Questions regarding RE4

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

Whew! I finally finished Resident Evil 4, and, though it was a good game
with some memorable moments, I felt the overal story was a bit lacking as
well as the character interaction. The story is indeed interesting, and
there are several great characters, but more questions should have been
answered and the answers you did get should have been presented clearer, and
I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of over-the-top action scenes in the
game.

Having completed it, I have a bunch of minor questions and semi-complaints
I'd like to get some comments on though. So here's a list, which, if you
haven't played through the game yet, you may not want to read due to the
many spoilers...

* SPOILER SPACE *

- Why did Leon feel so strongly about avenging Luis' death? It seemed like
he hardly knew him, as they had only had a few brief encounters, and Luis
didn't say anything/much about himself -- though he was helpful.

- What was the serum everyone were looking for, and which Luis dropped (at
the cutscene in the castle, I think - and he gave him the pills instead)?
Was it the "cure" against the Las Plagas? If so, then why is the radiation
machine necessary - perhaps it is only needed if they have matured to
adulthood?

- How did Leon know what the machine was, and how to operate it?

- Did Ashley get cured? When they entered the surgical room (as I think it's
called), we only saw Leon's parasite disappear, and when it was Ashley's
turn we could see that the process seemed a bit "trickier" than Leon's, if
that's the right word, and the machine seemed to be blinking a red warning
sign of some sort.

- Why all the ruckus with Ashley? Having her infected was apparently a plan
to infiltrate the US government, but why the need for a ritual, and what was
the big machine that Ashley was in at the end? Could they not simply have
infected her, then sent her off?

- Lord Saddler came off as a religious figure. What is this religion he
stood for? I presume it's somewhat tied up with the Las Plagas. And the
brotherhood he was leading seemed to be called Los Illuminados, or something
similar.

- Why/how was Lord Saddler able to control other Las Plagas?

- What was it Salazar mutated with?

- What the heck was Salazar's "right hand man"?

- What interest did Salazar have in helping Saddler?

- And what, exactly, was wrong with Salazar? He was apparently just 20, but
didn't look overly healthy/normal; he was 20 but looked like an "old man,"
and he was quite short.

- Some more light should have been shed on the Las Plagas. Like, what
exactly is it they do to their hosts? And why did the presence of Las Plagas
lead to mutations (such as heads popping off to reveal tentacles, The
Village Chief's mutation, possibly Saddler's mutation, Del Lago, and
others)? Some of the odder mutations were apparently due to laboratory
experiments on the Las Plagas and with various test subjects though, but I
don't think their natural form was ever really revealed.

- Who were Ada and Krauser?

- When did Leon find out about the Las Plagas? I can't recall there ever
being a "Aha, it must be some kind of parasites which are causing their
irratic behaviour!" moment in the game.

- What had happened in the laboratory/autopsy area? It looked fairly
deserted, exept for a few Regenerators. It would have been fun running into
a few scientists, or some of their memos, though it looked like some of them
had been killed (brutally).

- What was the "fleshbag" you found in the red bin that moved when you
checked it?

- There were a few "what have they been eating here" references throughout
the game, as I recall, and several places you found rotten food. This wasn't
explained. Wouldn't the infected people still need to eat normally? And it
looked like some of them were still trying to drive their farms.

- Is is me, or does the effects of the Las Plagas seem suspiciously similar
to the viruses in the other Resident Evil games? As in the other series,
animals have been affected, bosses/characters are able to mutate, and
experimentation has been done to create new foes (Hunters, Lickers,
Regenerators, "Clawers," The "It"/U3, etc.). I'm guessing the Las Plagas may
actually have something to do with the viruses on some level, or it may just
be a huge coincidence.

- What is it that (occasionally) pops out of the heads of the Ganados: is it
the Plaga, the Plaga's "tentacles," the mutated guts of the host, or
something else?

- And where does the blade that keeps getting swirled around actually come
from?

- The Chainsaw men wear bags over their heads. Why? I wouldn't think they'd
be overly concerned about their looks.

Stevie

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

> * SPOILER SPACE *

> - Why did Leon feel so strongly about avenging Luis' death? It seemed like
> he hardly knew him, as they had only had a few brief encounters, and Luis
> didn't say anything/much about himself -- though he was helpful.

I suspect it was more the that that someone he knew had died....he was
pretty
miffed when the helicopter pilot died, and was sad to see the policemen dead
(even though they were devoid of any likable qualities!)

> - What was the serum everyone were looking for, and which Luis dropped (at
> the cutscene in the castle, I think - and he gave him the pills instead)?
> Was it the "cure" against the Las Plagas? If so, then why is the radiation
> machine necessary - perhaps it is only needed if they have matured to
> adulthood?

The serum was Las Plagas....which is probably why..the illuminados was it?
Yeah, which is probably why Los Illuminados didnt want anybody else getting
it. It didnt say, but its not like there was a big vat of Las Plagas
somewhere...i dont know if youve played through "Assignment Ada" yet, but if
you have then you'll know there arnt too many of those vials. The serum was
Las Plagas, the pills stunted the growth of the parasite, and the machine
was the (only) cure.

> - How did Leon know what the machine was, and how to operate it?

There was a memo left by Luis talking about how to cure the disease nearby.
As for operating it...well...he pressed go, and it went.

> - Did Ashley get cured? When they entered the surgical room (as I think
> it's
> called), we only saw Leon's parasite disappear, and when it was Ashley's
> turn we could see that the process seemed a bit "trickier" than Leon's, if
> that's the right word, and the machine seemed to be blinking a red warning
> sign of some sort.

I dont know if our perceptions are different, but Ashley didnt seem in as
much pain as Leon. As it is, Saddler would have probably manipulated Ashley
with his powers, were she still infected.

> - Why all the ruckus with Ashley? Having her infected was apparently a
> plan
> to infiltrate the US government, but why the need for a ritual, and what
> was
> the big machine that Ashley was in at the end? Could they not simply have
> infected her, then sent her off?

They needed her to be human(ish) when she was sent back, and they were
holding out for a randsom from the President. The machine probably delayed
her change.

> - Lord Saddler came off as a religious figure. What is this religion he
> stood for? I presume it's somewhat tied up with the Las Plagas. And the
> brotherhood he was leading seemed to be called Los Illuminados, or
> something
> similar.

I think it was more of a cult, which stood for world domination, of course!
There were undertones of "we are the superior species, the world will be
better with us running it" here and there.

> - Why/how was Lord Saddler able to control other Las Plagas?

This I dont know. I suspect I might know if i had played ResiZero for more
than half an hour...that one seemed to have a mystical geezer in it. I
speculate, though, that in the same way a queen ant controls the other ants,
Saddler controled the infected.

> - What was it Salazar mutated with?

Las Plagas, I assume. Salazar had some power, and Saddler was always telling
Leon about how powerful he would be if he let himself succomb.

> - What the heck was Salazar's "right hand man"?

Im not sure. In the same way that the T-Virus could create Lickers, Nemesis,
William Birkin dog-jelly-monster thing, and the like, Las Plagas could
create different monsters aswel. With the T Virus, injecting yourself with
the virus did one thing, mutating the virus and injecting it did another,
and catching the virus did something else. I dont see why Las Plagas would
be different.

> - What interest did Salazar have in helping Saddler?

Aparently, Salazars family thwarted Saddler before...theres a memo about it.
In Salazars' butlers memo, Salazar seemed to have been seduced (by power,
probably) by Sadler to help him.

> - And what, exactly, was wrong with Salazar? He was apparently just 20,
> but
> didn't look overly healthy/normal; he was 20 but looked like an "old man,"
> and he was quite short.

Lord knows. He looked like a shrivelled twelve year old. I dunno, maybe the
villiage had been preparing for a long time, Salazar was infected as a
youngun, and therefore didnt age....speculation, dunno how helpful it is:p

> - Some more light should have been shed on the Las Plagas. Like, what
> exactly is it they do to their hosts? And why did the presence of Las
> Plagas
> lead to mutations (such as heads popping off to reveal tentacles, The
> Village Chief's mutation, possibly Saddler's mutation, Del Lago, and
> others)? Some of the odder mutations were apparently due to laboratory
> experiments on the Las Plagas and with various test subjects though, but I
> don't think their natural form was ever really revealed.

Luis left a few notes on his studies on Las Plagas...how it controled
lifeforms to infect others, and such. Its feisable that all will be revealed
in Resi5!

> - Who were Ada and Krauser?

Short answer: Henchman employed by Wesker and Umbrella.

*Resi 2 spoilers*
Long Answer: In Resident Evil 2, Leon comes across a "reporter" called Ada.
They kinda sorta helped eachother but split up (In true Resi style),
however, if I recall correctly, Ada threatens to kill Leon if he dosnt hand
over the T-Virus. Alas! She gets shot in the back my no-mark character Mrs
Birkin, T-Virus creator William Birkins wife, and falls (apparently) to her
death.
At this point, we suspect Ada ISNT a reporter, and the fact she wants the
virus is strange, but it dosnt matter because shes dead.
This is what we know when we see her appear for the first time during Resi4

As for Krauser...he's just some guy. Leon met him at
presidents-daughter-guarding-boot-camp or something. I dont know. He is
great fun for the Mercenary missions though.

> - When did Leon find out about the Las Plagas? I can't recall there ever
> being a "Aha, it must be some kind of parasites which are causing their
> irratic behaviour!" moment in the game.

There are memos dotted all over. Also, the first time I shot a head off one
to reveal a bug-thing was my first clue:D

> - What had happened in the laboratory/autopsy area? It looked fairly
> deserted, exept for a few Regenerators. It would have been fun running
> into
> a few scientists, or some of their memos, though it looked like some of
> them
> had been killed (brutally).

You do run into one of the scientists: Luis. And he leaves his memos all
over the place!

> - What was the "fleshbag" you found in the red bin that moved when you
> checked it?

It was creepy as hell thats what it was.

> - There were a few "what have they been eating here" references throughout
> the game, as I recall, and several places you found rotten food. This
> wasn't
> explained. Wouldn't the infected people still need to eat normally? And it
> looked like some of them were still trying to drive their farms.

Your right, it wasnt explained.

