could save couple bucks here.

Monitor: I'm planning to retire my Samsung Syncmaster 955DF as it became very blurry. Any good gaming monitors you guys could suggest? I made a quick research and came up with this: SAMSUNG 940BX Black 19" 5ms DVI LCD $239 Maybe something bigger?

Finally, what else do I need? A good cooling unit? thermal paste? Missing anything else?

I would greatly appreciate any input on these topics.

Thanks!!!!

Madrox

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
CPU is good, don't use stock cooler. a Zalman may be too big for that board.
I have never used Gig. motherboards but seems to do a good job from reviews.
As far as graphics you may want to invest in something better than a 320MB GTS, also that motherboard doesn't have SLI so you cant throw 2 on those when prices drop in a month or 2, if your upgrading your system i would recommend the 640MB version at a minimum or a GTX. They may cost more but they are worth it. the higher end cards will also be outdated slower than the 320MB.
I love my patriot memory so good choice on that.
I also love my Raptor's another good one.
Dunno about OCZ but you may want at least a 700w for future improvements.
As far as case, post your budget and what your looking for in it.
That monitor is kinda high on response time for my taste. i would reccomend the following, its more money (has rebates) but has higher performance. my friend has 6 of them... YES 6 and he loves em not a dead pixel or problem with any of them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

akhilles

Splendid
You should've gotten a 2500+ barton & o/c that mofo to the max. I loved mine. Same board as well. Modded bios.

e6750 is the best bang for the buck for a c2d stock setup. If you overclock, you can get a slower cpu & o/c it. Provided you have a good cpu cooler. Freezer 7 Pro would be a good start.

The intel stock cooler comes with some TIM on the bottom. An aftermarket one comes with a tube of thermal paste. Don't need to get more unless you o/c. Arctic Silver 5 would be the minimum.

If you o/c, get this ram instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

You can't find another case with the same features & price. Has holes for watercooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

The 8800GTS320 can handle 1280x1024. Why would you prefer standard definition? Widescreen may be hard to get used to, but the extra real estate is good for multimedia players (winamp on the side), address bar on the left, toolbox on the left in photoshop, etc. Especially movie playback. Mine is 941BW. newegg it.

If you plan to upgrade the monitor in a year or so, you'd be best off with an 8800GTS640 at least, as mentioned above.

Can't believe the psu is so cheap. The ocz 600w can power even an 8800 ultra - which needs 500w & 35a. The psu has 600w & 48a combined. I have the 700w in my family rig. Yep, overkill. But I bought it from a friend. It's been perfect. He got an 850w. We never had any power-related issues.