Sign in with
Your question

Help with an 8800 for HDTV screen.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2007 6:46:22 PM

Hi all,

im in the process of putting together a new mid-priced pc(using the recent articles as guides). now i just realised that i will be doing all of my gaming and pc usage on my 26" HDTV which obviously doesnt go to very high resolutions but for some of the newer games they do offer widescreen resolutions (something like 1366x768). I would like to crank up the settings so the games look good on the TV.

I was set on the 8800GTX but then i thought do i really need something that "beefy" for the resolutions i'm gonna be playing at.

Would i be good with the standard 8800GTS or should i opt for the one with more memory? I did read that the later is good for high resolutions and max graphics. So then i even questioned that option.

Any advice would be great.

More about : 8800 hdtv screen

October 11, 2007 6:49:07 PM

if you want to game, the 8800gtx is the best graphics card, and the graphics card is the most important thing for FPS games
October 11, 2007 7:26:25 PM

i know the gtx is the best card but considering the resolutions ill be playing at is it really worth spending the extra?? (believe me im willing to but if i can save money then id definately consider it)

EDIT: oh after reading the forums some more its looks like new cards are coming out in about a months time. If the GTS with 320MB drops significantly in price i may consider gettin 2 :o 
Related resources
October 11, 2007 7:52:06 PM

At those resolutions a GTS 320 does not have the video memory to keep up.

Save the $$$ and gt the GTX. I have 2 GTS 320's in SLI and even at 1280X1024 there is a performance DROP with everything maxed out in modern games. Some games. And Crysis will not even run properly unless I use crappy textures.

Get the GTX. No post-purchase dissonance!
October 11, 2007 8:04:57 PM

yeah, you can never think, that card was inadequate that way
October 11, 2007 8:41:58 PM

thx guys, GTX it is. Any ideas on a good mobo for the E6750? i know its the wrong board but might aswell keep it in one thread.
October 11, 2007 9:11:22 PM

GTS 320 isnt bad at those resolutions, and in fact its really quite amazing, but you will need the GTX if you plan on cranking up the AA to 16 and filtering as well if you want respectable framerates. Otherwise, dont bother getting a GTX, there truly is a thing called overkill when you consider price. Mobo wise, I suggest a P35 or 650i based board, 680i is only for SLI.
October 11, 2007 9:21:43 PM

bornking said:
At those resolutions a GTS 320 does not have the video memory to keep up.

Save the $$$ and gt the GTX. I have 2 GTS 320's in SLI and even at 1280X1024 there is a performance DROP with everything maxed out in modern games. Some games. And Crysis will not even run properly unless I use crappy textures.

Get the GTX. No post-purchase dissonance!

I don't know if you have a crappy cpu or a lot of viruses but I have one single 8800 gts 320 and I am able to run Bioshock @ 1680x1050 with every setting at maximum. I know crysis wont run maxed out unless you have an $800 setup for you graphics alone which is sad that a majority of the people who buy crysis wont get to see how the game was meant to look.
October 12, 2007 12:12:01 PM

well after thinking about it i think im gonna wait and see what the prices will be in november, just after the new releases. I only want a mid-range system so it doesnt have to be maxed out really. Currently i still have my p4 with rdram(remember that crap) and it is literally on its deathbed. So i need something to tide me over for a couple of years.

!