mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
i was having the strangest trouble with my pc and could not figure it out until earlier tonight; yesterday and earlier today i would be in the middle of surfing and suddenly the pc would crash back to desktop or just turn-off...
i checked everything, BIOS, memory, psu, ran everest, sandra, just looking for something out of spec.....no luck.
the weird part was that immediately after crashing back to desktop or complete and instant pc shut-down i could restart and browse for another hour or so.....
tonight i was sitting at the desk and noticed the tower making less noise than usual, glanced over and noticed the CPU fan had quit running, imagine that; it all made perfect sense at that point.
i can understand the over-heated CPU and motherboard socket causing the crash back to desktop but causing the whole system to shut-down has me a little frazzled.
Y'all got any ideas.?
is this strictly a heat related issue....?

mrmez

Splendid
If the fan has died etc... as they often do, one of a few things will happen.

1) Ur cpu will 'throttle' down (more like skip cycles but whos counting). This makes it slower (duh) which reduces heat :)

2.) If it cant throttle enuf and heat reaches critical the cpu will simply shut off, causing an instant reset.

On a new cpu they SHOULD NOT be damaged by this, but the problem needs to be addressed.

THG has JUST dont an article on this. CHeck the main page.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
the fan has not died as it restarts when i refire the pc......motherboard related issue, maybe.
Today i will move the power lead to the cpu fan from the motherboard to a more reliable source such as my fan controller.