Hard Disc Testing: Command Line Options

July 10, 2005 1:37:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I've downloaded Seatools to test my HDD but the program hangs whenever
I run the boot CD.

In the help file it says:

"J. Command Line Options
--------------------
To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
seatools /ve:32

/GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
is either a crash or a hang.
seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
line)

/FIXALL to pre-approve writing zeros to any bad sectors that
may be detected during the long test scan. Starts automatically
and assumes all drives. Provides unattended repair. Do not
use this option if you have to protect critical data.

/ve:32 video mode for 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
/ve:31 for 640x480

How do I access the command line while the boot CD is running?
(or do I do it while windows is still running? dunno much about this
stuff!).

Thanks,

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
July 10, 2005 1:45:18 PM

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded Seatools to test my HDD but the program hangs whenever
> I run the boot CD.
>
> In the help file it says:
>
> "J. Command Line Options
> --------------------
> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
> seatools /ve:32
>
> /GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
> display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
> uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
> scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
> is either a crash or a hang.
> seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
> line)
>
> /FIXALL to pre-approve writing zeros to any bad sectors that
> may be detected during the long test scan. Starts automatically
> and assumes all drives. Provides unattended repair. Do not
> use this option if you have to protect critical data.
>
> /ve:32 video mode for 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
> /ve:31 for 640x480
>
> How do I access the command line while the boot CD is running?
> (or do I do it while windows is still running? dunno much about this
> stuff!).
>
> Thanks,
> --
> John Latter

John:
Assuming you have a floppy drive, why not download Seagate's SeaTools
Desktop diagnostic that you can easily create on a single floppy disk?
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
Anna
July 10, 2005 1:45:19 PM

Anna wrote:

> "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've downloaded Seatools to test my HDD but the program hangs
>> whenever I run the boot CD.
>>
>> In the help file it says:
>>
>> "J. Command Line Options
>> --------------------
>> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
>> seatools /ve:32
>>
>> /GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
>> display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
>> uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
>> scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
>> is either a crash or a hang.
>> seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
>> line)
>>
>> /FIXALL to pre-approve writing zeros to any bad sectors that
>> may be detected during the long test scan. Starts automatically
>> and assumes all drives. Provides unattended repair. Do not
>> use this option if you have to protect critical data.
>>
>> /ve:32 video mode for 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
>> /ve:31 for 640x480
>>
>> How do I access the command line while the boot CD is running?
>> (or do I do it while windows is still running? dunno much about this
>> stuff!).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> John Latter
>

> John:
> Assuming you have a floppy drive, why not download Seagate's SeaTools
> Desktop diagnostic that you can easily create on a single floppy disk?
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
> Anna

He said he'd started with the floppy and had the problem and that's why
he switched to cd. John - two things:

1. Open the computer and find the mftr. of the hard drive, or if you
already know it go to their site (assuming it isn't Seagate) and d/l
their specific hard drive testing utility and run it.

2. If the drive is made by Seagate and/or you still get problems running
a diagnostic, there are hardware problems:

a. The drive is bad.
b. The motherboard is bad.
c. Or both.

Things to try, testing after each change:

1. Swap out the drive cable for a known-working one.
2. Put the drive on a different IDE (or SATA if appropriate) connector
on the motherboard.
3. Swap out the power supply for a known-working one.
4. Try the drive in a different computer.

This will help determine which hardware component is failing and will
need to be replaced.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded Seatools to test my HDD but the program hangs whenever
> I run the boot CD.
>
> In the help file it says:
>
> "J. Command Line Options
> --------------------
> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
> seatools /ve:32
>
> /GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
> display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
> uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
> scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
> is either a crash or a hang.
> seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
> line)
>
> /FIXALL to pre-approve writing zeros to any bad sectors that
> may be detected during the long test scan. Starts automatically
> and assumes all drives. Provides unattended repair. Do not
> use this option if you have to protect critical data.
>
> /ve:32 video mode for 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
> /ve:31 for 640x480
>
> How do I access the command line while the boot CD is running?
> (or do I do it while windows is still running? dunno much about this
> stuff!).
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> John Latter

