Sign in with
Your question

building a new system, need help deciding..

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2007 8:49:26 PM

i'm currently in the process of building a new gaming pc.. it used to be that amd was a better choice for the system i'm building, but i haven't been in the pc field for awhile now and i've read conflicting reviews about amd. so, i'm asking for advice choosing between amd athlon 64 x2 6400+ processor or an intel core 2 extreme qX6850 3.0GHz 8mb cache 1333mhz fsb based system???

i play a lot of fps games, such as battlefield 2, joint operations series, call of duty series, medal of honor series and occasionally flight sim x.

here's a brief system stats i have picked out so far;

Motherboard: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition NVIDIA Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition Processor - 3.20GHz, 2MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB, Windsor, Dual-Core, Socket AM2 (940)

Memory: OCZ Reaper Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) x2 [4GB total]

Graphics Processors: Dual BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC2 Video Card, 768MB GDDR3, SLI Ready, PCIe, Dual Link Dual DVI, HDTV x2 [Dual GPUs ran in SLi]

Other Essentials: BFG Ageia PhysX Accelerator Card - Graphics Accelarator, 128MB GDDR3, PCI

System Drive: Western Digital Raptor 150GB HDD, 10K RPM, 16MB, SATA-150

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate

now, if this was a few years ago i'd definitely go with the amd processor, but i've read a lot of good reviews of intels new core 2 extreme specifically for gaming. can anyone help me decide between the two? :cry: 
September 23, 2007 9:07:48 PM

Dont go intel for Quad core, AMD has released their quad core and how it works is allot better then intel for now. intel is going to have to redesign theirs to keep up.

I have a very similar setup to what you listed.

Its up to you if you wana pay more for .2ghz but the 6000 should do fine. the M2N boards are VERY memory picky, dont get OCZ with M2N boards unless you KNOW it will work. Patriot, Corsair, and Crucial work well that I know of. As for OS get Vista ultimate and go 64bit, get 4-8GB memory and pwn vista. i dont have a single problem with vista, doubt i will anytime soon with my setup. (see below) You dont need a PhysX card... trust me, i got one... waste of money, the new vid cards are built to handle more so physics are no longer a pain to them.

oh yea also! that board is AM2+ compatible (AMD quads will work on it)

see this: http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=8305
September 23, 2007 9:23:06 PM

thanks for the input.. i don't guess i need to pay an extra $75 for .2Ghz.. i got a little carried away. i do that on my builds. lol

i also forgot to mention that i'll be running a 30 inch dell 2560 x 1600 lcd. ordered it last night and can't wait to see it.
September 23, 2007 11:08:06 PM

very cool on the 30" m8
I have a 28" HDLCD and you will love it. you don't expect it to be as big as it is unless you go to a store with 26-32" screens. but that ruins the fun lawl
!