Virgin Overclocker Needs Help

DDR3Boy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Hi, My name is Jay. I just built my first pc ever. I have been using laptops my whole life. I never realized the difference until I tried to be a gamer. I went ahead and built my first system. Im already looking to get the most out of what I have. I have read that whole writeup about overclocking and cant seem to comprehend all that info at once. If some one could guide me or tell me not to bother would be a great help. Here is what I am working with:

Asus P5K3 Deluxe WI-FI, E6750, Corsair XMS DDR3 1066 7-7-7-21, Mushkin 650, Zalman 9500 CPU fan, in a Antec p180. It idles around 31C and under a load (crysis) the most ive seen is 45c using coretemp.

I was thinking somewhere about 3.3 to 3.5 should make me happy. There really should be a "overclocking guide for dummies". I am very technical with my hands, but with so much info on the net its just mind boggling. Thanks for all your help.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
There's not much to it man, read up on the guide in steps, mess around in the BIOS and learn what you can..

To be honest you need to ask more specific questions, it's hard to tell you "Set this to X and then go."

The temps are ok.. you should also read the Temperature guide. Best of luck, if you have more specific questions we'll be happy to answer them. :D

tkpb938

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Probably just head to your BIOS and crank up the front side bus a bit...
Careful though, go little by little. Good Luck :)

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Enough to get it stable my friend.

It will all depend on what happens when running Prime95.

DDR3Boy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I bumped it to 375fsb and 1.375, it still wont stay stable. I used 3dmark06 as a stability check instead. It crashes 3dmark only 20 seconds or so into it. Do i need to just upping the vcore all the up to max 1.5 until its stable?
I left the dram timing stock for now, should I change it before going above 1.4+? In my bios I dont see the pci clock option...what else could that be called? Thank you so much.