Why can't I download the real installer instead of a half MB file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone, how do you do :)
Coming straight to the point,
I find this trend increasingly annoying.
Try downloading the flashplayer for firefox, a 1 MB file downloads, click on it and a 10 MB file downloads.
Try downloading the yahoo messenger, the google chrome browser, and even the avira antivirus, a 1 MB file downloads and then launching this file downloads the actual installer, and auto-deletes the real installer after the installation completes.
But why? It's so damn annoying. I have a paid version of IDM which makes the small 1 MB download super-fast. But then clicking on this small installer won't trigger the IDM, and it takes considerably longer. Plus, I have 3 computers at home, why download the same file 3 times? I could easily download it once, share it on the network and it would be available to all my computers. Why is this weird trend getting so popular? Thanks.

G

Thanks for ur reply :)
I have a i7 desktop, a i3 laptop, and another 11 years old P4 that i revived just a few days back ( the HDD & the CMOS battery were dead when i took it out the garage :p )
And yes, they are networked :)
But how do i download once and share? I can share the 1MB installer easily, but not the real installer this 1MB file downloads, cause i have no clue where this bigger installer is being saved :(
Thanks again :)

G

Thanks for your reply :)
So then, am I the only one who's finding this "web-installer" concept weird?
I would very much like to get rid of this web installer thing and be able to download the full installer.. I'd have a physical copy of the real installer which i would share on my network, copy on my USB flash stick and maybe help a friend who doesn't have a high speed internet connection..
These software vendors could give us an option to download the stand-alone installer or the live installer.. That would keep all of us happy, the one's who like the web installer concept, and older people like us who like having a physical copy of the whole installer in hand.
Not that they don't, I opened the "get flashplayer for firefox" page, and it triggered the web installer download automatically. I then clicked on "Download not working", and i was given a link to download the real installer. Couldn't they make it simpler my offering two links on the download page? One for the live installer and another for the stand alone? I mean not a lot of us would click on the "download not working" link, and end up downloading the same file 3 times in 3 home computers.. This is terrible for people with slow internet connections and people who don't have an unlimited internet account..
just my thought..
Thanks again for your reply :)

For files/programs that get updated frequently, like flash, I can see this (web installers) being a good thing.

At the same time, I'm a person who believes in choice and do wish sites gave us that choice. Unfortunately we don't control their business's and don't have much say so in the matter. You can always email adobe and give them your viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS