Is the Intel Stock Heatsink Loud?

I'm planning my very first build and would like to know if the Intel stock heatsink is noisy? I have no intention to overclock so I don't need a good performer in cooling, but I'd want something silent. Would the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro be quieter? I will be getting the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 btw.
8 answers Last reply
More about intel stock heatsink loud
  1. The stock fan is quiet at idle, but when it is running at a high rpm, then yes, it can be loud.
  2. Yes, the Freezer 7 Pro would be quieter. However, with that quad core, I would be more worried about performance.
  3. From personal experience, the Freezer 7 Pro is the way to go!
  4. Groveling_Wyrm said:
    Yes, the Freezer 7 Pro would be quieter. However, with that quad core, I would be more worried about performance.

What do you mean by that?
  5. He means a better cooler, like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (best thing out there) or Tuniq Tower 120 etc.
  6. Silverion is correct. A Freezer 7 Pro isn't quite as good as the two Silverion mentioned. Using a quiet fan with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (as an example) would get you better performance at the same noise level, or at even lower noise levels. However, doing it this way would most likely cost more money, but that is the price you pay for good performance and quietness.
  7. Silverion77 said:
    He means a better cooler, like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (best thing out there) or Tuniq Tower 120 etc.

Groveling_Wyrm said:
    Silverion is correct. A Freezer 7 Pro isn't quite as good as the two Silverion mentioned. Using a quiet fan with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (as an example) would get you better performance at the same noise level, or at even lower noise levels. However, doing it this way would most likely cost more money, but that is the price you pay for good performance and quietness.

Do I really need the extra cooling performance for the Quad core even if I don't intend to overclock?
  8. canuck21 said:
    Do I really need the extra cooling performance for the Quad core even if I don't intend to overclock?

It really depends.

If you want your cpu to last long, better cooling is required. Perhaps if you leave it on 24/7, you might want to invest in a better cooler.

However, the Intel stock cooling is good enough for everyday use.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Intel Overclocking Product