Sign in with
Your question

PCI-e 2.0 For a laugh

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2007 3:02:27 AM

Hey guys just saw this article on the Inquirer.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/10/ati-releases-pcie2-cards

Does this make anyone laugh as much as what it made me laugh? Basically says that AMD/ATi X2400 cards can easily flood PCI-e1.0 for bandwidth... Lets all go out and buy X2400's cause they are PCI-e2.0 and will out do 8800's HAHA what a laugh

More about : pci laugh

a c 130 U Graphics card
October 12, 2007 9:12:12 PM

Right so the cards are not slow then its the MOBO bottlenecking them :lol: 
Mactronix
October 12, 2007 9:25:25 PM

It sais 10%, dont be so sarcastic. Its been shown by tomshardware in the past that x16 bandwidth over 8x bandwidth on most cards gives extra performance in certain tasks. Not most, but some it does.

This will be an edge over nvidias low end in the future.
Related resources
October 12, 2007 9:38:52 PM

I'm sorry, but there is just no way they are actually USING all that bandwidth, true, they might have to if you managed a 900% OC, but since thats nigh on impossible...
October 12, 2007 9:47:31 PM

Its not that, but some programs take up bandwidth, Ill try find the article for you. I thought the same as you until I saw it for myself.

Found it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/27/pci_express_scal...

Doesnt use low end cards, no but it should still have some impact if you look at some of those results. Cards make very good use of the high bandwidth.
October 12, 2007 9:57:11 PM

It depends on how textures are stored... If, due to small amounts of on-board memory compared with top range cards, the 2400 often swaps textures with main RAM, or is able to process video data directly in main RAM, then yes, it could flood the bus.
Flooding a bus is no way to measure a card's performance, I mean, I had a small scale test done today: take a GeforceFX 5200, and a Geforce 6200; you'll tell me that, although both a puny chips, the 6200 beats the pants off the 5200 (which is the 'value' version of a crappy chip design).
What you may not know though, is that the 5200 has twice the RAM bandwidth the 6200 has (it has a 128 bit memory bus, the 6200 is only 64 bit wide).
In most vertex and pixel shading tasks, the 6200 performs way better than the 5200.However, as soon as one moves huge amounts of textures or pixmaps (say, blitting a 1280x1024x32bit@60fps emulated desktop to your main viewscreen), the 5200 remains snappy while the 6200 crumbles.
Now, imagine what chips (at least) ten times more powerful, handling ten times the amount of data, can do on a PCI-E X8 port...
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2007 10:03:35 PM

The other thing to remember is that these cards are very memory bandwidth limited as eluded to by mitch.

A card that can't use the memory bandwidth it has available, and can't saturate the space available to it wouldn't see anywhere near the improvement of a card that could use hyper memory either as fast or faster than onboard, and also increase the memory available.

If you have high system memory then it would easily allow large improvements, although it's not going to outdo an HD2900 or GF8800 which have more than enough of both, but it does mean they will do better than their current extra crappy selves and just be crappy.
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 12, 2007 10:03:59 PM

Hatman said:
It sais 10%, dont be so sarcastic. Its been shown by tomshardware in the past that x16 bandwidth over 8x bandwidth on most cards gives extra performance in certain tasks. Not most, but some it does.

This will be an edge over nvidias low end in the future.

It says 10% maybee and its talking about 3DM06 not real life applications. I have seen tests that show that right down to x2 the performance hit is neglagable, so i guess it depends on what you want to beleive and yes i did read it in toms in case you were wondering.

I wont pretend i know half as much as i would like to about this sort of thing i just cant see how giving a card that already has a bandwidth of 40gbs another 40 can make a differance when the 2400pro runs at 6.4 and the 2600xt 35.2.

Mactronix
!