> - Is is me, or does the effects of the Las Plagas seem suspiciously
> similar
> to the viruses in the other Resident Evil games? As in the other series,
> animals have been affected, bosses/characters are able to mutate, and
> experimentation has been done to create new foes (Hunters, Lickers,
> Regenerators, "Clawers," The "It"/U3, etc.). I'm guessing the Las Plagas
> may
> actually have something to do with the viruses on some level, or it may
> just
> be a huge coincidence.

The main differences, as far as I can tell, are that; Las Plagas isnt
infectious, where the Virus is; Las Plagas seems to be a living organism,
where the T Virus mutates existing creatures, and Las Plagasis natural, the
T Virus is more man made.

Of course, the two are almost certainally connected. It was Krauser that
kidnapped Ashley, and he was a double agent on the side of Umbrella, but
pretending to be with Saddler. Who can even say!

> - What is it that (occasionally) pops out of the heads of the Ganados: is
> it
> the Plaga, the Plaga's "tentacles," the mutated guts of the host, or
> something else?

I think it changes. You get tentacles, creepy crawlies, and
giant-bite-you-in-half heads.Different stages of the Plagas development I
guess.

> - And where does the blade that keeps getting swirled around actually come
> from?

It looks like mutated bone. I believe Tyrant grew himself a dagger thing
aswell.

> - The Chainsaw men wear bags over their heads. Why? I wouldn't think
> they'd
> be overly concerned about their looks.

The chainsaw women all have their heads bandaged aswel. Perhaps if your
strength gets all augmented then your face falls apart. The more powerful
the creature, the more mutated it was, and also, the Ganados still seemed
kinda human, alot of them laugh when they kill you and stuff. Perhams they
dug the scary-ass-lunatic look!

Forgive the spelling, and sorry this was mostly speculation!

"Stevie" <icing_sugar_addict@hotmail.com> writes:

> > * SPOILER SPACE *

> > - There were a few "what have they been eating here" references throughout
> > the game, as I recall, and several places you found rotten food. This
> > wasn't
> > explained. Wouldn't the infected people still need to eat normally? And it
> > looked like some of them were still trying to drive their farms.
> >
> Your right, it wasnt explained.

I for one don't want it explained. Things are creepier if left unsaid, leaving
you to imagine the worst.

> > - The Chainsaw men wear bags over their heads. Why? I wouldn't think
> > they'd
> > be overly concerned about their looks.

It's simply because it looks more disturbing that way.

--
Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
The Rhythm has control.

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

> > - Why did Leon feel so strongly about avenging Luis' death? It seemed
like
> > he hardly knew him, as they had only had a few brief encounters, and
Luis
> > didn't say anything/much about himself -- though he was helpful.
> >
> I suspect it was more the that that someone he knew had died....he was
> pretty
> miffed when the helicopter pilot died, and was sad to see the policemen
dead
> (even though they were devoid of any likable qualities!)

As Tr0n² points out, they could have already known each other -- judging by
the banter, it seemed like they were on friendly terms, and if they're on
the same mission/team it's not too unlikely that they have a history
together as casual friends. Luis, on the other hand, he had just met.

> > - What was the serum everyone were looking for, and which Luis dropped
(at
> > the cutscene in the castle, I think - and he gave him the pills
instead)?
> > Was it the "cure" against the Las Plagas? If so, then why is the
radiation
> > machine necessary - perhaps it is only needed if they have matured to
> > adulthood?
> >
> The serum was Las Plagas....which is probably why..the illuminados was it?
> Yeah, which is probably why Los Illuminados didnt want anybody else
getting
> it. It didnt say, but its not like there was a big vat of Las Plagas
> somewhere...i dont know if youve played through "Assignment Ada" yet, but
if
> you have then you'll know there arnt too many of those vials. The serum
was
> Las Plagas, the pills stunted the growth of the parasite, and the machine
> was the (only) cure.

It seemed more like it was a cure than it was a specimen to me, though, as
it seemed like he were looking for them in order to give to, and help, Leon
and Ashley. And what would he want with a specimen? Other than as plain
proof that this organism exists.

> > - How did Leon know what the machine was, and how to operate it?
> >
> There was a memo left by Luis talking about how to cure the disease
nearby.
> As for operating it...well...he pressed go, and it went.

Yes, but it didn't say where the machine was, nor really how it worked. You
just go into the room, and suddenly you see the cut-scene of him going to
use the machine. A bit too fast-paced for my liking; this could have been a
good opportunity to add a puzzle, too.

> > - Did Ashley get cured? When they entered the surgical room (as I think
> > it's
> > called), we only saw Leon's parasite disappear, and when it was Ashley's
> > turn we could see that the process seemed a bit "trickier" than Leon's,
if
> > that's the right word, and the machine seemed to be blinking a red
warning
> > sign of some sort.
> >
> I dont know if our perceptions are different, but Ashley didnt seem in as
> much pain as Leon. As it is, Saddler would have probably manipulated
Ashley
> with his powers, were she still infected.

From what I recall, she did seem to be in more pain. And Ashley and Saddler
didn't run into one another after the machine had been operated.

> > - Why all the ruckus with Ashley? Having her infected was apparently a
> > plan
> > to infiltrate the US government, but why the need for a ritual, and what
> > was
> > the big machine that Ashley was in at the end? Could they not simply
have
> > infected her, then sent her off?
> >
> They needed her to be human(ish) when she was sent back, and they were
> holding out for a randsom from the President. The machine probably delayed
> her change.

