what if you unplug 1 sub HDD?

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i just got a question.
i have 2x 320GB HDD
ill install vista tomorrow and i want to make 2 partitions, 1 with windows, (320GB) and other for my files( 320GB)

lets say you made it, and what if you unplug second HDD(files) and plug in when im useing it. im unplugging it because 2 HDDs are making too much heat. (47C each) i could feel heat over the HDDs.
dont say that i need to put more fans in my case. i just like how it is now...

if you plug it in later, will the windows reconize it?

sturm

Splendid
As long as they are SATA hot-swappable there shouldn't be a problem with them while the computer is running, but I wouldn't just to be on the safe side. ESDs and all.
Personally, I would turn the computer off, plug it in, then turn the computer on.

To really honest you need a fan blowing across the drives. It doesn't have to be very big. Many cases have a fan slot right in front of the drives for this purpose.

Can you explain why you don't want a fan?

To me plugging and unplugging the drive is way more of a hassle then the very small amount of fan noise, if any at all, you will get. Not to mention the wear and tear on the connectors could cause them to fail more quickly then the heat would.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
stum speaks the truth.

Wear and tear on the cables will make them go much faster. I had a cable fail on me a month or so ago because I repeatedly swapped my linux and windows drives.
See, I have to swap them out since I prefer to install linux on it's own drive separate from windows. Since I had to fall back to a mobo with only 2 SATA connectors, I can't have all 3 plugged in at once. So it's either my linux drive and media drive, or my windows drive and my media drive.
My linux drive also has all my anime so I can't access it in windows :(.

Anyways my point is, don't do that!
Try to figure out a better cooling solution instead.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i think you misunderstood my point . i meant that im unplugging and plugging in the HDDs when pc is off. i done use sub hdd every single time i turn on the pc,

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Totally agree. One MUST have fans on HDDs 47°C is WAY to hot to run on a normal basis. My father and brother have have multiple HDDs fail with massive data loss because of similar temperatures. You'll end up regretting your decision to not add the fans. Please learn from other's mistakes and cool your HDDs appropriately.

bah, 47 wont kill a drive. ask google they have done a massive study and did not even find much of a temperature to HD death ratio...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/18/massive-google-hard-drive-survey-turns-up-very-interesting-thing/

Windows will not care if you unplug the drive then boot...if you are going to be doing this allot it may be advisable to get a mobile rack so you don't open the system just yank the drive and put it away(on the plus side those ARE hot swappable as long as your boards controller supports it...ahci is on way to allow this).

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
The answer to your question is YES windows will recognize the drive. As long as you are just using it to store files its ok. If you have programs installed on the drive thats a different story. If you have programs installed on the drive they will have links to the drive with the operating system, the links should remain but if you happend to add a pen drive you could loose the drive letter of the drive your doing this with. Then all the links between the operating system and that drive become invalid.

But my recommendation is don't do it either, every time you open the case to plug in or unplug the drive your risking a static discharge that could damage other hardware, even with the power off.

I would suggest if your just using the drive to store files (pictures, music, documents) and do not have any programs installed on this drive, you go out and buy an external USB, Firewire or eSATA case for this drive. You computer will support at least the USB external case if not one of the other two. My board supports eSATA which is what I use, my external case supports both eSATA and USB so I can take this drive anywhere.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

I'm just going off [semi-] first hand experience. I'm not sure if my experiences are statistically significant.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
antec is a good case.. i wish i had it. i got xion case...

i already have usb HDD which is full, that is why im taking out a internal HDD from the box under my desk..

does cold cathode affects temps inside of the case alot. mine was kinda hot when i touched it. i got 2 of UV in my case..

ill get some fans this weekend and see if that works..

i think i really have bad airflow inside of the case. i got 1 80mm rear fan, and i gpu cooler that takes hot air to the outside of the case, and also 120mm fan in my corsair psu. but only a one intake on the side of my case, running full speed 2500rpm,
i noticed that my case is hot because my psu gets really hot when im playing games for more than 30 mins. (with closed case) but when i open up the case and play games, it is very cool.
i got to put some fans in it!

my temps (idle//load)
cpu e4400 (28//44) gpu hd2600 OC (46//53) HDD(45//47) these are not that bad.. strange..

You could get a removable Tray that mounts in a 5 1/4 bay. I have a IDE HDD mounted in a tray, when I want to Use it I just Push the Drive in (POWER IS OFF). I think they also make one in SATA form.

I have 4 internal HDDs ( 2 pair sata Raid 0 XP on one pair, Vista on 2nd Pair), The Removable IDE HDD, one External USB, and one External Firewire HDD. Also 2 sata dvd writers.

The USB & Firewire HDD are normally off but can be powered on by console switch without powering down system.