darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
So, I killed my 8800GTX with a water cooling leak, ah well.

Figured as I had an x38 board, and I'm trying to drive a 2560x1600 30" display, the best possible option (no SLi support) was x2900XT crossfire.

I have had the first card working about a week, but it just wasn't enough for decent settings at this resolution, so I just added a second. Windows detected and installed it fine, I then went to the Catalyst Control Center to enable crossfire, and it caused a BSOD (ATIKMDAG.SYS).

Reboot, and the BSOD happens again...

Boot to safe mode, uninstall one card in device manager, uninstall drivers, reboot.

Reinstall Catalyst 7.9 x64 drivers, reboot.

No crossfire option showing in Catalyst control center :/

The windows display properties thing seems to think I have two independant displays..

Any ideas?

System Specs:
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
6GB ram
x2900XT *2
Vista Ultimate x64

Currently wishing I had stuck to nVidia...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
SLI/Crossfire as far as im aware still isnt supported under vista 64 bit.. really has nothing to do with the brand of video you have its has more to do with both companys are slacking hardcore in making thier drivers support 64bit os's.

Could also be a vista issue but since i installed vista ultimate 64 bit i have noticed every issue i have had so far is software just not being updated to be complaint ( come to think of it the only issue i have even had is vent not working 100% right but thats just a annoying it locks my push to talk sometimes, And a couple programs not being compatable like wsftp).. though i dont use xfire and i do have that same 30".. I knew going in 2 video cards wouldnt be a option. when they add support (which shouldnt be far off) your BSOD will be resolved, Im surprised it even gives you a option since i thought it was licked in the drivers to not even be able to select it at all.

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
.........I am running 2 2900 xt's in CF on windows vista ultimate with ati's latest drivers they do support 64 bit and it works perfectly but about your issue no clue @_@.

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well Xfire does run on vista ultimate 64 (and has since launch, there has never been a vista driver since launch that didn't support xfire) (i have 2x 1950 xtx's) - Have you tried the new 7.10 drivers from ATi - they give some realy nice 2900xt crossfire boosts and may help resolve your problem.

I had a problem with my crossfire option missing after installing a new driver for my crads, turns out i had a corrupt download that still installed and re-downloading a new copy of it and re-installing again fixed the problem.

**edit i just read you have the xfire option but you still BSOD**

I still think it could be a bad install - on a side note do you have an x-fi sound card installed? if you do you may want to install the drivers available on creative's site now dated 9th october - their ones released 1st october caused my graphics drivers to go completely mad.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

Oooh, I have an X-Fi Fatality Platinum, will try this

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
you could have corrupted drivers or a mix match of drivers on your computer, or another possibility is that your PSU just isn't giving enough power for the two thirsty cards.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

PC Power and cooling 1kW PSU - this isn't the issue :p

I might try installing windoze x86 on a spare hdd and seeing if this fixes it.

This install of Vista *has* previously run an 8800GTX, so I suppose that driver remains are a possibility.

Creative drivers didn't help, neither did removing the X-Fi completely :(

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Ok, well now with both cards connected, even with no CF bridges and a monitor connected to each, it BSODs on boot.

With 1 HD2900XT, it boots but the drivers don't run properly (Code 43)

Both HD2900XTs are now used as book ends while I am using an 8800GTS for now. It just works.

This is the last time I EVER use an ATi card.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No problems with CF working for me. Many games don't support CF, but Cat 7.10 has added support for some - big improvement.

You do NEED to have BOTH (two of them) CF bridges installed regardless of the mode you elect to use. Also, in the BIOS you need to have the Master set to 16x and secondary set to 4X. Do NOT overclock the PCI bus - lock it at 100.

I have the PC Power and Cooling 1KW PSU also and had to get some 8 pin to 6 pin converters and plug 4, yes 4 PCI-E lines into the card -- make sure you're using the PCI-E lines from the PC Power Cooling PSU (they're labelled).

Hope this helps.

With Half Life 2 and the Cat 7.10 drivers, I'm actually beginning to warm up to these two 2900XT 1GB cards. Still waiting to see what nVidia come out with next.