Well, I can't really say if this is right or wrong -- sounds a bit odd, but
who knows. Maybe the machine made the Las Plagas harder to remove.

> > - Lord Saddler came off as a religious figure. What is this religion he
> > stood for? I presume it's somewhat tied up with the Las Plagas. And the
> > brotherhood he was leading seemed to be called Los Illuminados, or
> > something
> > similar.
> >
> I think it was more of a cult, which stood for world domination, of
course!
> There were undertones of "we are the superior species, the world will be
> better with us running it" here and there.

That's all well and fine, but we didn't learn too much about this
religion/cult -- like, why they aid the Plagas, if they have any gods, their
personal creed, etc., and it seemed like it had been around for a few
hundred years.

> > - Why/how was Lord Saddler able to control other Las Plagas?
> >
> This I dont know. I suspect I might know if i had played ResiZero for more
> than half an hour...that one seemed to have a mystical geezer in it. I
> speculate, though, that in the same way a queen ant controls the other
ants,
> Saddler controled the infected.

I haven't played Resident Evil Zero yet, but as far as I know they're not at
all connected.

> > - What was it Salazar mutated with?
> >
> Las Plagas, I assume. Salazar had some power, and Saddler was always
telling
> Leon about how powerful he would be if he let himself succomb.

It didn't look like a normal Las Plagas (it was a huge blob thing!).

> > - What the heck was Salazar's "right hand man"?
> >
> Im not sure. In the same way that the T-Virus could create Lickers,
Nemesis,
> William Birkin dog-jelly-monster thing, and the like, Las Plagas could
> create different monsters aswel. With the T Virus, injecting yourself with
> the virus did one thing, mutating the virus and injecting it did another,
> and catching the virus did something else. I dont see why Las Plagas would
> be different.

Again, it seems suspicious that it's so similar to the T/G viruses in this
regard. But the laboratory experiments were mentioned/hinted at.

> > - Some more light should have been shed on the Las Plagas. Like, what
> > exactly is it they do to their hosts? And why did the presence of Las
> > Plagas
> > lead to mutations (such as heads popping off to reveal tentacles, The
> > Village Chief's mutation, possibly Saddler's mutation, Del Lago, and
> > others)? Some of the odder mutations were apparently due to laboratory
> > experiments on the Las Plagas and with various test subjects though, but
> > don't think their natural form was ever really revealed.
> >
> Luis left a few notes on his studies on Las Plagas...how it controled
> lifeforms to infect others, and such. Its feisable that all will be
revealed
> in Resi5!

They were interesting, but certainly didn't answer all the answers. It was,
for example, hinted at that the Plagas had a collective consciousness (maybe
that's how Saddler controled the others?), but it wasn't explained/shown
much.

> > - When did Leon find out about the Las Plagas? I can't recall there ever
> > being a "Aha, it must be some kind of parasites which are causing their
> > irratic behaviour!" moment in the game.
> >
> There are memos dotted all over. Also, the first time I shot a head off
one
> to reveal a bug-thing was my first clue:D

Still didn't seem to be a sufficient "aha" moment to me, though.

> > - What had happened in the laboratory/autopsy area? It looked fairly
> > deserted, exept for a few Regenerators. It would have been fun running
> > into
> > a few scientists, or some of their memos, though it looked like some of
> > them
> > had been killed (brutally).
> >
> You do run into one of the scientists: Luis. And he leaves his memos all
> over the place!

Well, presumably there had been more than just him (judging by the murdered
scientists).

> > - What was the "fleshbag" you found in the red bin that moved when you
> > checked it?
> >
> It was creepy as hell thats what it was.

.... and what was with the guy in the oven? A fun element, but it could've
been better if they had both been properly explained (maybe finding a
"Chef's Last Memo").

> > - Is is me, or does the effects of the Las Plagas seem suspiciously
> > similar
> > to the viruses in the other Resident Evil games? As in the other series,
> > animals have been affected, bosses/characters are able to mutate, and
> > experimentation has been done to create new foes (Hunters, Lickers,
> > Regenerators, "Clawers," The "It"/U3, etc.). I'm guessing the Las Plagas
> > may
> > actually have something to do with the viruses on some level, or it may
> > just
> > be a huge coincidence.
> >
> The main differences, as far as I can tell, are that; Las Plagas isnt
> infectious, where the Virus is; Las Plagas seems to be a living organism,
> where the T Virus mutates existing creatures, and Las Plagasis natural,
the
> T Virus is more man made.

Well, it may depend what you mean by infectious -- they must be able to
breed/multiply somehow, and apparently you can get infected by simply
breathing the spores, as the initial miners were.

> > - What is it that (occasionally) pops out of the heads of the Ganados:
is
> > it
> > the Plaga, the Plaga's "tentacles," the mutated guts of the host, or
> > something else?
>
> I think it changes. You get tentacles, creepy crawlies, and
> giant-bite-you-in-half heads.Different stages of the Plagas development I
> guess.

