2900GT Released----Pointless

pauldh

Illustrious
Gecube already announced their HD2900GT and Sapphires has been pictured on their site. I welcome the card if priced right. It will be cheaper than the HD2900 pro and is a way to get rid of of R600 cores that don't hit XT speeds. If priced right, it will finally offer a decent card between the 8800GTS 320MB and the 8600GTS or the HD2900 pro and the HD2600XT until the 2950's and 8800GT's come out.

It's not pointless, the 2900GT is aimed at the now lame mid-range segment. At 600 clock and 1600 memory speeds and 256MB of GDDR3, the 2900GT is faster than my current EVGA 7900GT OC and the 2900GT is DX10 capable. If priced right it will fill the mid-range segment nicely and would make a nice upgrade for anyone with last gen gpu's.

mahoumatic

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
It's cheap (at least in my region, ~USD 255 for 256MB model) and it overclocks well
(so well that it can outperform original clock 2900 Pro), just want to know in what way
it is a pointless card...

pidesd

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
people think it s pointless because they think amd puts lots of efforts and have high expectations...

amd just want to get rid of their "old" stock.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yeah, don't really see how this is pointless..? Looks like it'll be a great option for the mid range. Seeing too many threads with titles that project a bias before you even click on it; I don't think it's right to do that in titles since you never know who might be browsing the threads and notice a comment in the title like "pointless" and then think it's the truth so no point in wasting time on it (if they're shopping around or trying to research the best part to buy).

Try to keep the biasness and fanboyisms to the content of the posts themselves and not titles plz :/

cleeve

Illustrious

How can you declare something pointless without either a price or performance to judge it with?

The only pointless thing in this thread is your baseless declaration...

ATIWOLF

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
The Pro where a pretty good move,only thing is that they didn't last too long.If this card can be offerd at a low price-like many of you have said-and offers a good seat one game and Hi def benchmarkin charts then i will take it back.I personaly like Ati and want to see them pwn the mess out of nvidia be none of they're cards are getting the job done.A "new" card with nothing new to offer.It might as well be another pro with lower specs and the same power sucking properties.Looking at the DX10 reveiw thing toms did;Will people be satified about the performance they are getting when factoring in the cost of the card and componet's(psu) needed to use it?

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

Exactly
Some of us do not have un-limited pockets or resources for the latest and fastest.
Some do not have a full tower case with room for a dual-slot card or a 100 mega-ton psu.
If they run Vista and "want" DX10 capability (knowing the limitations), what shall they do?
2600XT or 8600GTS?

Now maybe some better choices:
8800GT or this pointless card as you have stated.
I myself cannot use the 2900GT (fansink too large)
So your declaration maybe is pointless and ir-relvelant to some