Gigabyte p35 Ds3r

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
This question has been asked multiple times in the C2D overclocking sticky, but I can't find an answer in there with a search (here or google). I also tried looking through the mobo manual and the descriptions were quite poor and I still could not find the answers I was looking for.

I have a Gigabyte P35 Ds3r mobo and am attempting to OC. I have found the majority of the settings in my BIOS, but I cannot find the PCI Clock Synchronization. Does anyone know where this feature is in these BIOS? Do I need to update the BIOS in order to find this feature? I want to OC but am afraid to do it without finding this setting.

The other settings I can't find are the Virtualization feature and Spread spectrum. If anyone knows where these are I would appreciate that as well. Is the spread spectrum important or if I don't find it, should I not worry?

Finally, can anyone explain how to get the memory 1:1 or otherwise on this board? I am gathering that the memory frequency option can set it 1:1, but doesn't allow you to set the multiplier otherwise. Any insight?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but the PCI clock sync is the most important. Thanks.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I've got 2 answers for you.

First, I believe that the newer boards (especially Gigabyte) doesn't have the PCI frequency setting. It's always locked on 33.33mhz

Finally, there is really no 1:1 setting, it's 2:1. For example, if you run your fsb at 400mhz, your ram would be running at 400mhz x 2, which is 800mhz. This is because, to put it simply, DDR2 ram. Double the rate.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
To your first answer, thank you, that is great news! I was a bit worried to play around and have that value be fluctuating, but now I will go ahead and OC.

I understand what you mean about DDR (and I should have stated my question more specifically here) but I meant, how do I interpret the multiples and options in the BIOS for memory multiplier. There are quite a few options but none of them seem to be 5:4 or any of the other conventional possibilities, just multipliers of 4 or 3.33 etc. Any insight?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Just divide the ratios. 5:4 would actully be 10:4 because of DDR2. The 10/4 is 2.5.

You can always just multiply the ratio with the fsb. Like if you're running 200mhz fsb, your ram at 5:4 would be 2.5X200=500mhz. However I'd leave the settings at 2, people says it's the best setting.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Oh just in case you want to go backwards...

2.5 is really 2.5/2 since DDR2 makes it X2 so in order to go backwards you need to divide by 2. So 1.25 it is. 1.25 is really 125/100= 5/4. 5:4, magic eh?

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
New problem! I tried overclocking at 266 (failed), 233 (failed) 205 (success), 215 (success) and then at 220 I got a DISK BOOT FAILURE error. I changed the boot order and the only thing that will boot is my USB drive (an XP cd will not boot). While trying to install windows I had some trouble and was forced to delete the partitions I had made as only 1 was recognized, so it is possible that the HDD is dead. If this is the case, is it possibly a result of the OC I did? The only thing I didn't change was the PCI clock sync because it wasn't in my BIOS.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Update:

I reset all settings in the BIOS using the fail safe option and my system boots up fine. I am now a bit afraid to try overclocking again. I would appreciate any insight into why this might have happened and whether or not I should be worried. The only additional information I can give is that I followed the C2D OC guide except for changing the few items mentioned in the OP which I could not find. Thanks.