Overclocking my 3800+ x2 am2

Nubblet

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
Hi all merry Christmas thanks in advance for reading this

first my system
Athlon 3800+x2 am2 (freezer 64 pro cooler)
m2n-sli deluxe
2gb ram 1 gb of corsair xms2 and 1gb of aeneon i think both pc6400 (800mhz)
512mb 7900 gs runing stock

I've been trying for the last week or so to oc my 3800+ x2 only to about 2.4 Ghz and i know from reading on here and otherplaces its should be capable of this oc. i've had it stable at 2.1Ghz which isnt alot more than stock but so u all know the full story. i've gone to 2.2Ghz but after about 10mins the comp just shuts down, not a restart just shuts off and i have to switch it back on. it did this originally at 2.1 and i looked long and hard on the net and i finally came to the conclusion it was the Pci-e slot being oc'd so i fixed it at 100mhz which i think is stock. i have underclocked the ram to ddr667 so it dosnt go above its rated speed. i have cpu on 1.35v as this is stock ram on 1.8v which i think is stock. i dont think its gettin to hot arond 40 degrees c at full load.

i have cpuz, speedfan and core temp for info and use orthos doin a blend test on cpu and ram and a windows based memtest testing the rest of the available ram because orthos never puts full load on my ram for some reason oh and one other this speed fan is telling me my internal temp is at 95 :S i dont understand where it gets this reading from if any of u know i would apriciate the help

Thanks again for your time hope to hear from u soon

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
a tidbit old chap, im on a x2 4000+ (brisbane) and i have no problem reaching 2.3ghz using a stock cpu fan (well not to mention the 2 gigantic custom fans ive placed on my chassis)..

i havent tried to go any higher since me psu is crap along with me cheap RAM.. maybe you have the 90nm x2 there thats causing the stability issue. but seeing that you an aftermarket cooler, hmm..

Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have a X2 3800+ windsor on a Asus M2N-E board. When I got mine to 2.4 with 2gigs of ddr2 memory, it wasn't extremely stable, I'd get temperatures to 65C on load and 48-55 on idle. I could play games and what not, but once I'd get in highly intense action, the computer would shut off. I figured it was my overclock. I set the CPU back to default and added another gig of ram and the CPU is now cooler than my MB at 38-39C idle.

So, what I am trying to say is instead of overclocking it, get more ram and it will help it run much better.