Are you following their instructions exactly, does it run from the OS or
from a separate boot disk, are you creating a ramdisk from your boot disk as
it seems to require?
This may be a problem specific to your hardware. email Seagate and tell them
your problem but don't do what you've done here- give them the information
about your computer to give them a chance to help.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:52:23 PM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:07:14 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've downloaded Seatools to test my HDD but the program hangs whenever
>> I run the boot CD.
>>
>> In the help file it says:
>>
>> "J. Command Line Options
>> --------------------
>> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
>> seatools /ve:32
>>
>> /GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
>> display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
>> uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
>> scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
>> is either a crash or a hang.
>> seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
>> line)
>>
>> /FIXALL to pre-approve writing zeros to any bad sectors that
>> may be detected during the long test scan. Starts automatically
>> and assumes all drives. Provides unattended repair. Do not
>> use this option if you have to protect critical data.
>>
>> /ve:32 video mode for 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
>> /ve:31 for 640x480
>>
>> How do I access the command line while the boot CD is running?
>> (or do I do it while windows is still running? dunno much about this
>> stuff!).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>

>Are you following their instructions exactly, does it run from the OS or
>from a separate boot disk, are you creating a ramdisk from your boot disk as
>it seems to require?
>This may be a problem specific to your hardware. email Seagate and tell them
>your problem but don't do what you've done here- give them the information
>about your computer to give them a chance to help.

Hi Alan,

I followed Seagate's instructions & burned an iso file to a CD &
booted from that. Everything was going ok (on a full scan) until it
reached 14% checked & then the program hung.

A couple of weeks ago I tried running the program from floppy disks.
On one occasion I got to 77% checked before it hung, on another I got
to 55%.

I emailed Seagate & they suggested using the CD.

Does anyone now what (and when!) they mean by this:

>> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
>> seatools /ve:32

Thanks,

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
July 10, 2005 6:22:22 PM

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:07:14 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
> wrote:
>

>>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've downloaded Seatools to test my HDD but the program hangs whenever
>>> I run the boot CD.
>>>
>>> In the help file it says:
>>>
>>> "J. Command Line Options
>>> --------------------
>>> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
>>> seatools /ve:32
>>>
>>> /GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
>>> display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
>>> uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
>>> scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
>>> is either a crash or a hang.
>>> seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
>>> line)
>>>
>>> /FIXALL to pre-approve writing zeros to any bad sectors that
>>> may be detected during the long test scan. Starts automatically
>>> and assumes all drives. Provides unattended repair. Do not
>>> use this option if you have to protect critical data.
>>>
>>> /ve:32 video mode for 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
>>> /ve:31 for 640x480
>>>
>>> How do I access the command line while the boot CD is running?
>>> (or do I do it while windows is still running? dunno much about this
>>> stuff!).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> John Latter
>>

>>Are you following their instructions exactly, does it run from the OS or
>>from a separate boot disk, are you creating a ramdisk from your boot disk
>>as
>>it seems to require?
>>This may be a problem specific to your hardware. email Seagate and tell
>>them
>>your problem but don't do what you've done here- give them the information
>>about your computer to give them a chance to help.
>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> I followed Seagate's instructions & burned an iso file to a CD &
> booted from that. Everything was going ok (on a full scan) until it
> reached 14% checked & then the program hung.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I tried running the program from floppy disks.
> On one occasion I got to 77% checked before it hung, on another I got
> to 55%.
>
> I emailed Seagate & they suggested using the CD.
>
> Does anyone now what (and when!) they mean by this:
>
>>> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
>>> seatools /ve:32
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> John Latter

that is a switch specific to that executable. try seatools /? to see if
there is more info. or seatools /help (this may not work, it depends on what
they've written into it).
If you still have problems try the tools from a different maker, they should
work too. I've found IBM's (now Hitachi) ok in the past.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:28:40 PM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:22:22 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

> [...]

