mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
After taking a break I finally decided to try overclocking again. I recall the first time there was a PCI setting, but in my instructions I found in a drawer there is no reference to it. Should I make any changes to it?

But my main question is related to vcore. I set all of the other voltages to a setting based on the instructions, but inadvertently left my vcore at auto. After running everest for 2 hours and with everything stable my speed was 3 ghz and my temp was 59-60. Since everything is stable and my temps are not outrageous, should I bother changing the vcore, or leave it at auto?

Thanks!

Eddie

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Leaving it on auto isn't exactly bad at 3ghz. However usually the auto settings will give more voltage than necessary so there's extra heat you can eliminate. Try setting it manually then testing with whatever for 6hours. You want the lowest VID possible.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Thanks...speaking of testing I was doing a blend of cpu and memory. Should I do small or large FFT's, or custom? If custom what should I set it at?

I adjusted my vcore to 1 setting below 1.4 and after 5 minutes of everest my temps are at 65.

Thanks!

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
First you start off with blend, leaving the cpu voltage on auto. This should test the memory for stabilities. You don't want too many variables when a OC goes bad, see? After that, use the small FFT's to stress the cpu.

If you're getting 65C after only 5mins, bring your clock speed down. That's getting too hot too fast. What cpu do you have? If you are using, say a Core2duo, I would recommend anything under 65C as your load temps. Also stress test for 6hours.

If you are indeed using a C2D, at 3Ghz the voltages should be more around 1.35V.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
My cpu is the e6600 (see my sig). I'll lower my vcore to 1.35 and then start my stress tests again. Or set it to auto...

Oh! And what priority should I use?

Thanks!!

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
When running Everest there is a drop down list for "priority" and it goes from 1-9 (iirc).

My system was not stable with vcore of 1.35. Everest did not stop the stress test...the whole system just locked up. I also backed down my FSB so I am now at 2.9ghz. I'll keep playing and see what happens.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Oh, I don't use Everest, I use Prime95.

Well there's this thing called Vdroop, not a very good explainer but basically the setting that adjusts the voltage for the cpu is the max VID. This means that the voltage you set is the max the cpu can use. So when you use CPUZ or whatever, the real voltage use is lower than the VID.

Here's a great article on it (well on tons of things as well):
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3184&p=5

grant8844

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I have the same mobo and cpu as mickeddie.
suggest he increases the MCH chipset (northbridge) voltage from default of 1.55v to 1.65v
I am running 3.2GHz with 1.3125 vCore and 53c for Core temps and 47c for cpu temp using SpeedFan 4.33