chrisbarham

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Ok..think i finally got my rig sorted..but wanna pick your brains on the graphics card.

I am really looking to get an XFX 8800 GTX and overclock it..

however these are my thoughts and concerns..

1. The new nivida and ATI cards released next month, will be slower than the GTX as they are going to be mid range cards.- TRUE or FALSE

2. Direct x10.1 seems to add very little and in fact the GTX does have some of the hardware requirements already built into it - TRUE or FALSE

3. It easy to over clock the GTX - TRUE or FALSE

erm any other thoughts..would be great

1) From what I've been reading the releases next month are going to be lesser models than the GTX, but possibly in 1Q08 there might be a GTX beater, but not sure on that.
2) As far as I know the 8800gtx currently right now has NO 10.1 hardware installed on it.
3) Haven't personally OC'd a GTX, but I'm sure it can be done pretty resonably.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
The difference's between DX10 & DX10.1 is so small it would be hard to see a difference, it won't likely be use for some time. Game makers aren't going to make games for DX10.1 when theres hardly any hardware out there that can do DX10.1. DX10 is so new it will take a loooong time before game makers get DX10.1 running at the level of our DX9.0c. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

1. True, apparently. Nothing official yet.

2. No clue. I read that 10.1 doesn't add anything essential over 10, but I'm not a DirectX expert so don't listen to me.

3. Newegg sells XFX 8800 GTX for $500 right now, both the 575 MHz and the 600 MHz version. Just get the 600 MHz and enjoy. Or get the BFG OC2 for $550, it is already overclocked beyond the level you can reach yourself (unless you've very good at it and lucky and patient). There's also an MSI version at 610 MHz for $489, probably your best choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127281

1 True
2 Little differance No hardware
3 True
I would still wait to see what the new cards have to offer first.

Dont know if its true but i read that the BFG 0C2 has some differant memory modules that let it go faster than a standard one. Can anyone yay or nay that for me ?
Mactronix

I got the OC2 and read the brochure but I don't remember seeing anything about special memory modules in there. I do remember reading somewhere that the OC2 has a better (and quieter) cooler than usual, that was a major selling point for me. Don't know if it's true, but it's sure a quiet card.

tlmck

Distinguished
You can figure at least 2 years from the time that DX 10.1 is finalized before you see any games for it.

No matter when you buy, there will always be something faster, cheaper tomorrow.

I think you'll be happy with the GTX even w/o OC. Just make sure you have the PSU for it.

TRENDING THREADS