Doesn't seem too unlikely! Though it could be the other way 'round, that you
first get creepy crawlies before they properly integrate with their hosts,
in which case they get the tentacles. But it may have something to do with
development.

> > - And where does the blade that keeps getting swirled around actually
come
> > from?
>
> It looks like mutated bone. I believe Tyrant grew himself a dagger thing
> aswell.

Possibly. But looking at the bottle cap you won of the Las Plagas Ganado, it
looked pretty much like a proper blade, with a metal handle and everything.

> > - The Chainsaw men wear bags over their heads. Why? I wouldn't think
> > they'd
> > be overly concerned about their looks.
> >
> The chainsaw women all have their heads bandaged aswel. Perhaps if your
> strength gets all augmented then your face falls apart. The more powerful
> the creature, the more mutated it was, and also, the Ganados still seemed
> kinda human, alot of them laugh when they kill you and stuff. Perhams they
> dug the scary-ass-lunatic look!

Definitely a good look for them! Though a bit Jason-Leatherface'esque (from
Friday The 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre).

> Forgive the spelling, and sorry this was mostly speculation!

Your input's much appreciated though!

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask...

- Why are there no children in the village? I read somewhere that the images
that roll by at the beginning of the end credits explain this, but I wasn't
able to piece the images together into a coherent story when I saw it.

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

In message <IOydnR-jC53TlZPeRVn-pA@deskmedia.com>
Wulf <wulf@goldfieldaccess.net> wrote:

> Evil Eivind wrote:
> > Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask...
> >
> > - Why are there no children in the village? I read somewhere that the images
> > that roll by at the beginning of the end credits explain this, but I wasn't
> > able to piece the images together into a coherent story when I saw it.
>
> It's just too creepy and horrifying.
<big snip>

It's starting to become a little more regular in films though. I
distinctly remember seeing a child as one of the victims in the virus
in 28 Days Later, and I think I saw a few in the Dawn Of The Dead
Remake. You don't see any of them die though, just what happens
afterwards (Man walks out with a big bit of wood that has blood all
over it, etc.).

I can't be certain, but the reason that kids (Or not a lot of kids) are
seen in violent and/or scary videogames is due to the target audience.

Kids appearing in a game like Grand Theft Auto would definitely be bad
taste what with all the really nasty ways there are to hurt the
pedestrians (And I don't just mean weapon pickups) so I understand why
the developers don't see the need for it. Hell, someone complained to
the RSPB in this country due to the fact that in GTA:VC you can snipe
seagulls. I don't think you can really compare seagull shaped pixels to
kid shaped pixels, but sheesh.

Cheers,
Rob

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

< big cut >

I pretty much thought the same thing -- there seems to be an unwritten law
against harming children in most mediums, as many find it to be more immoral
than harming adults and thus even more disturbing, and could make a gaming
experience less enjoyable.

But, I definitely recall reading -somewhere- that the end credit images
actually explained why no children were there, possibly in an FAQ (I'll see
if I may be able to find the source).

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

Argh, and another question I forgot to ask...

- Why do the bodies of slain, non-boss and non mini-boss foes start
dissolving? As I recall, initially in the game, for the first few
encounters, the bodies stayed put when they were slain. But it didn't take
long before the bodies of enemies you killed started dissolving. This may
simple have something to do with making the game run more smoothly, as it
presumably takes more power/memory to let the bodies stay, or it may
actually have something to do with the Las Plagas. But then it seems odd
that mini-bosses did not dissolve (chainsaw wielders, clawers,
chaingunners).

Susan

"Evil Eivind" <eivind@kirkebykvalitet.com> wrote in message
> Argh, and another question I forgot to ask...
>
> - Why do the bodies of slain, non-boss and non mini-boss foes start
> dissolving? As I recall, initially in the game, for the first few
> encounters, the bodies stayed put when they were slain. But it didn't take
> long before the bodies of enemies you killed started dissolving. This may
> simple have something to do with making the game run more smoothly, as it
> presumably takes more power/memory to let the bodies stay, or it may
> actually have something to do with the Las Plagas. But then it seems odd
> that mini-bosses did not dissolve (chainsaw wielders, clawers,
> chaingunners).

Wow, Evil, you sure brought life back into this newsgroup. Interesting
questions, answers, and observations! I'm not sure if you're striking up a
conversation or simply commenting, but I applaud your interest in the game.
I personally believe the initial bodies didn't dissolve for us hard-core RE
fans. In the other RE games bodies lying around would frequently grab your
ankles and start chewing. I think Capcom left them there to let us know that
dead meant dead - no chewing. I'm pretty sure that only a few of the mini
bosses didn't dissolve - most of them did. Maybe, the mini-bosses remained
so you can have mini-celebrations!

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

Wulf wrote:
<snipety snip>
> Raccoon City has plenty of adult zombies wandering around, but not one
> child. It could be argued that the T-virus doesn't work on children,
> that they just die and are left behind, for some reason, but that's an
> in-game explanation. You don't even see zombies feeding on children.
> Outside the game, it would just be too horrific to see child zombies
> shuffling along, and the game itself would be attacked by various groups.

That's not true... IIRC in Survivor they have numerous diary entries
about children being infected and then killed for the various parts of
the brain that they needed for the Tyrant.
Either that (and/) or I have a pretty sick imagination :S .

