Sign in with
Your question

DX 10.1 by the end of this year?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2007 7:31:18 PM

I am wanting a DX 10.1 compatible video card. I will be doing some gaming on it, I want a card that will play all upcoming games at least at Medium settings. Are there going to be any DX10.1 cards by the end of this year or do I have to wait until 2008? Isn't there already on out? an ATI card? How good is it?

Thanks!

More about : end year

October 11, 2007 7:51:06 PM

i would assume that all dx10 cards will play dx10.1 games as soon as their drivers get updated. dx10.1 wont be a huge leap from dx10 (not like dx9 to dx10) so any mid range dx10 card should suffice id say(unless i missed some huge ground breaking development :o ). Dont want to start a flame war or anything but nvidia seem to be dominant right now so you may want to consider them if your looking for a new card soon. If you can wait maybe ATI will bounce back in 08?
October 11, 2007 7:54:31 PM

I guess RV670 (2950 pro or 2950 XT) or whatever it is called is your only choice.
Related resources
October 11, 2007 7:55:25 PM

I really don't care if it is an Nvidia or ATI, just as long as it is the best value.
October 11, 2007 8:40:48 PM

http://www.josephsart.net/news.php?item.38.4
Funny part of the post:
"Even though DirectX10.1 will support current DirectX10.0 graphics hardware, today's DirectX10.0 hardware will not be able to support all of the features of DirectX10.1, which includes incremental improvements to 3D rendering quality."

Sounds like required new hardware for full directx10.1 support to me....

It's due to come out with Vista SP1 First quarter next year.
October 11, 2007 9:41:26 PM

Im so sick of this $hit, honestly. Thats why console growth is exploding. Paying $2K for a machine, only to have some hardware revision and not enjoy the latest games is totally out of control. I love my PC and will never trade it for anything, but developers and HW manufacturers are going to have to get their $hit together, otherwise people are just gonna give up, and you'll be left with a handful of enthusiasts like me.

I understand that new techs come out all the time, but at least have SW and HW developers work with specific time segments, ie. 2 year cycles. Develop games that are compatible with that platform, and then have a revision, make everyone aware in advance, and move to next gen.

Anyway, enough rants. Im done being a guinea pig for new tech. Wait till prices come down, then build. ie. My Crysis machine will come in 12 months.
October 11, 2007 9:45:42 PM

By the way - all this really means is $hitty games for PC users at the end of the day. SW developers will focus on console content. Not only is that market exploding, but games are much harder to pirate.

Companies will not spend mega budgets on PC games and we'll be left with sub-standard entertainment. Yes a WoW might come along every 5 years, but thats about it. Crysis looks awesome, but I'm telling you, the hype with these things is out of control. Look at Halo 3. Look at the X38. Im still waiting to see what happens with this one.

PS. I have hope for Spore. The concept sounds great.
October 11, 2007 9:59:39 PM

Game makers wont make games for just dx10.1 theyll completly ignore it because so much fo the market has dx10 cards.
October 12, 2007 12:26:05 AM

Your current DX10 cards will be compatible with DX10.1 just wont be able to take advantage of the additional features. If your going to play upcoming games on at least medium settings I'm guessing DX10.1 would be a bit redundant. They just tested the 8800GTS and the GTX and they performed rather well in DX10. I'm guessing thats your best bet.
October 12, 2007 1:31:08 AM

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Cevat Yerli of Crysis says the DX10.1 thing is a non issue...it's only something about coding guidelines and won't affect graphics.

Don't worry about DX10.1. But I'd wait until NVIDIA and AMD release their new cards in November...DAAMIT's will be DX10.1 compat and PCIe2.0. Not sure about NVidia's.
October 12, 2007 2:06:59 AM

I think the only major different between Direct X10 and 10.1 will be tessellation support; it's unlikely we'll see games taking advantage of this however for another year.
October 12, 2007 4:55:25 AM

People worry to much, the difference between DX10 & DX10.1 is very small (.1). I am not even worried about it, so much so I'm getting an 8800 GTX on November 1st. Life is fun but for some its just hell when it don't need to be.
October 12, 2007 3:48:17 PM

Small difference !!! Bull ----- ATI is releasing their 2950's in November ... bucu better shading properties to say the least ... 10.1 will have alot of refinements and advancements for the gaming industry . Why buy an outdated card when these 2950's are going to sell at about $250.00 retail ???? Somebody better read the specs on them and the future of directx 10.1 future capabilities before making such lame statements !
October 12, 2007 3:51:46 PM

Hatman said:
Game makers wont make games for just dx10.1 theyll completly ignore it because so much fo the market has dx10 cards.

