marquezdl

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
I have an older system, 1.4g P-4 with pc800 rdram in it, but only 380 gb. My 12 year old is getting into gaming and I'd like to upgrade this to a full 2Gby. any suggestions on where to get the least expensive ram? I have an intel D850G motherboard with 4 slots that max's out at 2Gb.
Thanks

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
To be honest, RDRAM is very rare and very expensive and obsolete (trust me I used to work at Fry's), it would cost you about the same to get an entry-level Dell or HP system, and the new system would also be many times faster than you're current one.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
The cost of buying 2 GiB of RDRAM would cost you more than it would to buy yourself a new system. Just getting 2 256MiB sticks will cost in the 200-300 dollar range. With the processor that you have (and graphics as well, I doubt you've ever upgraded the video card) you're better off just getting a new computer all together.

tlmck

Distinguished
Yup. Even with the extra RAM, that system would choke on modern games. Better off with a new system, or even a gaming console. You can read the various Tom's articles on "building a gaming system" to see what level of machine might work for you. Whether you build or buy is your choice of course.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
i used to have RDRAM. n as they said. it is better u buy a new system. coz i dont think u can find that ram anywhere, n if u did. it will be bloody expensive.

IF u want to be spending the least amount of money. buy another motherboard that support ur processor, n get SDRAM/DDR RAM. but again, that wont be gaming system.

u rather buy a new system.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

memorysuppliers.com is one website where rdram is available. I think you'd be better off to build you a new system, and pass on whatever you have to your son. 2GB rdram will be ~ 1k USD.

mlek

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
A quick look on ebay tells me you could get the extra 1.5gb for around 150 bucks, if you want to go down that road. Otherwise I would wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the posts and build a new system yourself.

Not only is the amount of RAM prohibitively expensive, the processor on that thing is pathetically weak - a Sempron 2600+ would be twice as powerful and costs $100, mobo and 512 Mb RAM included - so I'll go along with the rest of the posters here: get a new rig.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I agree with everyone else here.. new system time.

we occasionally get a couple 256's in here (from scrap machines) but they dont last long. lots of people with dell 8200's are looking to upgrade their machines, and we usually sell them the pulls. and even used, they demand a good $