--
Tr0n²

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

In message <deq528$ic0$1@newsm1.svr.pol.co.uk>
Tr0n² <old486whizz@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wulf wrote:
> <snipety snip>
> > Raccoon City has plenty of adult zombies wandering around, but not one
> > child.
>
> That's not true...

Err, yes it is. You never see the children zombies in gameplay, which I
think is what Wulf meant.

You're right about the Tyrant chemical though, I think I read in the
plot analysis that '..every Tyrant created means a thousand children
died somewhere'.

Quite chilling really when you think about it, before Survivor I never
really understood just how depraved Umbrella actually are/were.

Cheers,
Rob

Wulf

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005

Rob White wrote:

> It's starting to become a little more regular in films though. I
> distinctly remember seeing a child as one of the victims in the virus
> in 28 Days Later, and I think I saw a few in the Dawn Of The Dead
> Remake. You don't see any of them die though, just what happens
> afterwards (Man walks out with a big bit of wood that has blood all
> over it, etc.).

You're right, children as the victims (or potential victims) of violence
has long been a staple of Hollywood. Notice all three Jurasic Park
movies have kids. It's part of a formula. Not only do adult viewers
sympathize with the adult characters' need to protect the kids, but
child viewers identify with the child characters (and if they identify
with something in the movie, they're more likely to buy the toys).
Robin was initially introduced to the Batman comics, way back when, for
that very reason -- to give young readers someone to identify with, to
fantasize about being the Dark Knight's sidekick themselves. Of course,
every poll ever taken shows the young readers would much rather be
Batman, but that's another story.

Personally, I think this is why Sherry Birkin and Lott and his sister
(what was her name, Lily?) were added to the RE games. Not for kids to
identify with, since kids aren't supposed to be playing these games, but
in some attempt to tap into an adult's natural instinct to protect
children. Unfortunately, judging from many things I've read by fans, it
had the opposite effect, and I confess, there were times I wished Sherry
would just be eaten. Don't even get me started on Lott!

BTW, the Dawn of the Dead remake scared the snot outta me (zombies are
supposed to shuffle around slowly, not run at you full speed!), and in
the first 20 minutes, the adorable little neighbor girl attacks and
kills the main character's husband/boyfriend/whatever he was. Tell me
you were expecting that!

> I can't be certain, but the reason that kids (Or not a lot of kids) are
> seen in violent and/or scary videogames is due to the target audience.
>
> Kids appearing in a game like Grand Theft Auto would definitely be bad
> taste what with all the really nasty ways there are to hurt the
> pedestrians (And I don't just mean weapon pickups) so I understand why
> the developers don't see the need for it. Hell, someone complained to
> the RSPB in this country due to the fact that in GTA:VC you can snipe
> seagulls. I don't think you can really compare seagull shaped pixels to
> kid shaped pixels, but sheesh.
>

> Cheers,
> Rob

I agree here, too. Let's face it, even though RE4 was rated M, you know
kids are playing it. Kids beg their parents and grandparents for the
game, and all too often, it's simpler to give in to their demands, by
either renting or buying it for them. The makers know this, and they
know what sort of backlash they'd face if they made a game where six or
ten year old zombies were biting people (or in the case of RE4, hacking
at them with farm tools). Even worse, it would be the main character's
job to shoot these little zombies with increasingly larger firepower
weapons! It's one thing to use a rocket launcher against an adult in a
game, but a rugrat? No way such a game would escape notice.
('zombie' is used in this paragraph for both the 'actual' zombies in the
first RE games, as well as the Las Plagas-infected zombie-like people in
RE4)

There are people who are outraged that you can snipe seagulls in a video
game? A game wherein you routinely run down pedestrians, shoot rival
drug dealers, and/or slap around prostitutes? And it's the seagulls
they complain about? What's the world coming to?

Rob White wrote:
> In message <deq528$ic0$1@newsm1.svr.pol.co.uk>
> Tr0n² <old486whizz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Wulf wrote:
>><snipety snip>
>>
>>>Raccoon City has plenty of adult zombies wandering around, but not one
>>>child.
>>
>>That's not true...
>

> Err, yes it is. You never see the children zombies in gameplay, which I
> think is what Wulf meant.
>
> You're right about the Tyrant chemical though, I think I read in the
> plot analysis that '..every Tyrant created means a thousand children
> died somewhere'.
>
> Quite chilling really when you think about it, before Survivor I never
> really understood just how depraved Umbrella actually are/were.
>

> Cheers,
> Rob

Ahh, I should have read into it more - the splitting headache wasn't
kind to my judgment.
I respectfully withdraw my previous post and recognize Wulf's original
statement saying there were no zombie children in Raccoon City.

--
Tr0n²

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

In message <mpCdneoi8tWGuYzeRVn-oA@deskmedia.com>
Wulf <wulf@goldfieldaccess.net> wrote:

> Personally, I think this is why Sherry Birkin and Lott and his sister
> (what was her name, Lily?) were added to the RE games.

I concur, plus it runs a bit too close to the storyline of Aliens
(Little girl lost and all that). It depends if you see it as borrowing
or nicking, but the influence is still a good one.

