Please HELP! Memory problems

ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I am trying to switch out my friends motherboard from his DELL into a NXT Apollo. I have been very careful and have done this dozens of times before. Everything is in its place... When the memory is in the computer it will turn on for about 1/2 a second and then will turn OFF. When it is out of the computer it will beep 4-5 times but without the RAM the monitor will not turn on.

tried single stick and different slots?

Same memory that came out of the Dell? Was the Dell working? Ram slots dusty perhaps, doubt it after so many attempts.

Have you tried using the PSU that was in the Dell?

ghepetto

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
All of the components are exactly the same... The only thing that is different is the case. The psu is the same, the RAM is the same, the hard drive is the same, etc. Like I said it turns on without the RAM but once that RAM goes in there BOOM it shuts off. And with the RAM out the monitor doesnt work either. I have tried other memory sticks too

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

I think the ram problem is a red herring, and not the real issue. Are ALL connections the same, includimg graphics and CPU? Which model is it?

I trust you have tried starting this outside of the new case?

Do you have another motherboard from the same model Dell you could check the components in?

It sounds like either PSU or MOBO. I'd try replacing both starting with a PSU since it's much simpler to check. Maybe in removing the parts from the old Dell case something got busted or fried by static discharge.

Thats's all I can think of.

Forgetting a connection of some sort might also cause this but since you've done this many times before I doubt it.