Possibly functional ASUS v9999

GreggBrain

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Hello, newbie here. I've been using these forums off and on for a while to troubleshoot various problems and you guys are great. I was hoping someone might be able to help me out a bit here...
I recently got a (used) ASUS v9999 Deluxe graphics card from a friend but I really don't know if it works. I believe the problem, hopefully, stems from the fact that it needs two molex connectors when my box only has a cheap 330w PSU. When I boot up the PC the monitor can't find a signal, but the graphics card's fan spins. I tried booting with only one molex connected and as expected the card beeped very loudly at me.
Now I can expect that if my PSU didn't have sufficient power for the graphics card that it would beep at me even if I had both connectors in place. I really do hope that it's the insufficient PSU, well, mainly because a PSU is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new card. Plus it was free!
I know the best way to test this is just to get the new PSU and be done with it but I was hoping that this was diagnosable via forum. I really have no way of testing it without plopping down the dough and buying a new PSU and I'd rather not spend the money just to find out the card is bricked.
Thank you, in advance :)

System: MSI K7N2 mobo, AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton, 1 gb PC3200 RAM, 2x 80gb HDs in RAID, and maybe an ASUS v9999 ;)

GreggBrain

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007

Indeed. That's the card. I have both molex connectors in place, I just wanted to make sure that what i'm experiencing is normal for an underpowered rig. The card beeps at me on startup when I don't have both molexes connected, but does not beep when I do. However both scenarios give no output to the screen. Like I said, I don't want to buy a new PSU for a dead card... the wife would kill me.

I cant really see a card that needs two molex conectors running on a 330 watt psu.
What you do next depends on how you plan to proceed,will you get a new pc if this card dosent work ? in which case i would just do it.
On the other hand if you want to keep it running for a bit which is understandable then buying a new psu will be nesecarry any way i would have thought.So you tell the wife that it will need one any way then it either works and your up and running for the cost of a psu or it dosent and you get a new graphics card as well.
Mactronix

GreggBrain

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007

Heh, yeah... I know I badly need an upgrade. However it's kinda a long story. Short version being we bought a Mac 2 years ago and I promised to sell my machine (at the time a pretty killer machine, I forget the exact specs though it was MUCH better than what I have now) to comp for the price of the Mac. Anyway, Trying to justify any upgrade that's not gratis is, well, hard. You know with bills and such and her not liking me gaming all that much.

Ah I hate how complicated pinning down a PC problem can be. There's an almost infinite list of why I could be getting no signal from this card. :(

GreggBrain

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007

I suppose I probably do, though it might be hard finding the guy with a 480w+ PSU. Most all my friends are gamers but I'm not quite sure any of them have rigs needing that kind of power. I'll be sure to ask around.

GreggBrain

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Ooh, aha! ...possibly.
I've heard of people using PSUs in tandem somehow. Though I can't think of how you'd go about getting the second PSU to power up without the aid of the motherboard. I'm guessing it's a specific case, mobo, and/or PSU that allows people to do this *sigh*

akhilles

Splendid
I never said you must get a new one. You could borrow one from someone else. Be it your neighbor, friend or coworker. I think it'd be best if you test the video card on someone's psu or pc. Bring your pc to them. Or even a store saying you would buy a psu from them if it works, then tell them you don't have the cash right now. :)