> BTW, the Dawn of the Dead remake scared the snot outta me (zombies are
> supposed to shuffle around slowly, not run at you full speed!), and in
> the first 20 minutes, the adorable little neighbor girl attacks and
> kills the main character's husband/boyfriend/whatever he was. Tell me
> you were expecting that!

That came close to freaking me out. Living in Wimbledon I ain't scared
of much ;o)

> I agree here, too. Let's face it, even though RE4 was rated M, you know
> kids are playing it.

It's back to the Manhunt debate again. A while back some kid killed his
friend using a hammer, just like Cash does in a certain mission of
Manhunt, and a copy of the game was found in his bedroom. As it turned
out, it belonged to the victim, who was actually younger than the
killer.

The media decided to forget that this game is only for 18+ adults, and
also subsequently forgot that it was the victim's parents who bought it
for him. Funny that isn't it?

> What's the world coming to?

Beats me, I only play these games for recreation. To be honest, I'd
rather decap a human pedestrian than turn a minigun on a cow or
something.....

Cheers,
Rob

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

> Wow, Evil, you sure brought life back into this newsgroup. Interesting
> questions, answers, and observations! I'm not sure if you're striking up a
> conversation or simply commenting, but I applaud your interest in the
game.
> I personally believe the initial bodies didn't dissolve for us hard-core
RE
> fans. In the other RE games bodies lying around would frequently grab your
> ankles and start chewing. I think Capcom left them there to let us know
that
> dead meant dead - no chewing. I'm pretty sure that only a few of the mini
> bosses didn't dissolve - most of them did. Maybe, the mini-bosses remained
> so you can have mini-celebrations!

Yes, I am genuinely curious about these questions, and hope to get a few
reasonable answers. And it's often a sign of a good game that it can
generate such discussions, though some of the questions I asked hints at a
lack of character interaction and a few things which really -should- have
been explained better.

And you may have a point -- the initial bodies were left undissolved,
unmoving, as a nod to Resident Evil fans. Though the fact that they dissolve
at all still seems odd, and that the bosses/mini-bosses don't. And I think
most, if not all, of the mini-bosses were left undissolved, from what I
recall... And certainly a call for celebration!

Wulf

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Eivind wrote:

> And you may have a point -- the initial bodies were left undissolved,
> unmoving, as a nod to Resident Evil fans. Though the fact that they dissolve
> at all still seems odd, and that the bosses/mini-bosses don't. And I think
> most, if not all, of the mini-bosses were left undissolved, from what I
> recall... And certainly a call for celebration!

I'm not positive, but I think I read somewhere that the first few bodies
don't dissolve so you can 'check' them for things (ammo, herbs,
whatever) at your leisure. Remember, the very first time you played the
game, this was something you needed to discover (unless, of course,
you'd been reading newsgroups with spoilers, like I did). If I'm
remembering right, when you check the very first guy you kill, inside
the house, the message is something like "He's not a zombie" or "He
doesn't seem to be a zombie," so you discover this game will be quite
different from previous RE games -- living bad guys to shoot instead of
zombies. After that, bodies begin to dissolve to save memory, and you
need to check them before that happens if you want to get the goodies.
In most places, there's a good deal of randomness about where the bodies
would fall after you kill them, which would take up a lot of the game's
memory, keeping track of all those bodies. Bosses all fell in the same
place, so that took less memory. In fact, I think I remember killing
the village chief at one end of that warehouse, but his body ended up
right in the middle anyway. The same happened with the first El Gigante
-- once I had a rocket launcher, I'd lead it to one end of the compound
to kill it, but the body always appears in the same place. As for
mini-bosses, like chainsaw guys...not sure why they fall and stay where
you kill them (though I do seem to remember them dissolving in the mine
car ride, but it's been months since I played, so I could be mistaken).

Susan

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

My bad! I put the game back on to check, and sure enough the first two
chainsaw guys in the village didn't dissolve. Seems I was confusing
vanishing after the cut scene with dissolving. I did notice however, that
the mini bosses left better "glowing" goodies. One chainsaw guy in the
village dropped a ruby while the other dropped 10,000 pesatas (spelling?).
Maybe they don't dissolve to make sure you get your prize. I don't know how
your game is Wulf, but my game has glowing spots where goodies are left. No
need to search since it's pretty obvious. Ok Evil, here's a question for
you - what happened to the three guys on the hill just prior to entering the
village the first time? You only see them on the initial play through. They
are not there on any subsequent play throughs. It seems that Capcom prefers
to leave more questions than answers in their RE games. Perhaps the
translation from Japanese to English just adds confusion instead of solving
issues. Maybe they just like to leave things to the imagination. What I
might get out of the game may not be what you would get out of the game.
Have you heard of the "lady and the tiger"? A man gets caught in an affair.
His wife decides his fate. Her choice is between two doors. Behind one door
is a beautiful lady - behind the other door is a tiger. That's where the
story ends. It's left up to you to decide which door she picked. Maybe
someone at Capcom simply loves the notion of not resolving issues. Good
marketing ploy - it keeps you coming back for more! Has anyone figured out
what's with that dog in the barnyard? Blasted sickly looking thing creeps me
out!!!

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

The ending images are pretty clear in their assertiion that the
children were slain and eaten earlier.