What a dumb statement !!!!! -------------- :kaola: 
October 12, 2007 4:10:27 PM

physx7 said:
I am wanting a DX 10.1 compatible video card. I will be doing some gaming on it, I want a card that will play all upcoming games at least at Medium settings. Are there going to be any DX10.1 cards by the end of this year or do I have to wait until 2008? Isn't there already on out? an ATI card? How good is it?

Thanks!

November this year ... ATI 2950 ...... big bang low buck fully 10.1 ..... specs show will eat 8800's anywhere near it's class and not already obsolete like 8800's or 2900's !!!!! And they won't have to be overclocked out the bazoo like the nvidia's to perform !!
October 13, 2007 2:56:49 AM

trooper1947 said:
November this year ... ATI 2950 ...... big bang low buck fully 10.1 ..... specs show will eat 8800's anywhere near it's class and not already obsolete like 8800's or 2900's !!!!!

How is it that you know that the ATI 2950 will eat 8800's even before it is released? What does eat 8800's mean, slightly faster, 1.5 times faster? Anyone who go's by spec's aloan clearly doesn't know that much. :heink:  What a dumb statement!! :lol: 
October 13, 2007 3:02:05 AM

systemlord said:
How is it that you know that the ATI 2950 will eat 8800's even before it is released? What does eat 8800's mean, slightly faster, 1.5 times faster? Anyone who go's by spec's aloan clearly doesn't know that much. :heink:  What a dumb statement!! :lol: 

it's called the ATI Hype Train. Lots of people ride it. :pfff: 
October 15, 2007 5:37:45 AM

all aboard! :p 
No, but realistically from a marketing standpoint AMD/ATI wouldn't release a card that was at least not 'on par' with the 8800, and considering the current 2900XT performance as well as the 10.1/newness/new drivers, ATI fans are just hoping for it to turn out well, including myself.
October 15, 2007 8:53:13 AM

Personally I am an AMD fan. But I try to see things how they trully are. Currently I am trying to find a very good reason to buy an ATI 2900. And I simply ca't!
I hope this changes with the next gen video cards. For sure though, both AMD and NVIDIA are focused in power consumption for the next generation video cards. I don't see major improvements in performance coming.
Hopefully though the 2950's will approach even further the 8800GTX.
I want a motive to buy an AMD GPU and to be honest I don't have one...
Not to mention that last year I bought a Core 2 (the second Intel I bought since the Celeron 300A@450MHz)...
Out of 5 PC's my 3 latest ones have 8800 graphics cards on them....
October 15, 2007 3:50:26 PM

justinmcg67 said:
it's called the ATI Hype Train. Lots of people ride it. :pfff: 

Sounds like you're one of the ones who dumped bucu hundreds on a nvidia dx10 card and is sucking low titty with an outdated card ..... LOL .... :kaola: 
October 15, 2007 4:40:03 PM

trooper1947 said:
Sounds like you're one of the ones who dumped bucu hundreds on a nvidia dx10 card and is sucking low titty with an outdated card ..... LOL .... :kaola: 

Trooper1947 I don't mean to be offensive but for a lack of a better word you are a complete idiot! How is the 8800 GTX outdated? Also could you keep your childish remarks (titty) to yourself. I for one do not want to know whats inside your head, not that there would be anything valuable. DX10.1 is a very small update that won't change much of anything, nor will game makers know how to optimise it for at least a year or two. By then I'll own a new graphics card.
November 26, 2007 12:08:24 AM

Right, im in the middle here and im not taking anyones side, but it seems like some people are saying 'how can you judge hardware before it is released?' and at the same time are saying 'DirectX 10.1 will definately make next to no difference'... :heink: 

