Sign in with
Your question

Thinking about moving from 2 19" CRTs to a 24" Widescreen - Question??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2007 3:04:42 AM

The best of having two screens is that I can easily maximize to programs on each screen.

If I had one giant 24" screen I am afraid that I will have to be constantly managing the size of multiple windows so they fit nicely, where as having two screen it is so much simplier to just maximize them and automatically have them fit.

I even have a program called "Ultramon": http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

It allows me to click a window and have it move to the other screen.

Am I being clear here? I basically just like having a physical divide to make managing different windows separately.

Can this be accomplished with a jumbo 24" widescreen monitor?
October 12, 2007 3:18:28 AM

if i'm not mistaken is that fuctionality not built into the dual screen process in XP? I've seen people who have dual screens of the same size freely move objects across both monitors without the aid of a third party software. Maybe i'm just not reading your question right. Are you basically trying to have the ability to have shared content across two screens and the option to expand items across each monitor, one from the other?
October 12, 2007 3:56:39 AM

To answer you first question: The utility adds a couple buttons to the top right corner of each window allowing me to, with one click, move a window over to another window. The other button allows the window to be maximized over both screens.

Here is the real problem I see: If I only have 1 big screen I will never really be able to use the windows maximize button because it will always cover the other windows on the screen. I will constantly be forced to manually place all my windows just right to allow each program to occupy 1/2 the monitor.

***** I guess what I would like is a way to maximize a window to cover the right half vs. the left half. That way I would not have to manually have to adjust my windows.

Thanks for asking for more clarity in my question.
Related resources
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 12, 2007 4:38:13 AM

There is a lot of value in having two screens. Why not keep one 19" display to go along with the new 24" display? I can answer the question because I did this. When I saw the display quality side by side, I had no choice but to get a second 24" display.

If you have enough screen real estate, you don't have to bother much with manipulating windows sizes.
October 12, 2007 10:34:55 AM

Once I had 2 screens, I never want to go back to one, regardless of size.

UltraMon is a GREAT program, and I use it too.

I would do as "geofelt" suggested and get the 24" and keep one of the 19".
Or just go for 2 x 24" ..... SWEET

October 12, 2007 11:23:30 AM

use ultramon here for work on 2 x17" lcd's and it's a lifesaver :) 
Have a 24inch at home and I resize the windows but it's worth it for the space you save :) 
October 12, 2007 12:00:38 PM

computerinfo said:

***** I guess what I would like is a way to maximize a window to cover the right half vs. the left half. That way I would not have to manually have to adjust my windows.

There is a very simple way to do this in Windows. Ctrl-Click all of the programs on the task bar you that you want to be side-by-side. They become selected. Right-click one of them and select "Tile Vertically." They will fill the screen side-by-side, each getting an equal amount of width.
October 12, 2007 12:34:51 PM

qwertycopter said:
There is a very simple way to do this in Windows. Ctrl-Click all of the programs on the task bar you that you want to be side-by-side. They become selected. Right-click one of them and select "Tile Vertically." They will fill the screen side-by-side, each getting an equal amount of width.

Thanks for the tip! :)  We learn everyday something!
October 15, 2007 2:26:38 PM

sweet tip..
!