Second HD on Vista Ultimate machine

ktvanhorne

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
I just installed a second hard drive (Seagate 250gig SATA) onto my system running Vista Ultimate (ASUS P5B-E MB, Intel 6600 dual core, 2 gig RAM, WD 320 gig SATA). The install went smoothly and success was indicated. In device manager I see the drive and it says it is functioning correctly.

However, when I look for the drive in My Computer, it does not appear, and I am at a loss on how to access the drive and put data on to it. Is there a way to format the drive to enable Vista to see it and give access to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KT

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
Right click on your My Computer Icon and select Manage. Then instead of going to device manager go to Disk Management.

Your drive is probably there its just not active yet. In the lower right part of the window that pops up you should see Disk 0 to Disk 2. Disk zero is likely going to be your WD 320 gig and Disk 1 is going to be your dvd drive.

That just leaves disk 2 (or whatever the last disk # is if you have multiple dvd/cd drives attached).

If you right click on the one that applies to you seagate you should get menu that has something like 'Activate Disk' and/or Change Drive Letter.

Vista is kind of odd because I've added multiple disks to my Vista machine and each time its something different. Once it had no problem recognizing the hardware, an other time I had to activate the disk, or it recognized the disk but didn't give it a drive letter, and once I had to activate it and give it a drive letter.

And the sad part is they were all the same model drive.

ktvanhorne

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
kcrush,
Thanks for the response. It is exactly as you said. I actually found a response another 20 minutes after I posted on this sight in (of all places) the MS tech help site. They had a good walk-through of adding a second drive and it highlighted the "computer manager" - that I never even knew existed.
Thanks again for the response.
KT