ineedaname8

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Ive been looking around and i see that you want ram and fsb at a 1:1 ratio when overclocked.

So if i had a core 2 duo e6750 @ 333mhz fsb and overclocked it to 400mhz fsb then ddr2-800 would in fact run at 800mhz if i am correct.

If this is true then how can ddr2-800 run at 800mhz when the cpu is not overclocked and has a fsb of 333mhz?

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
The ram will run at 800mhz, but the system will run at 667mhz. So the communication path from your cpu to your main system memory will be slower than what the ram is rated at, but once the ram gets the info, it will be processed at 800mhz.

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Ya, the ram will operate at what ever speed you set it at. I'm saying ddr800mhz if sset to that value, will run at 800mhz regardless of the fsb setting. It just means the fsb will be operating at 667mhz or what ever. For example, If you install ddr3 1600mhz, and set your fsb to 400mhz, the ram will be running twice as fast as the fsb.

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Spikeli27...Let me ask you a question. If I'm wrong, then why does high speed ddr3 exist? With ddr3 1600mhz, you would need an effective fsb of 3200mhz to function at a 1:1 ratio. Last I knew, that doesn't exist even if you overclock using phase change. So based on your theory that I'm wrong, or should I say lack of evidence that I'm wrong, any ram that does not run exactly at a 1:1 ratio with the fsb would be a waste of money and a scam by the makers of the ram itself. My ram is set to 1000mhz in the bios on a p5k deluxe... Running my ram at that speed resulted in lower latency and higher memory bandwidth than running in sync. with the fsb. I have tested it!! In addition there are plenty of apps that take advantage of higher speed ram, and does not need to be in sync with the fsb to see the benifits. One of them is games.. Games typically load most of the textures and other info directly into the ram(thats why Crysis recommends 2gb or more ram even though the game is only 7gb in total on disk). Then there are the video and compression apps that take advantage of higher speed ram despite what the fsb is doing. I don't mean to bash you spikeli27, but acusing me of being wrong with out a shred of evidence and knowledge on the subject is extremly ignorant and arrogant.