is HDTV a worldwide standard?

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 12, 2005 11:07:35 PM

just wondering if the tvI have will work outside of the US. thanks.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:11:47 AM

Yes, but no. The HDTV formats (1080p/1080i/720p) are standardized by
the ATSC which is an International standards body. So this means HD
devices (not many of them to count) should work universally... I
suppose game consoles have proven this to be true between Japan, the UK
and the US (XBox and PS2 have select games that do support 1080i or
720p though component output)

For over the air reception (modulation), there are two standards COFDM
and 8VSB. The US is using 8VSB, most other parts of the world are using
COFDM so your set would not be compatible for over-the-air reception.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:06:48 AM

In the US and Canada, and also South Korea : ATSC (8VSB, no 2 x 4VSB
alternate exists)
Japan (Brazil?) : I-DVB??? A variant of DVB-T, would require a substantial
software decoder re-write of DVB software.
EU / Australasia / ... : DVB-T (coding schemes vary)

> just wondering if the tvI have will work outside of the US. thanks.
April 13, 2005 1:23:40 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 05:06:48 -0700, "Max Power"
<mikehack@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>In the US and Canada, and also South Korea : ATSC (8VSB, no 2 x 4VSB
>alternate exists)

Mexico is also ATSC (8VSB)

http://www.atscforum.org/pr/PR-040707-ATSC-Mexico.pdf

>Japan (Brazil?) : I-DVB??? A variant of DVB-T, would require a substantial
>software decoder re-write of DVB software.
>EU / Australasia / ... : DVB-T (coding schemes vary)
>
>> just wondering if the tvI have will work outside of the US. thanks.

April 13, 2005 3:01:45 PM

<Jeremy.Deats@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, but no. The HDTV formats (1080p/1080i/720p) are standardized by
> the ATSC which is an International standards body. So this means HD
> devices (not many of them to count) should work universally... I
> suppose game consoles have proven this to be true between Japan, the UK
> and the US (XBox and PS2 have select games that do support 1080i or
> 720p though component output)
>
> For over the air reception (modulation), there are two standards COFDM
> and 8VSB. The US is using 8VSB, most other parts of the world are using
> COFDM so your set would not be compatible for over-the-air reception.

In 60 Hz countries there is 720p60 and 1080i60 in 50 Hz countries there is
720p60 and 1080i50. A North American set might not work with a 50 Hz scan
format, even assuming it could decode the digital information.

Richard.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:32:28 PM

Tim Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 05:06:48 -0700, "Max Power"
> <mikehack@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>In the US and Canada, and also South Korea : ATSC (8VSB, no 2 x 4VSB
>>alternate exists)
>

> Mexico is also ATSC (8VSB)
>
> http://www.atscforum.org/pr/PR-040707-ATSC-Mexico.pdf
>

>>Japan (Brazil?) : I-DVB??? A variant of DVB-T, would require a substantial
>>software decoder re-write of DVB software.
>>EU / Australasia / ... : DVB-T (coding schemes vary)
>>

>>>just wondering if the tvI have will work outside of the US. thanks.

The two countries that border the US and the country, S. Korea where the
IP royalties will go for 8-VSB. Strong endorsement for 8-VSB???

Bob Miller
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:11:16 AM

"Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> In 60 Hz countries there is 720p60 and 1080i60 in 50 Hz countries there is
> 720p60 and 1080i50. A North American set might not work with a 50 Hz scan
> format, even assuming it could decode the digital information.

Are all of the above formats ATSC standards? If so, I would imagine that
the sets would have no problem displaying the information. As to the
decoding of digital information, the only digital video interface I know of
is DVI/HDMI and that in itself has standards that would most likely be
adhered to.

--Dan
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:30:59 AM

dg schrieb:

> "Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>In 60 Hz countries there is 720p60 and 1080i60 in 50 Hz countries there is
>>720p60 and 1080i50. A North American set might not work with a 50 Hz scan
>>format, even assuming it could decode the digital information.
>

> Are all of the above formats ATSC standards? If so, I would imagine that
> the sets would have no problem displaying the information. As to the
> decoding of digital information, the only digital video interface I know of
> is DVI/HDMI and that in itself has standards that would most likely be
> adhered to.
>
> --Dan

Hello,

ATSC from USA is meant for 60 Hz deflection systems, Europe has 50 Hz
deflection systems. There are many flatscreen displays that cannot
handle 50 Hz video (like from Euro1080 HDTV) even if it comes through a
DVI/HDMI interface. So a european standardisation body has adopted the
"HD-ready" logo for consumer equipment that is able to handle 50 Hz as
well as 60 Hz HD video...

Klaus
!