Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XP activation window expired

Last response: in Windows XP
March 9, 2010 1:58:16 PM

I was contacted by a customer who had work done by a different company. They installed an OEM version of XP Pro on their Dell machine but didn't activate it. The 30 day activation window has passed and now they can't login. They get a message that says they must activate and there is a button that says Resolve Now. Press the button and you end up back at the login. I can boot into safe mode and get the same message. However after clicking resolve now it puts me at the desktop in safe mode. I've tried using the install disk and repair Windows to no avail. I've also tried rolling back.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The business and I would prefer to not format it.

Mark
March 9, 2010 1:59:38 PM

It currently has Windows XP pro SP3 installed.
March 9, 2010 2:40:55 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Look for the option "Activate now"
Related resources
March 9, 2010 2:44:16 PM

I can't get into windows. You try to login and it puts you right back at the login. if you try to use the Activate Now while in safe mode it says that you have to log in normal mode.
March 9, 2010 4:35:59 PM

In the log in of the normal mode, the system don't give you the option to activate Windows?
March 9, 2010 5:28:33 PM

When I enter the login information and hit enter a box pops up that says that a genuine copy of Windows is needed and there are 2 buttons. Resolve Now and resolve Later. Either button will just take you back to the login screen with no additional windows or options.
March 10, 2010 11:33:59 AM

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Best solution

Anonymous
March 10, 2010 11:36:31 AM

It's a problem with Internet Explorer. You need to reinstall IE 7 or 8 in Safe Mode with Networking.
March 10, 2010 2:16:02 PM

Thanks grumpy. It wasn't quite that easy but it gave me the info needed. When I tried to login via Safe Mode with Networking it acted the same as logging in normal. It said I couldn't do it and booted me back to login. I rebooted in standard safe mode and noticed that the computer still have IE6 on it. I downloaded the full install of IE8 and put it on a CD. Then I installed IE8 on the computer while in safe mode. After install reboot into normal mode and VIOLA! the activate window pops up when I click resolve now. I was able to activate and all is right again.

You get 5 gold stars.
March 10, 2010 2:16:17 PM

Best answer selected by markeby.
Anonymous
March 10, 2010 5:39:38 PM

Thanks for the vote! I knew it was something like that, I just couldn't remember the exact steps. It took me many hours on Google to find the solution since I had the exact same problem.
March 21, 2012 1:00:18 AM

markeby said:
Thanks grumpy. It wasn't quite that easy but it gave me the info needed. When I tried to login via Safe Mode with Networking it acted the same as logging in normal. It said I couldn't do it and booted me back to login. I rebooted in standard safe mode and noticed that the computer still have IE6 on it. I downloaded the full install of IE8 and put it on a CD. Then I installed IE8 on the computer while in safe mode. After install reboot into normal mode and VIOLA! the activate window pops up when I click resolve now. I was able to activate and all is right again.

You get 5 gold stars.

greetings. thats the cazyest thing i ever heard. does this really work? is there any other ways to activate xp pro sp3 when the exired activation error comes?
March 21, 2012 1:54:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
!