Hi Alan,

The problem I have is I don't know when or how to access the command
line. Do I go start - run while windows is still running or is there a
way to access the command line while seatools boot Cd is running?

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
July 10, 2005 10:28:41 PM

> Hi Alan,
>
> The problem I have is I don't know when or how to access the command
> line. Do I go start - run while windows is still running or is there a
> way to access the command line while seatools boot Cd is running?

Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:58:46 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:

>Anna wrote:
>

>> "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've downloaded Seatools to test my HDD but the program hangs
>>> whenever I run the boot CD.
>>>
>>> In the help file it says:
>>>
>>> "J. Command Line Options
>>> --------------------
>>> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
>>> seatools /ve:32
>>>
>>> /GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
>>> display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
>>> uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
>>> scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
>>> is either a crash or a hang.
>>> seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
>>> line)
>>>
>>> /FIXALL to pre-approve writing zeros to any bad sectors that
>>> may be detected during the long test scan. Starts automatically
>>> and assumes all drives. Provides unattended repair. Do not
>>> use this option if you have to protect critical data.
>>>
>>> /ve:32 video mode for 800x600 resolution, 256 colors
>>> /ve:31 for 640x480
>>>
>>> How do I access the command line while the boot CD is running?
>>> (or do I do it while windows is still running? dunno much about this
>>> stuff!).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> John Latter
>>

>> John:
>> Assuming you have a floppy drive, why not download Seagate's SeaTools
>> Desktop diagnostic that you can easily create on a single floppy disk?
>> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
>> Anna
>
>He said he'd started with the floppy and had the problem and that's why
>he switched to cd. John - two things:
>
>1. Open the computer and find the mftr. of the hard drive, or if you
>already know it go to their site (assuming it isn't Seagate) and d/l
>their specific hard drive testing utility and run it.
>
>2. If the drive is made by Seagate and/or you still get problems running
>a diagnostic, there are hardware problems:
>
>a. The drive is bad.
>b. The motherboard is bad.
>c. Or both.
>
>Things to try, testing after each change:
>
>1. Swap out the drive cable for a known-working one.
>2. Put the drive on a different IDE (or SATA if appropriate) connector
>on the motherboard.
>3. Swap out the power supply for a known-working one.
>4. Try the drive in a different computer.
>
>This will help determine which hardware component is failing and will
>need to be replaced.
>
>Malke

Hi Malke,

Its a Seagate hard drive. THe problem I have is that I don't know when
or how to access the command line so that I can follow these
instructions:

>>> "J. Command Line Options
>>> --------------------
>>> To restart SeaTools on the RAM drive from the command line use:
>>> seatools /ve:32
>>>
>>> /GRAPHICSFIX - some graphics cards give problems during the
>>> display of progress and horizontal scroll bars. This switch
>>> uses a different style progress bar and disables the horizontal
>>> scroll bar on the trees. Without doing this, there
>>> is either a crash or a hang.
>>> seatools /GRAPHICSFIX /ve:32 (video mode must be last on the
>>> line)

Do I go start then run while windows is still running or can I access
the command line while the seagte boot cd is running?

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
July 10, 2005 10:31:29 PM

John Latter wrote:

> Hi Malke,
>
> Its a Seagate hard drive. THe problem I have is that I don't know when
> or how to access the command line so that I can follow these
> instructions:

> Do I go start then run while windows is still running or can I access
> the command line while the seagte boot cd is running?

SeaTools creates a RAM drive and when you boot with it, will usually
tell you what drive letter it assigns - most often "R". When you boot
with SeaTools, IIRC you can exit the graphical program and that will
put you into the commandline. You probably are already at the RAM
drive, so you would just type the command as above.

However, if you can't get through the SeaTools diagnostic, the hardware
is bad. Don't bother with the commandline. Proceed to test the hardware
as I previously suggested.

Malke
--
!