Hardware Fingerprint code

lbenn

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Does anyone know how to find the hardware fingerprint code on a computer? Software companies are able to find it and I find in very intrusive that they can invade a persons PC. And can you change it?

A hardware fingerprint or GUID(for the most part the same) is nothing more then taking info from multiple parts of your computer(id numbers, hd's internal serial number, hardware id from you sound card, your ethernets hardware mac address ect) and combining it in such a way as to identify the machine.

Can you change it? Yes, but it involves changing your hardware(in some cases your OS as well). Since companies using hardware fingerprints and GUID's do not tell what what they get there info from its kind of hard to know what to change.

There is no threat to you or your computer from its hardware ID(in most cases its just used for copy protection). and most software is smart enough to know that a machine is still the same if you change 1 or 2 parts(Ie. cpu and video card or hard drive and video card).

More info on what hardware fingerprint you are worried about will let us give you more info.

g13man

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
so 2 komps built with identical components will have the same ID? should I dump all my old stuff??[3.2+,2,2200+,2600+ and up grade to 1 XP with E2180's for 4 systems. will ms be able to tell? I thought processors had some ID # ?

Your reply seems hard to understand...will do my best

Identical systems will not have the same key as most pieces of hardware have a unique ID. CPU's do and so do network cards and hard drives....video cards i think are the same.

MS will be able to tell. you can only run windows on one machine at a time. If you windows is OEM (came with a computer or got it OEM from a computer store, plain case) it is locked for the most part to your hardware. If you have the retail copy (staples, futureshop , best buy, radio shack ect either way it has a bit fancy box) you can activate it on a new machine as long as you take it off the old one(legally at least)

What do all your old computers have for an os? XP
do you want to use your old XP on a new machine? or new XP on the old one?

If you are building a new computer you should be able to get an OEM copy of windows XP MCE(media center edition, its the same as pro with the media capabilities added) for 120-140 or so from the store you get the parts from.

So in short when you active windows it will send MS the hardware info in question....and if you reactivate often or the id is changed you will have to call ms(the activation windows will tell you to call)

Bottom line...you need a copy of windows for each computer(legally). I am not getting into the conversation of software piracy....if its working now...use it...if not call ms if its genuine. they will help you....if its cracked....well you kind of on your own....

lbenn

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
That is exactly to what I am referring to. What right does a software company have the legal right to take information off my personal computer? I purchased the software. It is mine. And no license is going to get in the way. If MS and all other software companies are concerned about piracy they should reduce the cost of thier software. It is rediculous to have to pay two hundred dollars or more for an operating system. Keep pricing the home user out of the mainstream and piracy will continue unabated. It is a game like a labyrinth. And most companies tech support is abysmal at best. So it is illegal to put a program on more than one machine unless you buy more licenses which only last a year. It is okay though for a software company to invade your private property. Sorry I am with the crackers.

lbenn

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Posted on 10-17-2007 at 06:20:35 AM

That is exactly to what I am referring to. What right does a software company have the legal right to take information off my personal computer? I purchased the software. It is mine. And no license is going to get in the way. If MS and all other software companies are concerned about piracy they should reduce the cost of thier software. It is rediculous to have to pay two hundred dollars or more for an operating system. Keep pricing the home user out of the mainstream and piracy will continue unabated. It is a game like a labyrinth. And most companies tech support is abysmal at best. So it is illegal to put a program on more than one machine unless you buy more licenses which only last a year. It is okay though for a software company to invade your private property. Sorry I am with the crackers.

There is no difference with that vs. the fact that TV works the same way. you pay per set. you can get around it, but with digital its a new game....

As for once a year. thats only for software updates. most non updating software is not like this(even windows with its updates is a one time thing. buy it...get updates for free..).

There is also a free alternative to everything.

MS Office - Open Office
Photoshop - The gimp(not quite as good but free)
3ds max, maya ect - Blender(not dead on but close)
There are lots of others...

You can even use Linux as an alternative to windows.

Now to see if from the developers point of view. They spend 2+ years designing a piece of software. Now its time to recover the development, pr and testing costs(and make a living). On top of this there may be software updates that will need to be developed for new OS's and other reasons

So thats where that comes in.

Also when you install windows the terms of use clearly state you are granted a copy of the software to install on one computer.

I see nothing wrong with Microsoft's current practice for XP.

Now for privacy try games, thats where you get to loose(or potentially) some privacy at times. Lookup starforce and securom(in bioshock is almost a damn rootkit and it even limits your number of game installs) if you want to see things gone wrong. Unfortunately they sneak this stuff in the end user license agreement and stick you with it.

Either way you are entitled to your opinion and many will share it as well.

Enjoy the forums.