Sign in with
Your question

Dont know what type of dvd burners to get

Last response: in Components
September 29, 2007 5:27:08 PM

I cant decide what type of dvd burner to get.I dont really know much about them suchwrite speeds,lightscribe,etc.I dont know if i need to get one with a 52X write speed or a normal one with about 22X.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I will be using it to burn movies i have made that are quite long and slideshow movies.

More about : dont type dvd burners

September 29, 2007 6:19:37 PM

light scribe is nice in that you don't have to worry about labels. the labels will bleed if left out in the sun or on a windowsill.

if you want something to last, always burn it on the slowest speed.

ide and sata are more of a cabling preference(from what i've seen, could be wrong).

you can also get an external one with lightscribe.
September 30, 2007 12:39:07 AM

Samsung, Lite-On, and LG are all good, Of the 3 I like my Samsung best, it's the quietest. It's the 18x. I get one with LiteScribe, it will burn the label to the disk but the disks are more expensive and from what I read it takes forever. Given the price difference I'd go with a SATA, most mobo mfg are now only putting one ATA connector on their boards and so you can only use 2 ATA drives. There really won't be a significant performance difference
Related resources
October 2, 2007 12:33:38 AM

can you guys recommend a few specific dvd burners?
i think i want lightscribe and a dvd drive that can write on all dvd formats.
October 2, 2007 3:59:42 AM

If you don't need 2 Light Scribe models I would highly suggest a Pioneer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Not only do they have great reviews on NewEgg, they also get high ratings at CDFreaks and other comparison test sites dedicated to DVD and CD burners.
October 2, 2007 11:07:01 AM

defender0802 said:
can you guys recommend a few specific dvd burners?
i think i want lightscribe and a dvd drive that can write on all dvd formats.

Other than High Def, Blue Ray and HD, any DVD burner will handle the 4 types of standard DVDs, -R, -RW, +R, and +RW. It's the disks you use that determines the format. At this time, unless you have a high def camcorder, probably doesn't make much sense to get a high def recorder given DRM won't let you record commercial high def disks unless you want to hack them
!