Sign in with
Your question

sometimes pc doesn't turn on - ticking power supply

Last response: in Components
September 29, 2007 11:20:41 AM

I'm having problems with turning on my new PC that I built recently.
If I can manage to turn on the computer everything is ok. it runs perfectly. However, sometimes when I turn off the computer, the PSU starts to make a ticking noise (like there is a clock inside) after everything is shut down. And when this happens the computer doesn't re-start as long as the ticking continues. I don't know how/why the ticking goes away but when it does you can turn on the computer just fine. I'm not sure about this but it appears to me when I disconnect/reconnect the 20-pin power cord the ticking stops, and I can turn on the computer.
The weird part is once the computer is on everything works fine, the ticking of the PSU doesn't start until after you shut down the computer. (in other words, the ticking never happens when the PC is on, it only starts when you turn off, and you can only turn on if it stops)
I tried another brand-new PSU, but exactly the same thing happened. I tested both PSU's by jump starting them. Both managed to power a fan. My system is:

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
cpu: Core 2 Duo e6750 (core temperatures are fine around 27 C)
heatsink: freezer 7 pro
PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS-430 Watt
(as i said I also tried another PSU, and that was Cooler Master extreme power 5oo Watt)

I'd appreciate if you can guide me through solving this problem.
September 29, 2007 12:40:15 PM

List the entire specs.

Do you press the power button on the case or switch the power off in the psu when you shut it down?
September 29, 2007 9:32:29 PM

If i was you i would shut down the pc immediatly, open up the psu and have a look for rats, it sounds like they may be in ther chewing through the wires, would explain the ticking.
Related resources
October 1, 2007 8:23:31 PM

Your PSUs probably refuses to start because another hardware piece in your computer causes a problem. For example, if there is a short on a hard drive and the voltage goes nuts, the PSU may not start or even shut down. This is a protection feature installed in most computers, i think on the mobo itself. I suggest you have a tech look at this, if you let this the way it is, some hardware in the PC can damage overtime. The problem it to find what hardware cause that issue, it can be the hard drive, CPU, mobo, even RAM. You can try boot the PC without all his memory modules to test if one memory chip has a problem for example, or try another hard drive. Just a drive without O.S. is fine for this kind of test.

And kill that rat if you find it! (joke)
a c 121 ) Power supply
October 1, 2007 8:43:44 PM

Well, that Coolermaster (both of them, actually) is on Tier-5 ("Do not buy"). How long does it take for the ticking noise to stop? Does it slow down, or just stop? Are you sure it is coming from the PSU and not the mobo, or some other component?
I seem to recall that some PSUs had a feature that wouldn't let them power-cycle rapidly, but don't know if Coolermaster is one of them. Seems to me that was back in the days of AT PSUs.
And, did you say a 20-pin connector? It isn't a 24, so you're using an adapter, or leaving four holes unplugged? You may be pulling more 12V+ than it can comfortably handle.
!