P.s- holding out for benchmarks before i make a choice on what to buy next. :whistle: 
November 26, 2007 12:47:38 AM

I have one thing to say... you buy an ATI HD38x0 today for its DX10.1 support that they claim... and how would you know if it really works? There are NO DX10.1 apps or games at the moment. By the time one comes out, they will be moving to DX11 already... (and what if they didn't implement it properly in the first place?) so just get a good card now and forget about DX10.1 or .2 or .... whatever.
November 26, 2007 12:52:31 AM

That is a good point, though the new cards are similarly priced and should still offer better DX10 support compared to the 2900 (even if it turned out to be only a little) wether they quite turn out as expected with the 10.1 or not is another matter, but atleast the support would be there.
November 26, 2007 4:29:40 PM

How important is DX10.1 support on cards not capable of putting out a decent number of FPS in CURRENT bleeding edge games??? Sure you can take advantage of some small graphics upgrades from 10.1 over 10.0 if and when they hit the market, BUT as crysis has shown us you will be enjoying a negligible graphics enhancement at single digit frame rates...

Honestly if you are wanting to turn on the high end graphics abilities in bleeding edge games in the next year or two NO CURRENT card will deliver playability and we have no real information on what the next year will bring, who would have thought a year ago today that the card being released next week (a year ago) would still be considered the top card at an extortionate price a year later... only being beaten by a even more overpriced factory overclock of the same model...

Im no fan of either company Im only iterested in my gaming experience and currently neither company has anything to offer me, DX10.1 offers NOTHING tangible and useable today or in the forseeable future and I see no way that the cards being released at themoment can possibly offer a decent gaming experience in any game advanced enough to utilise dx10.1... Think about the "crysis of next year" if this years crysis slaughters current cards what will the next big game (even if does support 10.1) do to the current dx10.1 hardware???

I can take my 8800GTX's down to 1 Frame Per Second in Crysis :D , with the very high detail hack everything on high and 16x AA at 2048x1536. The current crop of 10.1 cards arent that close to the 8800GTX performance.

I wouldnt even think about buying a card for dx10.1 today just as when I brought the 8800GTX I wasnt interested in its DX10 capabilities... I did think that by time the software came out that demanded DX10 and using it well I would be looking to upgrade anyway, I was right, unfortunately the two GPU sides havent given me much of an upgrade choice in the year since my last purchases.

DX10.1 to my mind is pure marketing until such a time as we have the graphics power to play crysis very high settings at decent resolutions with a decent level of AA enabled. Until that is achieved DX10.1 is not likely to be of any use to anyone...

For DX10.1 to bring anything to the table its going to have to BEAT crysis for graphics do you really see anything on sale today being able to be even close to playable in such a game?
November 26, 2007 4:41:34 PM

All very good points, and i agree wholeheartedly the GTX is without a doubt the single most powerful gpu on the market.

But how much do they cost?

Talking price to performance ratio, i think ATI's new set of cards will deliver. Unless ofcourse nvidia drops teh prices on the GTS and GT range which will probably happen now ive opened my mouth lol. But the 10.1 support cant be a bad thing.
November 26, 2007 5:04:48 PM

Directx10 and 10.1 are not the best things since sliced bread, too many think it's the be all and end all (not to anyone in particular). If only Vista got this much love hahaha.
November 26, 2007 5:07:31 PM

PMSL, i think due to our tech minds and competetive attitudes we all just love rooting for and dissing new hardware! Hehe.
November 26, 2007 5:15:08 PM

ill probably be buying one of these cards before the end of the week :S OMG hurry and release the new driver ATI so i can fooking see if you're worth it!
November 26, 2007 5:24:45 PM

It seems so far the 3870 performance is somewhere between the 8800gts and GT... albeit a little more to the GTS at the moment...

...I suppose if i got an 8800gt i could always sell it and use the cash towards a 3870 if ATI got the upper hand out of the 2 LOL.
November 26, 2007 5:44:54 PM

hmmm, 8800gts are about as easy to find as an escaped convict that was on death row.
The only thing putting me off getting an ATI card really is the fact that i have an SLI motherboard, i doubt Crossfire can be done on SLI boards can it? Nvidia owning the chipset and all lol.

