Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte p35 Ds3r

Last response: in Overclocking
December 25, 2007 5:14:34 PM

This question has been asked multiple times in the C2D overclocking sticky, but I can't find an answer in there with a search (here or google). I also tried looking through the mobo manual and the descriptions were quite poor and I still could not find the answers I was looking for.

I have a Gigabyte P35 Ds3r mobo and am attempting to OC. I have found the majority of the settings in my BIOS, but I cannot find the PCI Clock Synchronization. Does anyone know where this feature is in these BIOS? Do I need to update the BIOS in order to find this feature? I want to OC but am afraid to do it without finding this setting.

The other settings I can't find are the Virtualization feature and Spread spectrum. If anyone knows where these are I would appreciate that as well. Is the spread spectrum important or if I don't find it, should I not worry?

Finally, can anyone explain how to get the memory 1:1 or otherwise on this board? I am gathering that the memory frequency option can set it 1:1, but doesn't allow you to set the multiplier otherwise. Any insight?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but the PCI clock sync is the most important. Thanks.

More about : gigabyte p35 ds3r

December 25, 2007 7:25:26 PM

I've got 2 answers for you.

First, I believe that the newer boards (especially Gigabyte) doesn't have the PCI frequency setting. It's always locked on 33.33mhz

Finally, there is really no 1:1 setting, it's 2:1. For example, if you run your fsb at 400mhz, your ram would be running at 400mhz x 2, which is 800mhz. This is because, to put it simply, DDR2 ram. Double the rate.
December 26, 2007 1:29:58 AM

To your first answer, thank you, that is great news! I was a bit worried to play around and have that value be fluctuating, but now I will go ahead and OC.

I understand what you mean about DDR (and I should have stated my question more specifically here) but I meant, how do I interpret the multiples and options in the BIOS for memory multiplier. There are quite a few options but none of them seem to be 5:4 or any of the other conventional possibilities, just multipliers of 4 or 3.33 etc. Any insight?
Related resources
December 26, 2007 1:58:05 AM

Just divide the ratios. 5:4 would actully be 10:4 because of DDR2. The 10/4 is 2.5.

You can always just multiply the ratio with the fsb. Like if you're running 200mhz fsb, your ram at 5:4 would be 2.5X200=500mhz. However I'd leave the settings at 2, people says it's the best setting.
December 26, 2007 2:02:34 AM

Oh just in case you want to go backwards...

2.5 is really 2.5/2 since DDR2 makes it X2 so in order to go backwards you need to divide by 2. So 1.25 it is. 1.25 is really 125/100= 5/4. 5:4, magic eh?
December 26, 2007 2:21:35 PM

New problem! I tried overclocking at 266 (failed), 233 (failed) 205 (success), 215 (success) and then at 220 I got a DISK BOOT FAILURE error. I changed the boot order and the only thing that will boot is my USB drive (an XP cd will not boot). While trying to install windows I had some trouble and was forced to delete the partitions I had made as only 1 was recognized, so it is possible that the HDD is dead. If this is the case, is it possibly a result of the OC I did? The only thing I didn't change was the PCI clock sync because it wasn't in my BIOS.
December 26, 2007 5:05:48 PM

Update:

I reset all settings in the BIOS using the fail safe option and my system boots up fine. I am now a bit afraid to try overclocking again. I would appreciate any insight into why this might have happened and whether or not I should be worried. The only additional information I can give is that I followed the C2D OC guide except for changing the few items mentioned in the OP which I could not find. Thanks.
December 26, 2007 5:29:16 PM

Someone can tell me if it's better p35C-Ds3r or asus P5K for OC pelase?
!