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

> Ok Evil, here's a question for
> you - what happened to the three guys on the hill just prior to entering
the
> village the first time? You only see them on the initial play through.
They
> are not there on any subsequent play throughs. It seems that Capcom
prefers
> to leave more questions than answers in their RE games.

From what I've read (possibly in an FAQ), they were removed on subsequent
playthroughs as you would have been able to snipe them if they hadn't! And
apparently, their dialogue suggests that they go off to warn the others.

I don't see what harm there would be in leaving them in though, but it may
have been trickier to make happen.

Susan

"Imad Hussain" <emagius@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The ending images are pretty clear in their assertiion that the
> children were slain and eaten earlier.

I think that was only clear to you. If there were obvious or implied images
of children being eaten, then Capcom would still be facing public outcry.
The backlash against something like that would be greater that the current
GTA fiasco.

Susan

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

> From what I've read (possibly in an FAQ), they were removed on subsequent
> playthroughs as you would have been able to snipe them if they hadn't! And
> apparently, their dialogue suggests that they go off to warn the others.
>
> I don't see what harm there would be in leaving them in though, but it may
> have been trickier to make happen.

That doesn't make much sense since you can snipe every single one of them on
your subsequent playthroughs. What would make those 3 unique sniping
targets? Warn what others? You have to shoot or other wise make your
presence known to villagers. They don't know you're there. I think those 3
were only there in the first place to get you to start looking up. You know
for rocks, bridges with ganado's, and treasures. Maybe it's just a glitch.

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

I would have to disagree.

The notices in Dead Aim and Gun Survivor clearly state that Umbrella is
kidnapping and experimenting on children (later massacred during an
escape attempt). True, that's textual as opposed to graphically visual,
but the visuals during the RE4 credits aren't graphic, either. Then
there's Sherry Birkin, of course, who has her father's tentacle shoved
into her and an embryo thereby implanted in RE2.

Videogames have often had children killed, maimed, or injured in
non-graphic ways. And given RE's genre and mainstream zombie movies
having used child zombies for decades now (even Dawn of the Dead
[original]), I doubt there would be much controversy at all even were
RE to go as far as including child zombies in-game.

GTA is much removed from RE in many ways; having hypothetical child
zombies in RE would likely be treated quite differently than having
hypothetical child hookers in GTA.

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

"Imad Hussain" <emagius@gmail.com> skrev i melding
> The ending images are pretty clear in their assertiion that the
> children were slain and eaten earlier.

As Susan points out, it wasn't too clear -- or we wouldn't be discussing it.
But can the images be found somewhere online, as stills? That could
certainly be helpful.

And if they were actually eaten, it may help shed some light on the question
of whether there's any connection with the G/T viruses, and the eating
habits of those who are infected by the Las Plagas.

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

> That doesn't make much sense since you can snipe every single one of them
on
> your subsequent playthroughs. What would make those 3 unique sniping
> targets? Warn what others? You have to shoot or other wise make your
> presence known to villagers. They don't know you're there. I think those 3
> were only there in the first place to get you to start looking up. You
know
> for rocks, bridges with ganado's, and treasures. Maybe it's just a glitch.

At your first play through, they spot you and leave, saying something in
Spanish. The dialogue I recall translates into something along the lines of
"A stranger. We must warn the others." By 'the others' I presume some other
villagers are implied, but as you point out they don't seem entirely
prepared for your presence... or actually, they -do- seem prepared. There
are the boulders here and there, and they may be "keeping an eye out," but
of course they can't actually know where you are until you make your
presence known.

Hm, and speaking of boulders, perhaps these three are supposed to be the
ones rolling one of the boulders? But that's just speculation.

I don't think it's a glitch though, but it may have been unnecessarily
removed. Though the conduct of those three Ganados are probably
predetermined, so to speak, and they'd have to change that if you could
actually shoot them.

Susan

> I would have to disagree.
>
> The notices in Dead Aim and Gun Survivor clearly state that Umbrella is
> kidnapping and experimenting on children (later massacred during an
> escape attempt). True, that's textual as opposed to graphically visual,
> but the visuals during the RE4 credits aren't graphic, either. Then
> there's Sherry Birkin, of course, who has her father's tentacle shoved
> into her and an embryo thereby implanted in RE2.
>
> Videogames have often had children killed, maimed, or injured in
> non-graphic ways. And given RE's genre and mainstream zombie movies
> having used child zombies for decades now (even Dawn of the Dead
> [original]), I doubt there would be much controversy at all even were
> RE to go as far as including child zombies in-game.
>
> GTA is much removed from RE in many ways; having hypothetical child
> zombies in RE would likely be treated quite differently than having
> hypothetical child hookers in GTA.

I refer to GTA because of "parental groups" not liking the content, not
because of the game's content. One parental group freaked out over seagull
shooting. Can you imagine them remaining quiet over child cannibalism? Which
video games killed, maimed, or injured children? Certainly nothing they
weren't cured of. Movie's are different, you don't interact with them. Dead
aim and Gun Survivor only share the RE name, not the story line. I doubt it
is even the same group of programmers. I can not imagine the powers that be
at Capcom allowing children to be eaten by anyone. It is not the Japanese
way.