P.s. sorry i didnt just squeeze all this into one huge post.
November 26, 2007 6:03:47 PM

I have played the current DX10 games and they barely look any better.

Maybe DX10 will get better
November 26, 2007 6:09:36 PM

Yea either way its gonna take time for developers to adapt to the new direct x set. direct x 10.1's main aim it seems is to give developers more flexability in choosing what kinda shaders etc they want their software using rather than leaving it to the driver. Also looks like 10.1 makes 4x AA a minimum standard.
November 26, 2007 8:07:01 PM

NeoTech said:
All very good points, and i agree wholeheartedly the GTX is without a doubt the single most powerful gpu on the market.

But how much do they cost?

Talking price to performance ratio, i think ATI's new set of cards will deliver. Unless ofcourse nvidia drops teh prices on the GTS and GT range which will probably happen now ive opened my mouth lol. But the 10.1 support cant be a bad thing.

First cost means nothing to some, second the only thing ATI can offer is DX10.1 on cards with no real power. What good is a card with DX10.1 if there are no games using it? Do you really think game makers are going to support DX10.1 when most of the graphics cards sold don't even support it? "Mark my words", DX10.1 is at least a year (I say two) away from really becoming a mainstream API.
November 26, 2007 8:34:07 PM

systemlord said:
First cost means nothing to some, second the only thing ATI can offer is DX10.1 on cards with no real power. What good is a card with DX10.1 if there are no games using it? Do you really think game makers are going to support DX10.1 when most of the graphics cards sold don't even support it? "Mark my words", DX10.1 is at least a year (I say two) away from really becoming a mainstream API.

Direct x 10.1 and direct x 10 are practically the same thing from what ive read, just 10.1 has a more strict set of rules and is a bit more configurable for the devs. the only new thing i could see in it was pixel shader 4.1 and i doubt that makes too much a difference.
The best thing the new 3870 has going for it is its price. and even that is only 20 pounds or so under a gts from what i can see, though it does have 512mb ddr4 ram as opposed to the gts' 320mb ddr3, giving it a slight edge.

But yes i agree, nothing worth celebrating. They should technically in my eyes be called the 2950 and 2970.

The reason its bugging me so much now ive done my research is that i only have £160 to spend at a push lol and the 8800 GT 512mb is pretty much a cloaked vessel right now, i wanna get my purchase out of the way before i wind up throwing the money at some debts and not upgrading atall.

Anyone got any advice?
November 27, 2007 1:38:24 AM

oh and for the guy wondering about getting the ATI cards, theyre really not performing as well as they should even with the new drivers that came out theyre only performing at around the same level as the 2900xt. Direct x 10.1 isnt worth shelling out for in my book, take it from me ive just spent the best part of 6 hours going through benchmarks and info about DX10.1. stay with 10 until Nvidia has their next set of cards (9xxx series) at an affordable price.
November 27, 2007 10:22:38 PM

When I bought my 8800GTX I needed a new card really bad and didn't even care so much that it could do DX10, it IS the fastest graphics card out so I bought it. At the time I bought my 8800GTX the 8800GT just came out but nowhere to be found, in stores or at NewEgg. Then I heard that the 8800GT had some problems that it had with heat and concluded that the cooler for the 8800GT was no good. So I paid $596.13, since money grows on tree's for me (invested money in stock market) and the 8800GTX had mature drivers and had a great duel slot cooler. Been really happy ever since. :D 
November 27, 2007 10:28:14 PM

i am limited to a budget ive been considering just throwing the money at some debts as i have a reasonably capable xfx 8600gt xxx. but the graphics detail on the likes of crisis at full settings is whats getting to me. do you think id regret blowing £160 on a GT now? Think i should ho;ld out for something else? i can already run crysis at medium settings pretty smoothly. would i get that much a performance difference out of the upgrade? bare in mind its not too often i have that kinda cash to blow on hardware. or anything else for that matter.
Cheers!
November 27, 2007 10:31:37 PM

im very borderline between just keeping the cash or just getiing a GT and being skint once again right now lol.
!